Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The more I think about it, maybe these conversations went on weeks ago that Bob was privy to but didn't take all that seriously bc it kept coming down to "none of this matters unless the Rangers clear Staal or Hank cap cleanly off the books." Everything pointed at Hank. No one even thought about Staal.

He figured it was all such a big what if...........until Staal cleared and now that hurdle cleared so he should report it.
fetchimage

Reactions: Leetch3 and Trxjw

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think Buffalo would gladly work with the Rangers if they want to rebuild their team. Find a team with some cap room and a ton of prospects.

problem is the Rangers cap will be a mess and, again, i think you lose Zibby. Now you’re out Zibby and the prospects.

i don’t like the sound of that. Do you?

I'm not sure I LIVE the idea of giving Zibanejad a 7-8 year deal at 29 either though

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Forgive my ask but wouldn’t one of those ELCs be going along with ADA?
I can’t imagine Buffalo taking ADA and a 21 1st rounder giving us the goods to be damn good next yr (even with our LD issue that isn’t resolved)

DeAngelo, Buchnevich, Chytil and Carolina's pick is a hell of package that not many teams could be able to beat.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
No I know. I would be alright with that. Eichel would still have three years left and Mika will be looking for an absurd pay day.
The issue is we're back to square 1 of needing a 2C. Unless we expect one to make it to the market by that time.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I'm not sure I LIVE the idea of giving Zibanejad a 7-8 year deal at 29 either though

agree but what’s the hurry in making that decision today? This move is basically moving out Zibby and all these prospects before Laf and many of these prospects have even hit the ice.

Maybe we don’t need to go all in on pricey stars b/c we have enough inexpensive ones

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
The issue is we're back to square 1 of needing a 2C. Unless we expect one to make it to the market by that time.

Except our 1C is better younger and signed through the entirety of our prospective window and the 2C/3C needs can now be shared by 2 average centers.

Reactions: mas0764

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
DeAngelo, Buchnevich, Chytil and Carolina's pick is a hell of package that not many teams could be able to beat.
Not trying to be contrarian and as much as I like Chytil I’m sure quite a few teams can beat that.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Bob Mckenzie never posts a rumor unless there is some legitimate traction to it. The fact that he only mentioned the Rangers means it must be a strong possibility.

or he felt it was already a rumor since someone asked him about it and he was taking the time to shoot it down

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
to be fair, we were motivated to lie to get you to stop making proposals :naughty:
I’ll give this to you- “we were motivated to lie” does sound a lot better than “I was posting stuff, but didn’t know what I was talking about.”

But I don’t make proposals, and flimsy arguments wouldn’t stop me if I did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Teams don't often make the 3 or 4 trades that people are discussing. If there is an offer for Eichel, which there probably isn't, its probably consolidated to Strome, ADA, Georgiev, Andersson and the 22nd. All the eggs beings discussed as getting moved in one basket. I don't see them trading a bunch of players for Eichel, then trading a couple of other players for useless picks that then make the team weaker now, which would be counter productive to adding Eichel.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
This Eichel thing is odd. This is not how JG does business. It's not often there's a leak first. That was more of a Sather move.

The Rangers don't gain much from a leak unless they're trying to emotionally prep the fan base for trading away some bigger prospects. Which just seems I dunno, unlikely and not helpful to negotiations.

The reasons this would leak:

1. Eichel and Agent are putting pressure on the Sabres.
2. Sabres are prepping their fanbase for moving Eichel (but the deal would have to be done, essentially)
3. Sabres are secretly in a bad spot and have to trade Eichel either due to internal cap situation, Eichel wanting out or BOTH. And they are using the Rangers to drive up price.
4. I dunno, maybe it's just fun to have some noise?

Otherwise, I just don't get why this leaks.

And lastly, I don't think Bettman is keen on BIG moves like this happening before the SC is awarded.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well the premise for all of this is that Eichel wants to leave. Otherwise there's no reason for the Sabres to even be considering it. If they move Eichel they're 100% entering a new rebuilding era. Getting Zibanejad seems good in the short term but the centerpiece for Eichel walking away in two years is a pretty damn bad look for that front office.

Buffalo knows they have a problem when it comes to being an attractive place to play. Not a major market. Not a hot city. Had to severely overpay Skinner just to get him to stay. Having young, cost controlled players is going to be critical if they're going to rebuild a contender. Once guys have the option to leave, they're almost certainly going to leave unless they can rebuild their brand.

You're right that Buffalo has a problem with attracting players, which is exactly why they would be looking for roster players who are already established. They have been treading water for years trying to build through the draft, and it hasn't worked.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Not trying to be contrarian and as much as I like Chytil I’m sure quite a few teams can beat that.
Without completely blowing up their franchise? I feel like we should be adding Kravstov and one of our d-men prospects, but even with that we’re far from blowing up our team. We have so much young, cheap talent as well as the cap space.

The Rangers haven’t been in this good of a position for a very long time. While we’re not quite at the super competitive level yet, we’re getting really close and our window looks like it could be for several years. There is of course a balance, but we have a lot of intriguing pieces to make trades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad