Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVI: Spring into action (GMJG outta hibernation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Somebody likely will pony up a draft pick 4-7th for Smith ....can never have enough Dmen in a playoff run as the Rangers should know .

The most attractive aspect of Brendan Smith is his expiring contract and that the Rangers can retain half his salary. So, his cap hit would be 2.175m.

Could possibly fetch a 4th. If the Rangers can get that. Or perhaps the equivalent of the Adam McQuaid deal they got a few years ago, I think we would all be happy with that. It would give the team more mid-round lotto tix in a year where no one knows much about any of the prospects.

Though I will say that this may be a very very rare draft year where there's more D -1 information on Euro prospects than North American prospects.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
The most attractive aspect of Brendan Smith is his expiring contract and that the Rangers can retain half his salary. So, his cap hit would be 2.175m.

Could possibly fetch a 4th. If the Rangers can get that. Or perhaps the equivalent of the Adam McQuaid deal they got a few years ago, I think we would all be happy with that. It would give the team more mid-round lotto tix in a year where no one knows much about any of the prospects.

Though I will say that this may be a very very rare draft year where there's more D -1 information on Euro prospects than North American prospects.
He's not even worth 2.175.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lundkvist's season ends after the Rangers season.

Rangers play their last NHL game on May 8th, Lundkvist finishes the WC on May 31st the earliest (if Sweden is eliminated after the group stages, which is unlikely).

Lundkvist will not play for us this season unless something crazy happens. Smith is UFA this summer so he will be long gone by the time Nils is on the team.
Is Klingberg a good comp? give or take

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Lundkvist's season ends after the Rangers season.

Rangers play their last NHL game on May 8th, Lundkvist finishes the WC on May 31st the earliest (if Sweden is eliminated after the group stages, which is unlikely).

Lundkvist will not play for us this season unless something crazy happens. Smith is UFA this summer so he will be long gone by the time Nils is on the team.

Indeed. I meant more that Nils coming over isn't going to necessarily bump out Trouba or Fox until we know what we have.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
His cap hit is 4.5m for this year and the next two. I think Detroit or Ottawa or maybe LA make more sense. We have young puck movers already.
Probably because of all the young dmen we have but I wouldn’t mind putting a claim in on him. Cant be much worse then Smith/Hajek

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Anything at all for Smith for that matter is all good if it opens up a spot for a young guy to get some time playing is a win for the team . He has no future here moving forward . One never knows what a 7th rounder might turn up ...maybe another King ?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Dear god no. When was the last time overpaying a past prime FA from a rival has worked out of this team.

It was just a comment on the islanders situation. Personally I don’t see us handing out term to any free agent that would go beyond two years if only because we may be locking up a Lafreniere and/or a Miller when their ELC’s expire.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I keep thinking about Strome....is he for sale at a top 50 pick in this years draft?
I wouldn't trade him for a second rounder, they don't have centers and they should be trying to make the playoffs next year. They can just rent him out at the next deadline if the team kinda sucks again. The next contract is very tricky though, whether it's with us or not. I like the guy and I stick up for him all the time but making Ryan Strome one of the top paid players on a team that's supposed to be going places is a big leap of faith

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I keep thinking about Strome....is he for sale at a top 50 pick in this years draft?
Only way I would be trading Strome right now is for a younger center with middle 6 upside, that's either NHL bound next season or is on the cusp right now. I guess if a 1st was on the table, they'd have to consider it as good asset management, and maybe use it as ammo to acquire another C this summer. But it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to continue to stockpile unknows that are 3-4 years away from having an impact at the NHL level, if at all.

I also don't think keeping him is completely off the table right now. I wouldn't bet on it, nor would I necessarily advocate it. But if he was willing to stick around on another 2-3 year deal at a reasonable term for a middle 6 C, they might be inclined to keep him unless a really good deal falls in their lap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad