Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVI: Spring into action (GMJG outta hibernation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Nils coming over and looking good really would just number the days of Smith as opposed to Trouba or Fox. At best, it gives us lots of options.

I'm not penciling anyone in until they're here and showing they're ready for the role.

For me, it's the same with Kravtsov. I'm not talking about moving Buch or anyone else to make more room for Kravtsov until he's shown he's ready to take that step. Last thing we need is a team of Howdens.

For the defense, Reunanen also adds an extra name into the mix. He didn't look out of place on the third pair and added a left-handed PMD to the d group. Hajek looking better is also a big plus for us. Even more so if Schneider steps in next year and challenges for a spot. If only we had the same luck up front as we've had on both LD and RD.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Does that have a ton to do with the fact hes playing with Kaprizov?

Mats was almost bought out last summer 1 year into his deal.

To be fair
tenor.gif

Zucc played with a bad wrist all year last year

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Sure, Lowry 2 years younger though. Hard nosed gritty C, great defensive/checking forward, and some decent talent to boot.
Somebody pointed out to me lowrys father is an assistant in Peg and he’s quite happy there. My apologies, I forgot who

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Somebody pointed out to me lowrys father is an assistant in Peg and he’s quite happy there. My apologies, I forgot who

This is true. Presuming they want to extend PLD and they need to address their depth on D its possible Lowry will be squeezed out of the peg. All depends on how much he'd want to sacrifice to remain playing for his dad.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Nils coming over and looking good really would just number the days of Smith as opposed to Trouba or Fox. At best, it gives us lots of options.

I'm not penciling anyone in until they're here and showing they're ready for the role.

For me, it's the same with Kravtsov. I'm not talking about moving Buch or anyone else to make more room for Kravtsov until he's shown he's ready to take that step. Last thing we need is a team of Howdens.

For the defense, Reunanen also adds an extra name into the mix. He didn't look out of place on the third pair and added a left-handed PMD to the d group. Hajek looking better is also a big plus for us. Even more so if Schneider steps in next year and challenges for a spot. If only we had the same luck up front as we've had on both LD and RD.

Lundkvist's season ends after the Rangers season.

Rangers play their last NHL game on May 8th, Lundkvist finishes the WC on May 31st the earliest (if Sweden is eliminated after the group stages, which is unlikely).

Lundkvist will not play for us this season unless something crazy happens. Smith is UFA this summer so he will be long gone by the time Nils is on the team.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I wonder if the Rangers retained 50% if any team would bite on Smith as a rental.

Seems like some team would maybe go a 4th, if so maybe the Rangers can use that pick on a goalie so they don't use like Buffalo's very early 3rd on that position.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
As per Blue Jackets reporter Aaron Portzline Leafs, Jets, Panthers and Lightning all interested in defenseman David Savard.
Asking price per Portzline is a 1st round pick and prospect that is an offensive centreman.
My lord Jarmo is a bad GM. They would have gotten that for PLD not David Savard

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I wonder if the Rangers retained 50% if any team would bite on Smith as a rental.

Seems like some team would maybe go a 4th, if so maybe the Rangers can use that pick on a goalie so they don't use like Buffalo's very early 3rd on that position.

I have no idea how bad a shape MSG is in financially, but considering NYR available space they should be willing to not only retain the max but also take on short term bad money to get the highest return possible.

It seems as though the majority of teams are operating "dollar in, dollar out".

Reactions: mas0764

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
So if Lundkvist comes over and becomes the player we all hope he becomes I would assume he eventually takes over PP 2 duties while Fox holds down PP 1 duties. Trouba would be the odd man out correct? Wasn't that one of the reasons he wanted out of Winnipeg? I know his girlfriends career was also an issue but I was fairly certain he wanted more of an opportunity to put up points. I would think if this happens he would waive to go somewhere else to be a top 4 dman. The issue might be with decreasing point totals and that contract, it might be a very difficult task. Its a shame because he has been very good this year with Miller but this could be a pretty big dilemma come next year if Nils meets or exceeds expectations.

Crazy idea would be Trouba to Florida for Stralman and Lundell. Stralman was just waived and more than likely has negative value in the league. Taking that extra year is obviously not ideal.

Florida would then have a pretty nice defense moving forward. That can also help try to convince Barkov to stay which would be a much more difficult task if they tank after Hedmans injury. Their right side is now Gudas, Nutivaara and a player they wanted to give away in Stralman....ouch.

Rangers would have 1 more year of stralman. Use that time to get Nils and/or Schneider ready. If Stralman is cooked just go with the kids or sign a 1 year stopgap. Our lines could be:

KZB
Pan-Strome-Kakko/Krav
Laf-Lundell-Krav/Kakko
Chytil-Barron-Goat

That looks like 2 first lines and 2 third lines. Ice time would be divided up on which line is playing better as well as who is winning. If we have a lead the bottom two lines could play more to get experience while the top two lines can get some rest if needed.

The trade would probably never happen as Trouba would need to be protected for expansion as he has a NMC. So does Yandle which means they lose Weegar. Thats besides the point of Florida deciding if they want a long term solution or a UFA just for this year.

Nice to dream but I still think Rangers are going to have a situation with Trouba if Nils is the player many of us believe he is.
I don't think Trouba was too worried about getting enough ice time. He was on the top PP unit with Winnipeg in his final year there. If that was his major concern he would have stayed in Winnipeg. However I agree with the overall theme of your post.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My understanding is that Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg and wanted to be in a location where his wife was able to find the best job for her possible.

However, if 2 years down the line he has been supplanted by Lundkvist/Schneider and is playing only third pairing minutes, and he requests a trade, that's no skin off our nose. Good problem to have.

Side note, more evidence that the flat cap has tanked the value of players with contracts. Gostisbehere will probably clear waivers.

Reactions: bl02 and mas0764

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
I have no idea how bad a shape MSG is in financially, but considering NYR available space they should be willing to not only retain the max but also take on short term bad money to get the highest return possible.

It seems as though the majority of teams are operating "dollar in, dollar out".
MSG lost alot of money last year. ALOT. they're not in terrible shape but they're not printing money at the moment either.
Alot of the problem is that the concept of full capacity for things like games/events is still so far out that they can't plan properly. Likely the rangers will remain a cap team, but they may feel it in other ways.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada

Somebody likely will pony up a draft pick 4-7th for Smith ....can never have enough Dmen in a playoff run as the Rangers should know .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad