Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hey look, I am not rooting against it. If that was the deal I could absolutely live with it. I just can't see Buffalo doing it unless Eichel publicly asks for a trade and their leverage is shot.

I mean there is no other reason Buffalo would even entertain trading him.

If he gets traded here, its going to be at JG's price. If Buffalo and Eichel's agent are telling the truth, then he isn't available to begin with.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah, I posted the answer with links to the MOU about this a few weeks back.

All upcoming NTC/NMC clauses that are set to become active during the 2020-2021 season were negotiated to begin during the FA period, whenever that was determined (which is now known to be October 9th), instead of the normal FA start of July 1st.
You posted it, people read it, but the misinformation contributed.

Reactions: Irishguy42

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Imagine the deal is done but the NHL just asked the teams to wait for the finals to be over before announcing, since its such a big trade. :naughty:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Not according to McKenzie. According to Eichel's agent. Again, I don't think McKenzie runs with that story unless he felt he was being fed a line of bullshit.

The second tweet seems most realistic to me. I could be wrong and in 6 months he could be a Ranger for a package that will have us all dancing and cheering. I'd be thrilled to be wrong in that case.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hey look, I am not rooting against it. If that was the deal I could absolutely live with it. I just can't see Buffalo doing it unless Eichel publicly asks for a trade and their leverage is shot.

He may not have yet said it publicly but may have said it behind closed doors. There were rumors he was unhappy last off-season. That was prior to this years crappy showing

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

There's going to be obvious posturing by both sides. But, look at the history of these type of deals. Superstar player gets dealt, the return on a consistent basis is 1) top six forward, 2)top four Dman, 3) quality prospect and 4) 1st round pick. I don't expect Gorton to be an outlier if he makes this type of deal.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
There's going to be obvious posturing by both sides. But, look at the history of these type of deals. Superstar player gets dealt, the return on a consistent basis is 1) top six forward, 2)top four Dman, 3) quality prospect and 4) 1st round pick. I don't expect Gorton to be an outlier if he makes this type of deal.
Usually that is the return when the player is on an expiring deal or has 1 more year. Not a 23 year old with 5 years left.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
No, I wouldn't. I also don't think it will happen for that reason.

Buffalo doesn't exactly earn recognition for the shrewd decisions of its front office, though.

If Eichel wants out, Buffalo has no choice but to take back the best package they can get for him.

No one will offer anything like the 1 OA or Kakko. And again, what team has the space/assets to match or beat a base package around Chytil, DeAngelo and the 22OA?

Not saying thats all it would take, but thats a young center, a young, top 5 offensive D in the league and the pick to start.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Hypothetically

Eichel for buch deangelo 22 lias and henriksson

strome for a late first or 2 2nds
Georgiev for a 2nd and a 3rd

kreider Mika gauthier
Panarin eichel kakko
Lafreniere chytil Kravtsov
Lemieux howden some random good 4th liner

miller trouba
Lindgren fox
Reunanen smith

something like that

Defensively very young, green, mobile, etc. well give up chances but we’ll be able to outscore our deficiencies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
No, it's not. Right now, we have the cap space to re-sign our own players, minus Fast.

And, if you're including DeAngelo and Buchnevich in the deal, then moving Strome for picks to Ottawa, as has been speculated, courtesy of @Edge, that's an additional another $4.5 million or so from Buch alone, and not having to re-sign DeAngelo, Chytil or Strome, plus the $5.7 million from dumping Staal. Trouba would not have to be in the deal.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
All bias aside, I could give a shit less if Troubda is shipped out before 10/9. Everyone raves about Nils, and I think the kid coming into an environment where he's not immediately relied on for point production purely may even ease him into the team faster and with quicker results.

Also, holy shit would that be a monster hose job if we get Eichel for something like Troubda/Howden/22+ Lindbom or some shit.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
@GAGLine

You're the cap guy, if the Rangers traded:

ADA + Chytil + Andersson + CAR 1st + NYR 1st '21 for Eichel

And then traded

Strome for picks

Georigev for picks

Buy-out Hank (this is worst case scenario as he may retire)

Where does that leave the team this season and next? When I ran it, it seemed to leave quite a bit of space.

ADA and Strome are projected to get about 5 mil each, so that's roughly 10 mil in and 11 mil out, but we have to replace ADA and Chytil. Assume the replacements make 2 mil total. It's a little tighter, but doable, depending on what Lemmy gets.

I just don't see any reason why Buffalo would accept that. In the unlikely event that Buffalo trades Eichel, they are going to be looking for roster players who make them better now. They aren't going to want futures, and everything you are offering is futures, except ADA. And no, I don't think adding Strome to the deal would move the needle. I honestly don't see a deal happening unless we send Zibby +.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hypothetically

strome for a late first or 2 2nds
Georgiev for a 2nd and a 3rd

kreider Mika gauthier
Panarin eichel kakko
Lafreniere chytil Kravtsov
Lemieux howden some random good 4th liner

miller trouba
Lindgren fox
Reunanen smith

something like that

Defensively very young, green, mobile, etc. well give up chances but we’ll be able to outscore our deficiencies.
So, like right now, essentially?

Reactions: Inferno

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
And, if you're including DeAngelo and Buchnevich in the deal, then moving Strome for picks to Ottawa, as has been speculated, courtesy of @Edge, that's an additional another $4.5 million or so from Buch alone, and not having to re-sign DeAngelo, Chytil or Strome, plus the $5.7 million from dumping Staal. Trouba would not have to be in the deal.

How many roster players do you want to lose so we can add Eichel? And how does that help a team that already has depth issues?

Reactions: leetch99

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Hypothetically

Even hypothetically that deal doesn't get it done.

What would be the point of trading for Eric Staal to be a #2 C then trading their only other NHL C on their entire roster, for a Euro who may not want to come back, a 2nd rd prospect, a decent scoring winger which they don't need all that much and a RHD which is their deepest position.

I mean, I get those are the expendable pieces for NY but what are BUF's need: Centers, LD.

What are NYR's needs?

Centers, LD

Now see why a deal between the 2 is extremely unlikely.

Reactions: GAGLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad