Roster Building thread - Part IX - (2024 edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
if he commands enuf premium coming back, you do it.
We need to give Oth + Ber mins
DO IT

we should get more than that.
I said like him + a 4th for 2nd
something-ish like that
That's EA there. Bern. That works on our playstations but you don't see those trades in the NHL. You don't see GM's tack on a higher pick on a player help move up a round. You're looking at a late 3rd for Vesey and I'd rather have the player than the pick.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I agree with the sentiment but is there any real way to become a good 5v5 team with Lingren and Trouba playing half the game? And I really dont see either going anyway or even having a lesser role.
There’s no good answer to this unfortunately. But you could argue that this is the closest to a contender the team will be before Zibanejad/Kreider/Panarin decline, so it’s better to go all in anyway. On the other hand, you could save everything until Lafreniere really breaks out, hoping that happens like…next season.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I agree with the sentiment but is there any real way to become a good 5v5 team with Lingren and Trouba playing half the game? And I really dont see either going anyway or even having a lesser role.
No, but you can start by trading Lindgren, and trying to move out Trouba if at all possible; the former is obviously more realistic though

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ill ask you guys this. If say Trochek or Zibanejad get hurt in playoffs, or even Brodzinski who takes their spot? This is why we need a better/ more options at center. No other position on this team is as fragile as the center. On d we have Jones, Robertson, on the wings we have Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Pitlick etc got Quick in net. If we lose one of our top 6 centers its over.

Last edited:

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
The Brodzinski story is nice and all but does the team really wanna bank on him holding down the third line center spot? We’re talking about a 30+ year old career minor leaguer. Yeah it’s been a nice run but what if he comes crashing back down to Earth? It’s better to have depth at that position especially when Goodrow is really a winger too. The team seems to be falling off in faceoffs since Bonino was unceremoniously retired.

Reactions: RGY

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I’ll ask you guys this. If say Trochek or Zibanejad get hurt in playoffs, or even Brodzinski who takes their spot? This is why we need a better/ more options at center. No other position on this team is as fragile as the center. On d we have Jones, Robertson, on the wings we have Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Pitlick etc got Quick in net. If we lose one of our top 6 centers it’s over.
and if mcdavid gets hurt who replaces him?
When good players go down, teams get worse.

Reactions: JCProdigy

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Ill ask you guys this. If say Trochek or Zibanejad get hurt in playoffs, or even Brodzinski who takes their spot? This is why we need a better/ more options at center. No other position on this team is as fragile as the center. On d we have Jones, Robertson, on the wings we have Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Pitlick etc got Quick in net. If we lose one of our top 6 centers its over.
I can’t think of any teams winning a Stanley Cup without one of their top-six centers. You’re kind of just f***ed. We already missed the boat on Lindholm.

Edit: okay the Avalanche 500 years ago

Reactions: Kupo

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don't think the outlook is necessarily terrible in terms of "oh, we have to win now because we're just gonna be terrible when so and so decline."

Edstrom, Rempe, Sykora, Berard, Cuylle, and Othmann is a nice core of players that know what they are and will help us form an identity. I know people will say "it's a bottom six" but I think at least one of them breaks out and becomes more. We could bring back Panarin on a more team-friendly deal, and Trocheck is a moneypuck 1C. Lafreniere is progressing. The 1B at worst best defenseman on Earth isn't going anywhere. Perreault is going to be legit. BMB will probably be a player.

We need to start adding more centers to the pipeline and fix the defense around Fox. Get a LD to replace Lindgren and mail Trouba to Mars.

Maybe in two or so years this is your lineup:

Lafreniere-Trocheck-Perreault
Panarin-Edstrom-Othmann
Kreider-BMB-Sykora
Berard-Somebody-Rempe

Miller-Fox
XXXX-Schneider (or flip those if you prefer)
Fortescue-XXXX

I would like to keep Kreider around and maybe Kakko is in the fold. I'm not interested in arguing, it's just an exercise. If Chytil is a still a thing, great, but I'm planning on him not being a thing just in case.

Two clear holes on defense and I think they could use another scorer. 3RD is easy. Go on EvolvingHockey and find a guy good at analytics. 4C is easy because it's 4C.

They have to get rid of Trouba and Zibanejad. It's run its course.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Zibinny is awesome (if only he was better at 5 on 5 maybe he would be like + triple digits). Lindgren is awesome (Fox needs to regain his form and Mel would be the first to say it). Just stay cised already.

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
I don't think the outlook is necessarily terrible in terms of "oh, we have to win now because we're just gonna be terrible when so and so decline."

Edstrom, Rempe, Sykora, Berard, Cuylle, and Othmann is a nice core of players that know what they are and will help us form an identity. I know people will say "it's a bottom six" but I think at least one of them breaks out and becomes more. We could bring back Panarin on a more team-friendly deal, and Trocheck is a moneypuck 1C. Lafreniere is progressing. The 1B at worst best defenseman on Earth isn't going anywhere. Perreault is going to be legit. BMB will probably be a player.

We need to start adding more centers to the pipeline and fix the defense around Fox. Get a LD to replace Lindgren and mail Trouba to Mars.

Panarin-Edstrom-Othmann
Kreider-BMB-Sykora
Berard-Somebody-Rempe

Miller-Fox
Fortescue-XXXX

I would like to keep Kreider around and maybe Kakko is in the fold. I'm not interested in arguing, it's just an exercise. If Chytil is a still a thing, great, but I'm planning on him not being a thing just in case.

Two clear holes on defense and I think they could use another scorer. 3RD is easy. Go on EvolvingHockey and find a guy good at analytics. 4C is easy because it's 4C.

Yup, these are my readers.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
If either player gets hurt, we're pretty much done for anyways..

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
The Brodzinski story is nice and all but does the team really wanna bank on him holding down the third line center spot? We’re talking about a 30+ year old career minor leaguer. Yeah it’s been a nice run but what if he comes crashing back down to Earth? It’s better to have depth at that position especially when Goodrow is really a winger too. The team seems to be falling off in faceoffs since Bonino was unceremoniously retired.
Ideally you dont want him in that 3C spot. Would be great if he replaces Goodrow as the 4th line center and/or on the wing. If not, he becomes cheap C/W depth that can play up and down the lineup. Very similar to Vesey in that regard, there really isn't any risk considering his cap hit. With everyone healthy hes the 12/13th forward

Problem is they don't trust trying anyone else on the PK other than Goodrow, thats the role (and his great faceoff % this year) thats keeping him from basically being waiver fodder imo. Its likely why theyll keep him next season and maybe beyond despite his 3.6 hit

Now that Bonino is gone, they need to start grooming guys like Kakko and Brodz as PK guys in the event they can unload or buyout Goodrow. And besides that, it would be good to invest in those two developing in that regard considering how many shots Goody blocks. He could be done at any moment if he takes one off the boot the wrong way. You got Brodz cheap for 2 years. Start complimenting his skillset by giving him different assignments. He filled in for McKegg in 22 on the PK and did a decent job.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
That's EA there. Bern. That works on our playstations but you don't see those trades in the NHL. You don't see GM's tack on a higher pick on a player help move up a round. You're looking at a late 3rd for Vesey and I'd rather have the player than the pick.
supply and demand in the moment will prevail
if someone wants Vesey bad enuf, they won't overpay beyond reason
but may overpay w'in reason

4th + JV gets a 2nd

and as for precedent, again AM proves my pt

howev, demand has to be there

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Panarin-Edstrom-Othmann
Kreider-BMB-Sykora
Berard-Somebody-Rempe

Miller-Fox
Fortescue-XXXX

Assuming all our prospects and kids pan out perfectly. That would be a decent core to supplement with a full rebuild but we’re too good to rebuild.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Assuming all our prospects and kids pan out perfectly
Edstrom and Rempe are already NHL players, Cuylle is already a good NHL player, Othmann is close, and if Perreault isn't a first line winger I give up.

I'm expecting the others to be third and fourth liners in this scenario.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Edstrom and Rempe are already NHL players, Cuylle is already a good NHL player, Othmann is close, and if Perreault isn't a first line winger I give up.

I'm expecting the others to be third and fourth liners in this scenario.
You’re penciling in these guys in top-six roles. Lafreniere hasn’t even proven he can be a 1LW.

Reactions: Greg02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You’re penciling in these guys in top-six roles. Lafreniere hasn’t even proven he can be a 1LW.
Well, keep in mind this lineup has nobody that's not already in the organization. That's obviously not going to happen. It's just an idea of what it looks like and you can fill holes accordingly. I don't think this team is f***ed when the current core starts to decline. The current core already sucks and we're a better team without at least half of them.

Reactions: Boris Zubov
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia