Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Seems about right, although Eichel being so young and not having the ability to necessarily dictate where he goes probably brings back a bit more.

You also have the current economic back drop. Who knows if teams that have the talent to trade would be willing to take on Eichel’s contract? There are quite a few things playing in the Rangers’ favor here.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Buffalo is not trading the centerpiece of their franchise, locked in for 8 years, for Chytil and Kravtsov or Tony Deangelo or a bag of things Ranger fans would be cool with them leaving. If anything happens it'll be #1 or Kakko. I have to think that's where it begins.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Seems about right, although Eichel being so young and not having the ability to necessarily dictate where he goes probably brings back a bit more.

I think the frame work is solid though. I do think there would be other pieces involved but yeah.

Even if he doesn't have a call as to where he can go, no team is going to trade for him with out him being cool with going there (See: Winnipeg.) Buffalo may not care, but the other team will.

Then there is the whole deal of his cap hit and being able to fit it in while having the appropriate assets. That really dwindles the realistic destinations down to like 4 or 5.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
Eichel is tremendous but what's the point of the cost if it means Zibby is going to have to go? The price and cap hit isn't worth it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Eichel and Zibanejad would be like many other teams with dynamic star center pairings. Crosby-Malkin, McDavid-Draisaitl, Matthews-Tavares...

One of the things you'll notice about those teams is that for the most part they can't afford a large number of well paid star wingers (Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere, Kakko) long term.

It would be a rebuilt-team defining move to make that kind of play, and it's just way way too early to do so. If Zibanejad stays at this level he is going to want almost doubt his current salary.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Buffalo is not trading the centerpiece of their franchise, locked in for 8 years, for Chytil and Kravtsov or Tony Deangelo or a bag of things Ranger fans would be cool with them leaving. If anything happens it'll be #1 or Kakko. I have to think that's where it begins.

If hes demanding a trade, they don't really have a choice.

You're acting like Buffalo would be dealing in a position of power. They wouldn't be. No team is giving up a high end ELC player for a 10 million dollar player who isn't McDavid.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Buffalo is not going to have their choice of all 30 teams to pick or choose. A limited market, especially if Eichel forces their hand, means they may not have a choice.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
How is acquiring Barkov as a 2C kicking anything down the road?

Because you're waiting for it to happen and banking on it. And what if he doesn't sign with us or demands too much money? Or what if Florida resigns him? Rangers need to set the window for now and start planning for the next 5 years over the course of the next year. Set up your core, start planning out how you move forward after ELCs expire, and look at potential moves like that as a luxury rather than a necessity. If you sign Barkov, can you sign Mika as well? Mika is very much a wild card and a concern. Maybe the org thinks Chytil will Fil in as the 2C and are more confident than the board, and that's what they're banking on. I dunno.

Reactions: McSauer

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
My question is why would the Avs do that?
Just spitballing. I feel that Buffalo is gonna want something back they can sell to their fanbase And also be able to contribute immediately especially at the forward position.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
One of the only ways you deal the 1 overall for eichel is if you can con buffalo into retaining half of eichels cap hit. Wouldn't that be the most buffalo thing to do. Or better yet imagine:

1oa strome to ottawa for 3oa BT and 28oa

3oa chytil ada 28oa to buffalo for eichel

Semi Bern...

Last edited:

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I think the frame work is solid though. I do think there would be other pieces involved but yeah.

Even if he doesn't have a call as to where he can go, no team is going to trade for him with out him being cool with going there (See: Winnipeg.) Buffalo may not care, but the other team will.

Then there is the whole deal of his cap hit and being able to fit it in while having the appropriate assets. That really dwindles the realistic destinations down to like 4 or 5.
Agreed with you and Jas for the most part. you are right that he has a degree of control, that's why I put necessarily.

I know I have harped on him but I do wonder if Trouba would be a more ideal fit in an Eichel trade for Buffalo. They would probably like to slot him in right next to Dahlin and not have to worry about filling that hole. And with the Rangers paying his bonus already he's only going to be owed $2M this season which helps their internal budget. I don't anticipate him going anywhere but hell, who knows.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
A player of Eichel’s quality gets four assets - top six forward , top four Dman, quality prospect and a 1st.

That's fair, as long as it's the 22 and not the 1... I think the idea here would be to spend smaller/lower level assets to get Eichel and THEN pair him with Laf

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
How many roster players do you want to lose so we can add Eichel? And how does that help a team that already has depth issues?
True enough ! Plus...just how many goals do we need to score in a game with what our top 6-8 forwards will look like ? We just need a 1-2 yearUFA signing /minor trade plug for the 2 hole with the stellar wingers we will have out there every night . Then you have Fox/Tony leading the rush/breakouts from the back end feeding our kids with crisp passes . I think we would be better off moving a piece or 2 from up front for a left side defender if we want instant success or wait the year out and break in one new guy along with a Dillon like signing . For some reason so many on here want to go from 0------>>>> 100 MPH like yesterday !!! Geesh folks...let's see what we have in Chytil -Laf-Kakko -Kravs-Gauthier before we start shipping them out .

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
No way. Starts there. Or Kakko (which would be fitting #2 young for #2 a little older). There isn't perfect value, but where the rangers are, right now, eichel is a better fit than either Kakko or Lafrenière
If that's what Buffalo demands, then you move on. He's not worth it.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Eichel is tremendous but what's the point of the cost if it means Zibby is going to have to go? The price and cap hit isn't worth it.
The point is Eichel is 4 years younger and will still be under contract for 4 years after Zibanejad becomes a UFA, so we wouldn't be boxed into a corner with him. And we add a tremendous player for the next 2 years with Zibanejad

Reactions: Minmonster

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
What teams are throwing around pieces of Tony or Chytil’s caliber, let alone the 1oa/Kakko? None. You’re acting like every team has a DeAngelo to trade, and that’s just not the case. Severe underrating of our pieces.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

Well, if the Rangers are serious about an Eichel trade, essentially, you’re getting another high end center that should fit better with your timeframe of contending, likely extending it. Who knows what Zibanejad will command in two years salary-wise. I’m as big a fan of Zibanejad as anyone, and ideally, I’d love for him to be the player we saw this past season for the next five plus seasons. But, if he’s not, what are we looking at when he comes up for a new deal?

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not sure if I’d use that as a template for winning... but I agree on the fact that we are looking similar.
I think everyone would agree center is usually more important... so I’d love to land Eichel but not w out gutting us
There is no template. You play the hand you're dealt.

Center is important for sure but I wouldn't do anything reckless just for the sake of improving one position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->