Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Ask yourself this, if you had Eichel would you trade him to a team that has both Kakko and the 1st overall and not get one of them back in return?

Depends on what I thought my franchise needed. That proposal he put up is like half our system plus a high level offensive defensemen. There's no superstar there but thats likely an entire young defensive pairing and 2nd line.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would be shocked if a trade ever came to fruition but the other part of me is wondering why Bob would go the length to mention this (especially from retirement) if there wasn't some legs to it.

The whole Twitter thread reads as if he got enough additional information from other sources to basically say, "This is what I heard, they're shooting it down, but I don't really believe them." And based on what the generous folks around here have shared, we know the teams have talked already about various concepts. It has legs. Does that mean it has real legs and not Deadpool 2 baby-legs? No, but he got enough confirmation that he felt comfortable going public with it.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
It is, I also don't think the Rangers are without options either.

When we start getting to second contracts for guys like Kakko and Lafreniere, Smith is coming off. Lundqvist is coming off. Girardi will be coming off. Shattenkirk will be coming off. Staal is already off. In this scenario, there potentially isn't a new ADA contract. There isn't Strome's current deal or his next one.

That's a lot of money.

And if it somehow wasn't enough, I don't think Kreider's contract is immovable, and Zibanejad's fate could very well be tied to this health.

So long as the Rangers aren't moving too many of those young contracts, they actually have a quite a bit to work with.

IDK

Laf, Kakko, Zibby, Panarin, Kreider, Shes, Ada, Trouba - if each averaged only $6 million that’s $48 million

Fox, Kraskov, Miller and so many on top?

Howden, Lindgren, Chytil, etc

That’s a BIG payroll down the road. I think we’re going to get a few years of all of them followed by the Laf and Kakkow show. The rest will be fewer as i see it.

Reactions: leetch99

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Ask yourself this, if you had Eichel would you trade him to a team that has both Kakko and the 1st overall and not get one of them back in return?

The question I would ask is how much choice do I have? If I know Eichel wants out, my owner is pressuring me to shed money, and I don't want to head into next season with this hanging over the head of everyone in the locker room, well they my hands are kind of tied. There are probably a limited number of teams in the league right now who have the financial stability to take on $50m+ in guaranteed money and the cap space to do it. That's before you even consider who actually has premium, cost controlled pieces to give up. I would think the Rangers are one of only a handful of teams who fit the bill.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
They probably wound't have a choice if Eichel wants out. That's a nice, and cheap, package.

The question I would ask is how much choice do I have? If I know Eichel wants out, my owner is pressuring me to shed money, and I don't want to head into next season with this hanging over the head of everyone in the locker room, well they my hands are kind of tied. There are probably a limited number of teams in the league right now who have the financial stability to take on $50m+ in guaranteed money and the cap space to do it. That's before you even consider who actually has premium, cost controlled pieces to give up. I would think the Rangers are one of only a handful of teams who fit the bill.

If he wants out, which he doesn't according to McKenzie.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
@GAGLine

You're the cap guy, if the Rangers traded:

ADA + Chytil + Andersson + CAR 1st + NYR 1st '21 for Eichel

And then traded

Strome for picks

Georigev for picks

Buy-out Hank (this is worst case scenario as he may retire)

Where does that leave the team this season and next? When I ran it, it seemed to leave quite a bit of space.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

And to be fair, this is EXACTLY what was discussed weeks ago on here. There aren't many teams who could compile as attractive of a package while absorbing that contract as the Rangers.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Disagree. DeAngelo, Buchnevich, Chytil and #22 is plenty, especially considering how few teams have both the space and assets to acquire Eichel.

Hey look, I am not rooting against it. If that was the deal I could absolutely live with it. I just can't see Buffalo doing it unless Eichel publicly asks for a trade and their leverage is shot.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Did we finally get our answer on the Trouba NTC?!?!
Yeah, I posted the answer with links to the MOU about this a few weeks back.

All upcoming NTC/NMC clauses that are set to become active during the 2020-2021 season were negotiated to begin during the FA period, whenever that was determined (which is now known to be October 9th), instead of the normal FA start of July 1st.

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY

No, I wouldn't. I also don't think it will happen for that reason.

Buffalo doesn't exactly earn recognition for the shrewd decisions of its front office, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad