Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXXIX - Clever Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
In fairness to Dreger, he is contractually obligated to link the Rangers to every piece of speculation and rumor.

That was a cute theory. But Rutherford walked out because he couldn't trade players in the tier under Crosby. Obviously, the compromise for Ron "tear it down to the studs" Hextall was to wait until the end of the season. But Crosby will remain off limits and he retires a Pen. Letang is probably traded, maybe Malkin.

Imagine Brodeur was hired Rangers GM and he traded Brian Leetch to the 3rd power in his first year. Yeah, that'll work out great for all parties involved.

Last edited:

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Winning the lottery x2 turned into a sick twisted curse. If we stayed at our expected draft spot we come out with Zegras and Jarvis

only only the Rongos

Except Lafreniere didn't get to play in the WJC or in the AHL. He's currently on the NHL roster where there was no real training camp or exhibition games. While his offense is lacking thus far, he's also been snake-bitten and hasn't otherwise looked out of place against NHL players.

Reactions: Cag29

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Winning the lottery x2 turned into a sick twisted curse. If we stayed at our expected draft spot we come out with Zegras and Jarvis

only only the Rongos
I maintain that a Kakko for Zegras swap should have been explored the second the Laf lottery ball fell our way. It should probably still be explored, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Anaheim said no.

Insane wing depth is not a winning formula. The Rangers are unlucky even when they are lucky. Does Chicago win Cups with a core built around Kessel and Kane instead of Toews and Kane?

Last edited:

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
remind me again of all the success those 2 have had in the nhl so far

Remind me how their teams are letting them learn the game while dominating their peers and lesser skilled vets in lower leagues.

NYR is not the early 2000's Red Wings sheltering Datsyuk and Zetterberg in nothing roles. We have a very green NHL coach who is trying to build his resume with wins, and a top 6 that is lacking Type A personalities.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I dont know how you look at Ryan Strome and say ‘well we absolutely won the Spooner-Strome trade so we should just be happy and leave it at that’. Thats not how this works. He isnt exempt from criticism, or the degree at which he receives it, because we won the trade. Thats just absurd.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
You’ve got to move on from thinking that Strome is signed to $Spooner for Spooner years, and at a Spooner cap hit. There are real implications by his contract and his level of play does not justify them.

What is the other option? Sure, I’d much prefer Barkov, but it’s not like there was a glut of top 6 centers available in the off-season. You can do worse with a middle 6 center who has chemistry with you best player.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I dont know how you look at Ryan Strome and say ‘well we absolutely won the Spooner-Strome trade so we should just be happy and leave it at that’. Thats not how this works. He isnt exempt from criticism, or the degree at which he receives it, because we won the trade. Thats just absurd.

Criticism in his game is warranted. Sure, we’d all like a better center, but compare his criticism compared to a guy like Kakko who gets never ending praise. Compare those stats over the last 1.5 seasons.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I maintain that a Kakko for Zegras swap should have been explored the second the Laf lottery ball fell our way. It should probably still be explored, but I wouldn’t be shocked if Anaheim said no.

Insane wing depth is not a winning formula. The Rangers are unlucky even when they are lucky. Does Chicago win Cups with a core built around Kessel and Kane instead of Toews and Kane?
Does Chicago win Cups with a core built around Toews and not-Kane?

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm reserving judgement until the 20 game mark or so. But so far I would say that there have been 4 losses due to a wrong mistake at the wrong time. The games have been very tight. To me a bigger question is around the quality of competition. There are a lot of good teams in the East. A lot of them. They made the Rangers pay, but all in all I can't say I'm disappointed in the team.

They aren't good enough to win unless every guy shows up and does what they are supposed to do for a full 60. I thought that you are still seeing tendencies that are repetitive out there, and a lot of perimeter passing that doesn't always result in a perfect play. I can't say that most nights are effortless or filled with a ton of mistakes. You have teams like the Isles, Pit, and Bos that don't mind playing a more grinding game. I still think the Rangers are learning how to win those games.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
How long until the Buchnevich rumors start flying around again? Edmonton appears to be in need of secondary scoring long term (duh) and have been linked to him in the past multiple times. With the 2021 draft being one that appears to be more difficult to scout due to less games being played, I wonder if Edmonton will finally be willing to trade their 1st + ______ for Buch

Also, @Edge , any way the Rangers and Sens rekindle their Strome dialogue with the thought process of sending Stepan to NY along with other pieces for Strome?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Criticism in his game is warranted. Sure, we’d all like a better center, but compare his criticism compared to a guy like Kakko who gets never ending praise. Compare those stats over the last 1.5 seasons.
This is apples and oranges though. People could look past Kakko’s mistakes because he was an 18 year old rookie last year. Even this year, although he has done far, far more good than bad during his shifts. Strome is a 7 year vet. There is no excuse for the mistakes he makes as if he is the 18 year old.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
Any reason why? A cup is a cup. I doubt we ever get Crosby but if we ever did and won a cup with him, it would be amazing

It would be like losing your virginity to a hooker with herpes while not using protection. Amazing in the moment, but tainted for life afterwards.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Any reason why? A cup is a cup. I doubt we ever get Crosby but if we ever did and won a cup with him, it would be amazing
I'm healthy enough, I'd rather wait for a Cup without Crosby in a Rangers jersey. It hasn't even happened yet and I can't unsee it. Would rather lose than see Crosby or Marchand in our colors.

Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad