Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
TBH as frustrating as it is that the team’s offensive isn’t performing as expected, I feel as though the reliability of *most* of the defense has been sorely, sorely missed. According to Natural Stat Trick, the Quartet of Fox/Miller/Trouba/Lindgren are all in the top-60 in even-strength TOI, and they are all around or above average in terms of most base analytics (on top of their obvious physical/offensive dynamics).
Those four are being counted-on heavily, and even if the win-column doesn’t translate right now, it still seems to me that Jacques Martin is doing something right on the blue-line.

Last edited:

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
People mention Chicago with their wing depth but they had insane depth in general and had guys that did everything in both ends of the ice. Plus they had an amazing dman in Keith. I think cups can be won with great wing depth and decent center depth but everything else needs to fall into place also. Coaches, system, player roles, getting players to buy in and play that system perfectly, defense, etc.

I think we are on the right track but we might need to make a move or two along the way to get players to do certain things or fill in other holes we have. We definitely have one of the best under 25 cores in the NHL.

Lafreniere
Kakko
Fox
Miller
Lindgren
Chytil

then you add Panarin, Kreider, Mika, Buch, Trouba to that and you should have a ridiculous team pretty soon. I don't see why that team can't compete with a few tweaks and additions of players we don't have.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
And just for the fun of it.

Panarin-Crosby-Kakko

Lafreniere-Crosby-Buchnevich

Kreider-Crosby-Chytil

ok, done

Reactions: Cmox

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
I'm healthy enough, I'd rather wait for a Cup without Crosby in a Rangers jersey. It hasn't even happened yet and I can't unsee it. Would rather lose than see Crosby or Marchand in our colors.
To each their own. I couldn't care who won a cup with us, as long as we win it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Crosby is never happening. It makes zero sense for the Rangers.

Pittsburgh would have to retain money for this to be even entertained. And when that happens, Pittsburgh will ask for even more they were already planning to ask for a 34 year old with a history of concussions. Oh and then throw in the inter-division tax. It would just be a bad idea from every aspect for the Rangers. Crosby is still producing at a near PPG pace so PIT is not just going to give him away.

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Crosby is never happening. It makes zero sense for the Rangers.

Pittsburgh would have to retain money for this to be even entertained. And when that happens, Pittsburgh will ask for even more they were already planning to ask for a 34 year old with a history of concussions. Oh and then throw in the inter-division tax. It would just be a bad idea from every aspect for the Rangers. Crosby is still producing at a near PPG pace so PIT is not just going to give him away.
Who cares? It's still fun to talk about

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Ya know, as much as it hurts to watch right now, Zib having a down year could help us re-sign him to a much more reasonable contract. Something like 7.5 per year for 5 years would be fantastic and would make it conceivable for us to get a different 1st line Center, or a complimentary 1A to Zib's 1B. Something like Barkov at 9m per year?

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Its fun to talk about? Ok, and I talked about how it makes no sense...in a roster building speculation thread.
Ok so are people supposed to not talk about it because you don't approve?

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Ya know, as much as it hurts to watch right now, Zib having a down year could help us re-sign him to a much more reasonable contract. Something like 7.5 per year for 5 years would be fantastic and would make it conceivable for us to get a different 1st line Center, or a complimentary 1A to Zib's 1B. Something like Barkov at 9m per year?
Barkov would be amazing. Not sure how we make the cap work tho

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Ok so are people supposed to not talk about it because you don't approve?
Talk away. Have fun with it. But are people not supposed to talk about the reality of the situation and bring that into the discussion with all valid points? Or is this thread only for fantasy land pipe dreams?

Reactions: pld459666

NYR3

Feb 8, 2021
Talk away. Have fun with it. But are people not supposed to talk about the reality of the situation and bring that into the discussion with all valid points? Or is this thread only for fantasy land pipe dreams?
Why does it matter to you? People can talk about whatever they want to talk about, fantasy or not. I think most people know that Crosby will never be here but neither will lots of other players mentioned

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
first crosby will retire a penguins. his legacy in pittsburgh will be 3 stanley cups, one of the best players of his generation, a hall of fame career and SAVING the franchise from relocation. his legacy will be just fine. I don't care what dreger is pulling out of his arse, he doesn't need to 'protect' his legacy by letting himself be traded.

from the rangers stand point, if he was a UFA then you could have a discussion about how good he still is and the value of adding a player with his experience. but the pens aren't trading him to use for ryan strome and a 2nd. there is ZERO chance that the pens would trade him to us for less than an insane offer. the whole point from their stand point would be an instant rebuild so you'd basically be talking about undoing a huge chunk of what we've build so far

Reactions: RGY

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Penguins will tank for 10 years, hit (of course they will hit) on two massive generational talents a few drafts apart, win a few cups, then suck for another 10. Rinse, repeat, waddle, whatever. Why Pittsburgh? Like, why that f***ing city,

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
first crosby will retire a penguins. his legacy in pittsburgh will be 3 stanley cups, one of the best players of his generation, a hall of fame career and SAVING the franchise from relocation. his legacy will be just fine. I don't care what dreger is pulling out of his arse, he doesn't need to 'protect' his legacy by letting himself be traded.

from the rangers stand point, if he was a UFA then you could have a discussion about how good he still is and the value of adding a player with his experience. but the pens aren't trading him to use for ryan strome and a 2nd. there is ZERO chance that the pens would trade him to us for less than an insane offer. the whole point from their stand point would be an instant rebuild so you'd basically be talking about undoing a huge chunk of what we've build so far
Get out of here with all this logic. This is the fantasy dream land thread.

Reactions: Leetch3

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Only way that scenario happens is if he continues to play poorly for the remainder of the year and the rangers move one of Kreider or Trouba’s contracts faster then anticipated

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
People mention Chicago with their wing depth but they had insane depth in general and had guys that did everything in both ends of the ice. Plus they had an amazing dman in Keith. I think cups can be won with great wing depth and decent center depth but everything else needs to fall into place also. Coaches, system, player roles, getting players to buy in and play that system perfectly, defense, etc.

I think we are on the right track but we might need to make a move or two along the way to get players to do certain things or fill in other holes we have. We definitely have one of the best under 25 cores in the NHL.

Lafreniere
Kakko
Fox
Miller
Lindgren
Chytil

then you add Panarin, Kreider, Mika, Buch, Trouba to that and you should have a ridiculous team pretty soon. I don't see why that team can't compete with a few tweaks and additions of players we don't have.
This. The thing with the hawks was they also had a lot of unsung heroes on their 3rd and 4th lines that came up big when called upon. Guys like Bickell, Shaw, Kruger, Versteeg etc. they were all given large contracts because of it, more then warranted IMO. The rangers are going to need that as well. Guys like Lemmy, Blackwell, Rooney, Barron, maybe Hendriksson and Berard. You need that come playoff time. They also made shrewd deals acquiring guys like Handzus etc. not necessarily the flashiest guys or the biggest targets, but the guys they needed to fit their style. Similar to what Tampa did when they acquired Goodrow and Coleman. Did they overpay?? Maybe but it got them to the promise land, and they still going for it.

Reactions: NYR3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad