Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVI: Spring into action (GMJG outta hibernation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The thing with Strome kind of reminds me of Mikael Nylander who used to drive Rangers fans crazy and like Strome with Panarin he was made out to be the benefactor of being on a line with a superstar Jaromir Jagr. Well he was but always when we talk about chemistry there is a shared benefit for all. Instead of resigning Nylander the Rangers spent a boatload of $’s on Gomez and Drury neither of whom could create the same chemistry and Jagr’s numbers dropped and Jagr then went elsewhere.

Reactions: fm and Trxjw

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
At some point the team is going to cash some of their chips. Whether that be Eichel or someone else, who knows

Can’t keep all the prospects and young players

Agree and alot of people underestimate how short of a window this team may have in the next few years. Not only do you have to hope the rookies learn and develop fast, but also hope that their 3 highest paid players and 33% of the cap don't decelerate too quick as they enter their 30's. They can't "wait and see" for too much longer.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I may be in the minority and spewing an unpopular opinion but i don't see top 6 center in Filip Chytil just based on his style of play. His style lends itself better to a bottom six role to be honest. He's not overly creative, his shot is average, his play is almost exclusively north south, not a pp threat, and i just find goals for him have to come off the rush or off a rebound or something. I like him but I don't think we have the in house answer to our 2c right now, to me he's a nice third line guy.

Chytil’s development has been a little weird to me. The youngest player in the AHL in his rookie North American season he seemed more of a puck distributor and that part of his game has not really been evident in his move up to the NHL level. He also does not use his size and strength enough—rarely lays the body on anyone. Face-offs are another thing. There are a number of areas he could improve. In last year’s playin I kind of remember the Rangers using him on the penalty kill. It took a long time for the Devils to start getting something of what they hoped and expected out of Pavel Zacha and I’m kind of thinking Chytil might be somewhat the same. I don’t think he’s the right guy at the moment to be centering the likes of Kakko or Lafreniere...or at least going into 21-22 when hopefully those two start breaking out.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
In other words, the first 4 forwards drafted in the 1st round since the rebuild started are not putting up points?

Yes, bashing Quinn for everything slightly wrong is going too far. I still think there is reason to have concern over the forwards. Not saying the concerns will be validated in the end, but that's where the noise is concentrated from the fans.

It's ironic to me though. We use the team standings as a litmus test. We are right where we predicted, where the experts thought we would be. So its all fine. But we dismiss those same projections for the young players and convince ourselves stats don't tell the story.

I'm not saying there is no cause for concern. The point I am making is that different players are on different timelines, and we are seeing progress in some players and a lack of progress in others, which is to be expected in a rebuild. It is certainly not a positive sign that the points are not coming from Lafreniere, Kakko, and Chytil, but (1) it does not necessarily mean that they will not continue to progress as player development is not always a straight line, and (2) we should not let that completely overshadow the positive strides other young players have taken this year.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The thing with Strome kind of reminds me of Mikael Nylander who used to drive Rangers fans crazy and like Strome with Panarin he was made out to be the benefactor of being on a line with a superstar Jaromir Jagr. Well he was but always when we talk about chemistry there is a shared benefit for all. Instead of resigning Nylander the Rangers spent a boatload of $’s on Gomez and Drury neither of whom could create the same chemistry and Jagr’s numbers dropped and Jagr then went elsewhere.

good comp for sure

and let’s be honest this year at least whatever line Strome is on with or without panarin is the one producing. We learned a lot about Ryan Strome in those 10 games panarin missed.

Reactions: eco's bones

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chytil also has gotten to play with let’s see.

Brett Howden
Kaapo Kakko coming off Covid as well
Lafreniere who does almost nothing
Phil DiGiuseppe
Kevin Rooney
Gauthier who barely plays and never scores

these are his regular linemates.

when we got to see Chytil elevated in the lineup with panarin or with kreider and Buchnevich he’s looked good

right now to me he looks like a guy coming back from Covid and a broken hand. Looks soft on pucks for sure.

Reactions: kovazub94

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

Brett Howden
Phil DiGiuseppe
Kevin Rooney

when we got to see Chytil elevated in the lineup with panarin or with kreider and Buchnevich he’s looked good

right now to me he looks like a guy coming back from Covid and a broken hand. Looks soft on pucks for sure.

I'd like to see Kreider on Chytil's wing and Lafreniere back on Zibanejad's line. Lafreniere and Chytil are not meshing right now. We saw a glaring example in a recent game when they were trying to cycle the puck down low. Chytil skates with the puck behind the net and Lafreniere goes to the corner to give Chytil an option. Chytil keeps skating, skates into Lafreniere, and one Dman is able to take them both out of the play and the puck gets turned over.

Also, I think Kreider is less likely to get "lost" on the bench.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Agree and alot of people underestimate how short of a window this team may have in the next few years. Not only do you have to hope the rookies learn and develop fast, but also hope that their 3 highest paid players and 33% of the cap don't decelerate too quick as they enter their 30's. They can't "wait and see" for too much longer.
If they are going to cash in their chips, it should be for bottom 6 forwards that are keepers. Guys like Casey Cizikas who are career bottom 6 guys and add a ton to their teams. We can't afford to go after top 6 studs without moving top 6 guys that we really like. Our bottom six, particularly our 4th line needs a big upgrade. And unless we are moving Trouba there is no need to acquire a D-man. I want to stick with Buch; Strome can go.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
If they are going to cash in their chips, it should be for bottom 6 forwards that are keepers. Guys like Casey Cizikas who are career bottom 6 guys and add a ton to their teams. We can't afford to go after top 6 studs without moving top 6 guys that we really like. Our bottom six, particularly our 4th line needs a big upgrade. And unless we are moving Trouba there is no need to acquire a D-man. I want to stick with Buch; Strome can go.

Adam Lowry would be a great add this off season.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
So if Lundkvist comes over and becomes the player we all hope he becomes I would assume he eventually takes over PP 2 duties while Fox holds down PP 1 duties. Trouba would be the odd man out correct? Wasn't that one of the reasons he wanted out of Winnipeg? I know his girlfriends career was also an issue but I was fairly certain he wanted more of an opportunity to put up points. I would think if this happens he would waive to go somewhere else to be a top 4 dman. The issue might be with decreasing point totals and that contract, it might be a very difficult task. Its a shame because he has been very good this year with Miller but this could be a pretty big dilemma come next year if Nils meets or exceeds expectations.

Crazy idea would be Trouba to Florida for Stralman and Lundell. Stralman was just waived and more than likely has negative value in the league. Taking that extra year is obviously not ideal.

Florida would then have a pretty nice defense moving forward. That can also help try to convince Barkov to stay which would be a much more difficult task if they tank after Hedmans injury. Their right side is now Gudas, Nutivaara and a player they wanted to give away in Stralman....ouch.

Rangers would have 1 more year of stralman. Use that time to get Nils and/or Schneider ready. If Stralman is cooked just go with the kids or sign a 1 year stopgap. Our lines could be:

KZB
Pan-Strome-Kakko/Krav
Laf-Lundell-Krav/Kakko
Chytil-Barron-Goat

That looks like 2 first lines and 2 third lines. Ice time would be divided up on which line is playing better as well as who is winning. If we have a lead the bottom two lines could play more to get experience while the top two lines can get some rest if needed.

The trade would probably never happen as Trouba would need to be protected for expansion as he has a NMC. So does Yandle which means they lose Weegar. Thats besides the point of Florida deciding if they want a long term solution or a UFA just for this year.

Nice to dream but I still think Rangers are going to have a situation with Trouba if Nils is the player many of us believe he is.

Reactions: mas0764 and Cag29

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
As per Blue Jackets reporter Aaron Portzline Leafs, Jets, Panthers and Lightning all interested in defenseman David Savard.
Asking price per Portzline is a 1st round pick and prospect that is an offensive centreman.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
good comp for sure

and let’s be honest this year at least whatever line Strome is on with or without panarin is the one producing. We learned a lot about Ryan Strome in those 10 games panarin missed.

Apart from what his next cap hit might be I really don’t have a problem keeping Strome. I think he can handle the center position on a scoring line. He’s a very good puck distributor and he shoots and scores enough goals to keep opponents honest. I rank Zibanejad ahead of him though. In the something has to give I’d probably move on from Buchnevich first pretty much because he is the most replaceable with Kakko and Kravtsov already here. That said getting a young top notch center prospect for him—I don’t know if that’s going to happen. I think teams and particularly those that aren’t contending are going to hold on to their young centers.

As far as the Rangers young players at the moment—Fox is the only one that I’d break the bank for and lock up long term. Lindgren and Sheshterkin I’d be willing to go some ways with but not like Fox. To me those two are just very good players now. I’m not convinced either are going to be elite though..

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

Brett Howden
Phil DiGiuseppe
Kevin Rooney

Sometimes high end players don't want to play with guys who either can't or don't want to find them on the ice. Panarin has more say in who plays center for that line than anyone. I've seen it on every team I've ever played on, coaches talk to their best players and they ask them straight up, who do you feel comfortable with. Until Chytil figures out how to be more of a give and go guy, a passing and shooting threat Panarin won't be asking for him. Strome finds Panarin and gets open, it's a simple game and until Chytil learns he doesn't have to have the puck on his stick every rush it just won't be a fit imo.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Does that have a ton to do with the fact hes playing with Kaprizov?

Mats was almost bought out last summer 1 year into his deal.
Kaprizov is also doing well, but is not producing at the same rate as Mats. Also, 3/4 of Mats’ points are assists.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So if Lundkvist comes over and becomes the player we all hope he becomes I would assume he eventually takes over PP 2 duties while Fox holds down PP 1 duties. Trouba would be the odd man out correct? Wasn't that one of the reasons he wanted out of Winnipeg? I know his girlfriends career was also an issue but I was fairly certain he wanted more of an opportunity to put up points. I would think if this happens he would waive to go somewhere else to be a top 4 dman. The issue might be with decreasing point totals and that contract, it might be a very difficult task. Its a shame because he has been very good this year with Miller but this could be a pretty big dilemma come next year if Nils meets or exceeds expectations.

Crazy idea would be Trouba to Florida for Stralman and Lundell. Stralman was just waived and more than likely has negative value in the league. Taking that extra year is obviously not ideal.

Florida would then have a pretty nice defense moving forward. That can also help try to convince Barkov to stay which would be a much more difficult task if they tank after Hedmans injury. Their right side is now Gudas, Nutivaara and a player they wanted to give away in Stralman....ouch.

Rangers would have 1 more year of stralman. Use that time to get Nils and/or Schneider ready. If Stralman is cooked just go with the kids or sign a 1 year stopgap. Our lines could be:

KZB
Pan-Strome-Kakko/Krav
Laf-Lundell-Krav/Kakko
Chytil-Barron-Goat

That looks like 2 first lines and 2 third lines. Ice time would be divided up on which line is playing better as well as who is winning. If we have a lead the bottom two lines could play more to get experience while the top two lines can get some rest if needed.

The trade would probably never happen as Trouba would need to be protected for expansion as he has a NMC. So does Yandle which means they lose Weegar. Thats besides the point of Florida deciding if they want a long term solution or a UFA just for this year.

Nice to dream but I still think Rangers are going to have a situation with Trouba if Nils is the player many of us believe he is.

Lundkvist has a bomb of a pretty accurate shot. I wouldn’t be surprised to see both Fox and Nils on PP1 at least some of the time. Nils is also pretty good in the defensive end. That said Trouba’s important for matchups and other defensive purposes. Someone with his size and strength on our right side is absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad