Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
This Eichel thing is odd. This is not how JG does business. It's not often there's a leak first. That was more of a Sather move.

The Rangers don't gain much from a leak unless they're trying to emotionally prep the fan base for trading away some bigger prospects. Which just seems I dunno, unlikely and not helpful to negotiations.

The reasons this would leak:

1. Eichel and Agent are putting pressure on the Sabres.
2. Sabres are prepping their fanbase for moving Eichel (but the deal would have to be done, essentially)
3. Sabres are secretly in a bad spot and have to trade Eichel either to do internal cap situation, Eichel wanting out or BOTH. And they are using the Rangers to drive up price.
4. I dunno, maybe it's just fun to have some noise?

Otherwise, I just don't get why this leaks.

And lastly, I don't think Bettman is keen on BIG moves like this happening before the SC is awarded.
Great post.

this didn’t get leaked accidentally. This reeks of strategy from the player agent.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
You're right that Buffalo has a problem with attracting players, which is exactly why they would be looking for roster players who are already established. They have been treading water for years trying to build through the draft, and it hasn't worked.

Just wait for climate change to really kick in, people will be crawling over each other's backs to move to Buffalo :P

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Let's look at the list of teams who would be able to make a move for Eichel and put together a package of futures that would entice Buffalo.

Let's first rule out everyone in their division. There's NO chance they trade Eichel to Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit. They'd be seeing him FAR too regularly for that to work out well.

Montreal - No
Toronto - No
Boston - No
Detroit - No
Ottawa - No
FLA - No
TB - No

Philly - With what cap space?
NYR -
NYI - With what cap space?
NJ - Who are they trading?
CAR - No need or cap space
PIT - No cap space or the trade pieces to make it work
WAS - No space or pieces

STL - With what cap space?
COL - Who are they trading? Maybe Byram? Can they fit him in once Mack needs a contract?
DAL - Who are they trading that is more attractive than what the Rangers are offering?
NSH - See Dallas
WPG - Maybe Laine +?
MIN - What pieces do the have that would entice Buffalo?
CHI - Maybe?

VEG - What pieces?
EDM - No need
VAN - Cap hell
CAL - Maybe?
ARI - What pieces?
ANA - Maybe?
LA - Maybe?

SJ - What pieces?

So that leaves as possible teams who can MAYBE give them what they would want:

NYR
LA
ANA
CAL
CHI
WPG
I’ll go a step further and let’s assume that Jack won’t want a Canadian market outside of say Montreal or Toronto, I don’t think ANA has the pieces and CHI or LA pieces are questionable and/or would mean essentially gutting their teams. If he forces the issue, we could get him at a bargain price relatively speaking.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Not trying to be contrarian and as much as I like Chytil I’m sure quite a few teams can beat that.

how many teams have a deangelo and buchnevich to add to the deal too? you point to Chytil who would be the 3rd or 4th most valuable piece in the trade depending on how you feel about the value of the 1st.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
This Eichel thing is odd. This is not how JG does business. It's not often there's a leak first. That was more of a Sather move.

The Rangers don't gain much from a leak unless they're trying to emotionally prep the fan base for trading away some bigger prospects. Which just seems I dunno, unlikely and not helpful to negotiations.

The reasons this would leak:

1. Eichel and Agent are putting pressure on the Sabres.
2. Sabres are prepping their fanbase for moving Eichel (but the deal would have to be done, essentially)
3. Sabres are secretly in a bad spot and have to trade Eichel either due to internal cap situation, Eichel wanting out or BOTH. And they are using the Rangers to drive up price.
4. I dunno, maybe it's just fun to have some noise?

Otherwise, I just don't get why this leaks.

And lastly, I don't think Bettman is keen on BIG moves like this happening before the SC is awarded.
What if the leak was from Buffalo

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You're right that Buffalo has a problem with attracting players, which is exactly why they would be looking for roster players who are already established. They have been treading water for years trying to build through the draft, and it hasn't worked.

Well that's why I think the Rangers are a team that could make it happen. DeAngelo and Buch/Chytil gives them two cost controlled players. Then throw in some futures on top of that like #22 and maybe a prospect or pick in 2021 and they're getting some "now" as well as "later" in the deal. Toss #8 on top of Cozens, Dahlin, Reinhart, Olofsson, Jokiharju, etc, and it's not a bad group to build around.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Not likely. Could someone beat it. Possibly, but not many teams would willing to give up that much talent.
If the avs came along and offered Rantanen and Byram and a lower prospect?

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Agreed and I like Eichel but he’s just one center... and we need 4 right? Or do we trot out the CHI won with scraps caveat again?

No, I think we see what happens in two years. Maybe Henriksson, Howden and Barron cement themselves as bottom six centers at that time. Maybe the Rangers use the depth they have at LD in the organization to pry a cheap 2C from another organization.

Reactions: Trxjw

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Agreed and I like Eichel but he’s just one center... and we need 4 right? Or do we trot out the CHI won with scraps caveat again?
I wouldn't say Chicago won with scraps but they won with 4th liners at 2C.

They were absolutely busted at wing and we're headed in that direction.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
I really hope Gordon has called up Florida about Barkov. Would rather have Barkov than Eichel given his cap hit and two way game.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I really hope Gordon has called up Florida about Barkov. Would rather have Barkov than Eichel given his cap hit and two way game.

You're really just kicking the can down the road a couple years though. Barkov will likely come in at over Eichel's current number and you'll still have the same decisions to make with Zibanejad.

BleedinBLUEsince92

Oct 30, 2009
Northern NJ
I may be in the minority here, but IF we could make it work and bring in Jack Eichel, I'm cool with Kakko being the main piece. Realistically we wouldn't be able to afford all of them anyway if they pan out... Panarin, Eichel, Zibanejad, Kakko, Lafreniere, and that's not counting players like Fox. I don't see how an elite center like Eichel is in the budget though unless we don't re-sign Zibanejad.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Go look at the history of these types or deals. Every time speculation comes up, the narrative is the same. The deal that gets done never matches the narrative...unless Pierre Dorion is involved.
It’s easy to get hyperbolic with cost when guys like that become available.

history shows that these hyperbolic requirements rarely, if ever, come to fruition.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The difference is the remaining term for both players. Gorton may have both Eichel and Barkov on his long-term radar. If you strike out on trading for Eichel, then get Zib extended and make a pitch to Barkov as a UFA in 2022.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
What if the leak was from Buffalo
These small leaks and discussions from credible sources is exactly how the movement of legit start players begin to materialize. These deals rarely come out of nowhere anymore. It's like a process of breaking the conceptual ice. There is a short window for a trade involving this large of a salary and that is within the next 2-3 weeks, after that you're looking at next off-season. Let the fun commence

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad