Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
From another Flames fan stalking this thread ( :( ) the Flames weren't willing to trade Valimaki for Stone awhile back at the deadline. They view him super highly (probably similar to how Rangers fans feel about Miller now) and wouldn't be including him as a throw-in, he'd be a significant piece to add from the Flames perspective.
None of us know what the Flames and Rangers are discussing, but Calgary is against the cap worse than we are. From what's been reported, it'll take more than a "throw-in" to get the Rangers to retain significant salary on Deangelo.

To that point, and since its also been reported that Calgary's interest in Deangelo is lukewarm, maybe a Bennett deal isnt connected to Deangelo at all.

Valimaki might not be available, but he certainly isnt getting the sniff that Miller is here. I dont think that's a valid comparison.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 2.16.27 PM.png

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I think the holdup is that a deal has not been struck.

Probably due diligence and indecision by Calgary.

This should be an easy deal to figure out personnel wise. There’s only a few players who seem to fit. Rangers are prob happy to break even on salary for the season if they are returning an asset.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
We all know what the deal is. Ryan + Bennett + pick for ADA + Pick

Just finalize it already
I get they need to make the cap work but they just give us Derek Ryan? He isn't exactly useless. That'd make for a gigantic logjam for us in the bottom 6.

LAF-Bennett-PDG
Lemieux-Rooney-Blackwell-Gauthier-Howden-Ryan

and when Chytil is back, the jam will be jommed

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I get they need to make the cap work but they just give us Derek Ryan? He isn't exactly useless. That'd make for a gigantic logjam for us in the bottom 6.

LAF-Bennett-PDG

No takebacks a deal’s a deal.
/s

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

LAF-Bennett-PDG

This team needs more jam.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
None of us know what the Flames and Rangers are discussing, but Calgary is against the cap worse than we are. From what's been reported, it'll take more than a "throw-in" to get the Rangers to retain significant salary on Deangelo.

To that point, and since its also been reported that Calgary's interest in Deangelo is lukewarm, maybe a Bennett deal isnt connected to Deangelo at all.

Valimaki might not be available, but he certainly isnt getting the sniff that Miller is here. I dont think that's a valid comparison.

It's valid.

Miller is playing 2 minutes more, but that's because NYR's leftside D is "meh" Ryan Lindgren and less than "meh" Libor Hajek.

CGY's left D is Giordano and Hanifin.

Now, you could certainly make the case that Miller is the better asset or maybe has a brighter future. Maybe, maybe not. But at this point there is zero reason for CGY to be throwing an entry level, expansion exempt D who is playing close to 17 minutes a night. And comparing him to a similar aged guy playing maybe a minute a half more on a team with far worse LD depth.... is a totally fair comparison.

Reactions: Mazatt

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
It's valid.

Miller is playing 2 minutes more, but that's because NYR's leftside D is "meh" Ryan Lindgren and less than "meh" Libor Hajek.

CGY's left D is Giordano and Hanifin.

Now, you could certainly make the case that Miller is the better asset or maybe has a brighter future. Maybe, maybe not. But at this point there is zero reason for CGY to be throwing an entry level, expansion exempt D who is playing close to 17 minutes a night. And comparing him to a similar aged guy playing maybe a minute a half more on a team with far worse LD depth.... is a totally fair comparison.
Ok, but Miller is playing against other teams’ top offensive threats and Valimaki has just scratched his way onto Calgary’s third pair. I think Miller would play over Hanifin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad