Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Eichel wants out, Buffalo has no choice but to take back the best package they can get for him.

No one will offer anything like the 1 OA or Kakko. And again, what team has the space/assets to match or beat a base package around Chytil, DeAngelo and the 22OA?

Not saying thats all it would take, but thats a young center, a young, top 5 offensive D in the league and the pick to start.

Let's look at the list of teams who would be able to make a move for Eichel and put together a package of futures that would entice Buffalo.

Let's first rule out everyone in their division. There's NO chance they trade Eichel to Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit. They'd be seeing him FAR too regularly for that to work out well.

Montreal - No
Toronto - No
Boston - No
Detroit - No
Ottawa - No
FLA - No
TB - No

Philly - With what cap space?
NYR -
NYI - With what cap space?
NJ - Who are they trading?
CAR - No need or cap space
PIT - No cap space or the trade pieces to make it work
WAS - No space or pieces

STL - With what cap space?
COL - Who are they trading? Maybe Byram? Can they fit him in once Mack needs a contract?
DAL - Who are they trading that is more attractive than what the Rangers are offering?
NSH - See Dallas
WPG - Maybe Laine +?
MIN - What pieces do the have that would entice Buffalo?
CHI - Maybe?

VEG - What pieces?
EDM - No need
VAN - Cap hell
CAL - Maybe?
ARI - What pieces?
ANA - Maybe?
LA - Maybe?

SJ - What pieces?

So that leaves as possible teams who can MAYBE give them what they would want:

NYR
LA
ANA
CAL
CHI
WPG

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
ADA and Strome are projected to get about 5 mil each, so that's roughly 10 mil in and 11 mil out, but we have to replace ADA and Chytil. Assume the replacements make 2 mil total. It's a little tighter, but doable, depending on what Lemmy gets.

I just don't see any reason why Buffalo would accept that. In the unlikely event that Buffalo trades Eichel, they are going to be looking for roster players who make them better now. They aren't going to want futures, and everything you are offering is futures, except ADA. And no, I don't think adding Strome to the deal would move the needle. I honestly don't see a deal happening unless we send Zibby +.

Fair, but the cap numbers can work both this year and next. Beyond that, of course it's blurry

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
How many roster players do you want to lose so we can add Eichel? And how does that help a team that already has depth issues?
If you can land a franchise center for "depth" players, you do that every single time. Dynasties are built around foundational players. If the NYR believe thats Eichel could be one of those players, you go get him and worry about depth later.

Reactions: Inferno and mas0764

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Let's look at the list of teams who would be able to make a move for Eichel and put together a package of futures that would entice Buffalo.

Let's first rule out everyone in their division. There's NO chance they trade Eichel to Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Detroit. They'd be seeing him FAR too regularly for that to work out well.

Montreal - No
Toronto - No
Boston - No
Detroit - No
Ottawa - No
FLA - No
TB - No

NYR -
WAS - No space or pieces

COL - Who are they trading? Maybe Byram? Can they fit him in once Mack needs a contract?
DAL - Who are they trading that is more attractive than what the Rangers are offering?
NSH - See Dallas
WPG - Maybe Laine +?
CHI - Maybe?

VEG - What pieces?
EDM - No need
VAN - Cap hell
CAL - Maybe?
ARI - What pieces?
ANA - Maybe?
LA - Maybe?

SJ - What pieces?

NYR
LA
ANA
CAL
CHI
WPG

Yeah and while he doesn't have "no trade" protection yet, you can bet that he has some pull as to where he will go so you can take out the Western Canadian teams (the last thing a team wants to do is trade for a guy who really has no desire to play with them.)

so that leaves...

LA
Chicago
Anaheim.

LA has the prospects, Anaheim is kind of in flux as is Chicago. In terms of immediate impact and quality, Chytil+ADA is something that none of those teams can touch.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
How many roster players do you want to lose so we can add Eichel? And how does that help a team that already has depth issues?

My point is that it can been done financially without including Trouba. Trouba's $8 million just had $5.7 cut out of it, based Larry's math. If the Rangers use Buchnevich to bring back a 2C, Strome is more than likely getting moved as a cost cutting measure. And, we still don't know how Lundqvist is getting handled, or whether the Rangers do end up dealing DeAngelo.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I'm more than okay with adding Eichel at the expense of guys like Buch, ADA and Strome. The organization has depth coming and they would have 4-6 guys already in house who elevate their linemates play (Panarin, Zib, Kreider, Laf, Eichel and maybe Kaako?).

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
ADA and Strome are projected to get about 5 mil each, so that's roughly 10 mil in and 11 mil out, but we have to replace ADA and Chytil. Assume the replacements make 2 mil total. It's a little tighter, but doable, depending on what Lemmy gets.

I just don't see any reason why Buffalo would accept that. In the unlikely event that Buffalo trades Eichel, they are going to be looking for roster players who make them better now. They aren't going to want futures, and everything you are offering is futures, except ADA. And no, I don't think adding Strome to the deal would move the needle. I honestly don't see a deal happening unless we send Zibby +.

Well the premise for all of this is that Eichel wants to leave. Otherwise there's no reason for the Sabres to even be considering it. If they move Eichel they're 100% entering a new rebuilding era. Getting Zibanejad seems good in the short term but the centerpiece for Eichel walking away in two years is a pretty damn bad look for that front office.

Buffalo knows they have a problem when it comes to being an attractive place to play. Not a major market. Not a hot city. Had to severely overpay Skinner just to get him to stay. Having young, cost controlled players is going to be critical if they're going to rebuild a contender. Once guys have the option to leave, they're almost certainly going to leave unless they can rebuild their brand.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
If you can land a franchise center for "depth" players, you do that every single time. Dynasties are built around foundational players. If the NYR believe thats Eichel could be one of those players, you go get him and worry about depth later.

Like when Toronto signed Tavares? We already have plenty of foundational players? This isn't pokemon. We don't need to catch them all.

thethirdhockeyman91

Jun 22, 2018
Agreed. Just the thought of Mika and Eichel down the middle makes me rock hard.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Like when Toronto signed Tavares? We already have plenty of foundational players? This isn't pokemon. We don't need to catch them all.

I think one of the many differences there is that the Rangers have a glut of young inexpensive ELC talent still on the way or on the roster currently. Toronto had little behind their big guys. Also their defense was atrocious.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
I'm sorry but franchise centers are crucial to long-term success and sustained success in the playoffs. Depending on the cost I still stand by my assertion that if you can add a franchise center for "depth" pieces, you do it every time.

Reactions: mas0764

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

NYR
LA
ANA
CAL
CHI
WPG

And of these teams, we would make the most sense. LA is still in the early to mid rebuild stages, have cap commitments and center is not an area of need for them, especially after they make their pick. Anaheim also in the beginning stages and not as cash rich. Calgary could but they can't compete with us assets wise. Chicago has a good pool but they'd have 30 mill tied up in 3 players with Toews and Kane, plus they couldn't compete assets wise. Winnipeg has a major asset in Laine but I just don't see that working, and as @GoAwayStaal says, he's not gonna wanna play in Winnipeg, because almost nobody does.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think one of the many differences there is that the Rangers have a glut of young inexpensive ELC talent still on the way or on the roster currently. Toronto had little behind their big guys. Also their defense was atrocious.

Exactly. The Rangers have a lot of quality pieces on defense that will be inexpensive for the near future.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think I just have a hard time envisioning outside of NHL 20 an actual NHL roster consisting of Panarin, Zibanejad, Kakko, Laf, Eichel, Kreider. The amount of talent in that top 6 is absolutely silly.

Agreed, and I'm not saying a deal is going to happen. And, more than likely, acquiring Eichel means goodbye to Zibanejad in two years.

Reactions: Trxjw

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
And of these teams, we would make the most sense. LA is still in the early to mid rebuild stages, have cap commitments and center is not an area of need for them, especially after they make their pick. Anaheim also in the beginning stages and not as cash rich. Calgary could but they can't compete with us assets wise. Chicago has a good pool but they'd have 30 mill tied up in 3 players with Toews and Kane, plus they couldn't compete assets wise. Winnipeg has a major asset in Laine but I just don't see that working.

Looking at their situation, they could theoretically package together DeBrincat+Boqvist and their 2020 1st which is is higher than our Carolina pick.

DeBrincat had a pretty crap season, but he's still just 22 and has a track record. I guess they fall into the possible category as well.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Or his salary comes from what you saved with Staal, what you save on ADA going the other way, and moving Strome for the picks that no one thinks the Rangers would move him for.

And suddenly those ELC's for Lafreniere, Kakko, Lundkvist, Shesterkin, etc. all start to come into focus.
Forgive my ask but wouldn’t one of those ELCs be going along with ADA?
I can’t imagine Buffalo taking ADA and a 21 1st rounder giving us the goods to be damn good next yr (even with our LD issue that isn’t resolved)

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

Montreal - No
Toronto - No
Boston - No
Detroit - No
Ottawa - No
FLA - No
TB - No

NYR -
WAS - No space or pieces

NSH - See Dallas
WPG - Maybe Laine +?
CHI - Maybe?

VEG - What pieces?
EDM - No need
VAN - Cap hell
CAL - Maybe?
ARI - What pieces?
ANA - Maybe?
LA - Maybe?

SJ - What pieces?

NYR
LA
ANA
CAL
CHI
WPG

I think Buffalo would gladly work with the Rangers if they want to rebuild their team. Find a team with some cap room and a ton of prospects.

problem is the Rangers cap will be a mess and, again, i think you lose Zibby. Now you’re out Zibby and the prospects.

i don’t like the sound of that. Do you?

Reactions: leetch99

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
The more I think about it, maybe these conversations went on weeks ago that Bob was privy to but didn't take all that seriously bc it kept coming down to "none of this matters unless the Rangers clear Staal or Hank cap cleanly off the books." Everything pointed at Hank. No one even thought about Staal.

He figured it was all such a big what if...........until Staal cleared and now that hurdle cleared so he should report it.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Sharks remain interested in a goalie. They've chatted with the Rangers a few times over the last 10 months. Sometimes players were discussed, sometimes picks. No deal reached yet.

any idea on the players or caliber players being discussed? just curious what type of deal is realistic for georgiev if not picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad