Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXVI: Spring into action (GMJG outta hibernation?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Yeah I think the team needs to be sellers one more time to get a player like this; then, rebuild over.
I wouldn't call it selling, more as re-organizing. Just need to fine tune the roster.

IF Buch or Strome can nab us that long term, near NHL ready, 2way center... you almost have to. I still think Chytil can move to RW if needed. Hopefully Barron surprises us and is a capable 3C relatively soon. That'd be amazing surprise and make up for Lias

I'm probably dreaming but what I'd be looking for... Hoping a team gets desperate at the TDL

Strome @ 50% for Krebs
Strome @ 50% for Rossi
Buch for Newhook
Buch and ADA for Lundell ( I pulled this out of my ass )

I think Strome @ 50% would return more than Buch at the TDL tbh. @Edge what type of return are we looking at? I'd like to keep expectations a step above realistic :naughty:

Reactions: mas0764

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The Rangers don’t have a deep forward prospect bench after Kravtsov. But I don’t think that’s a problem. The club is the youngest in the league already, by miles. They’ve got enough potential firepower up front. It’s now about developing it. And giving it the right veteran support. I guess this is a long winded way of saying I don’t think trading Strome or Buch for futures is the right play.

Reactions: eco's bones

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The Rangers don’t have a deep forward prospect bench after Kravtsov. But I don’t think that’s a problem. The club is the youngest in the league already, by miles. They’ve got enough potential firepower up front. It’s now about developing it. And giving it the right veteran support. I guess this is a long winded way of saying I don’t think trading Strome or Buch for futures is the right play.

Im one of Stromes biggest fanboys around here, but I don’t think he sticks here after his current contract unless he is willing to take something like 5x5, which seems unlikely.

NYR can probably budget to keep one of the two forwards you listed, and it’s hard to imagine them picking Strome over Buch.

That said, maybe they do try to keep both, and Zibanejad. But if they do, you better hope that they leave themselves some NTC flexibility for when the inevitable time comes to make difficult decisions. It’s gonna be a minute until Trouba and Kreiders NMCs turn to NTCs

You aren’t going to want to have to jettison 23 year old budding stars because you’ve got too many 29 year olds signed long term to UFA value contracts

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I would be trying to sell Strome while his production is up. But I just don’t know what that return looks like or what teams would be interested.

I do think one of Strome or Buch should be moved. Both of their values are pretty high right now, especially Buch, and we need to open up the roster for the next wave of Barron and Kravtsov. If one of Strome/Buch can bring you back a Krebs/Newhook/Lundell that would be a great return and get us the center depth we are desperate for.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Im one of Stromes biggest fanboys around here, but I don’t think he sticks here after his current contract unless he is willing to take something like 5x5, which seems unlikely.

NYR can probably budget to keep one of the two forwards you listed, and it’s hard to imagine them picking Strome over Buch.

That said, maybe they do try to keep both, and Zibanejad. But if they do, you better hope that they leave themselves some NTC flexibility for when the inevitable time comes to make difficult decisions. It’s gonna be a minute until Trouba and Kreiders NMCs turn to NTCs

You aren’t going to want to have to jettison 23 year old budding stars because you’ve got too many 29 year olds signed long term to UFA value contracts
I think a lot of what nyr's future structure is going to look like will be determined this summer with IF they trade for eichel and what it costs them. It's such a big thing in cost of assets and cost of cap that IF it happens it will adjust/determine all their plans going forward

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
KAndre Miller probably has also saved Trouba’s Rangers career.
Obviously Trouba is overpaid right now, but he has not been the problem this season and Miller has been the best partner that he has had on the Rangers. Rangers have two very good pairings. The problem is the third pairing is a disaster; but this should improve next year when the other young guys are ready.
It goes both ways. If some don’t think trouba helps millers game too, I don’t know what to tell ya. The 2 have fed off each other since the preseason. Miller is highly talented no doubt but Jake has been a calming influence on his game as well. They cover nicely for each other.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think everyone is somewhere in the middle. I fall on the side of defending Quinn more often than not because the other side is so relentlessly and ridiculously negative in their assessment. But I certainly have some issues with how Quinn has coached this team. When I take a step back, this is what I see:
  • A team on the playoff bubble, likely missing the playoffs but could make a run at a spot if things break the right way
  • Young players taking steps forward and impressing, while others are not
  • A young team performing wildly inconsistently from game to game
These were all things that were expected at the beginning of the season, so we are not performing far off from expectations, and that's before even considering the crazy bullshit this team has been put through this year. Quinn could have done some things better, but the coach is always an easy target for the fans.

This was one of those years I felt anything from being the 11th to the 21st ranked teams in the league was possible. We’re more or less right in the middle of those two possibilities.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think a lot of what nyr's future structure is going to look like will be determined this summer with IF they trade for eichel and what it costs them. It's such a big thing in cost of assets and cost of cap that IF it happens it will adjust/determine all their plans going forward
And I really really hope they don’t go that route unless the deal is a steal.

Our pipeline of players is going to be more valuable than ever with a flat cap. Consistent ELC performers are going to be a must. You’re going to need 3-4 on the roster each year

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
We no longer teach our youth how to fail or even allow them to.

When failure and/or adversity eventually comes, they crumble or throw a conniption

I came across the above and found it interesting. Not that Quinn is some old school, tough guy coach, but this narrative seems to be gathering some steam around the league. #thekidsarentalright

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Part of me does wonder if the chips are going to be cashed in one fell swoop the way we’ve been suspecting for a while.
Im just not sure what the point is in waiting, both teams can make the money work and Buffalo cant get worse. Granted Eichel is hurt right now.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
This was one of those years I felt anything from being the 11th to the 21st ranked teams in the league was possible. We’re more or less right in the middle of those two possibilities.

We are right where we thought we would be, but the disappointment is because a lot of people thought that the step forward would be from Lafreniere or Kakko or Chytil in a way that would show on the scoresheet. Instead, we see the improvement in Fox and Lindgren and Miller and Shesterkin and Kakko (in ways that have not shown on the scoresheet yet) and many are unwilling to give any credit. If one of those three were putting up points, it’s a different conversation.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I may be in the minority and spewing an unpopular opinion but i don't see top 6 center in Filip Chytil just based on his style of play. His style lends itself better to a bottom six role to be honest. He's not overly creative, his shot is average, his play is almost exclusively north south, not a pp threat, and i just find goals for him have to come off the rush or off a rebound or something. I like him but I don't think we have the in house answer to our 2c right now, to me he's a nice third line guy.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I may be in the minority and spewing an unpopular opinion but i don't see top 6 center in Filip Chytil just based on his style of play. His style lends itself better to a bottom six role to be honest. He's not overly creative, his shot is average, his play is almost exclusively north south, not a pp threat, and i just find goals for him have to come off the rush or off a rebound or something. I like him but I don't think we have the in house answer to our 2c right now, to me he's a nice third line guy.
agree, he can be a solid Anisimov like player for us but he's not the answer at C

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Ageed, there should be nothing more important than developing the youth at this point.

Absolutely, but that all depends on your opinion on whats the best way to develop the players, do you hand feed them ice time and hope they catch on or do you make them work for the ice time and earn it? Not saying either method is better for everyone but sometimes one method works better with certain players over others. Imo Buch needed his ice time taken away to be better, same with Chytil. On the flip side I think Lafreniere probably needs top 6 ice time more than bottom six because his style doesn't mesh with the bottom 6 imo.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019

The Rangers might view Strome as the answer to 2C, and who could blame them with how he has played.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
We are right where we thought we would be, but the disappointment is because a lot of people thought that the step forward would be from Lafreniere or Kakko or Chytil in a way that would show on the scoresheet. Instead, we see the improvement in Fox and Lindgren and Miller and Shesterkin and Kakko (in ways that have not shown on the scoresheet yet) and many are unwilling to give any credit. If one of those three were putting up points, it’s a different conversation.

In other words, the first 4 forwards drafted in the 1st round since the rebuild started are not putting up points?

Yes, bashing Quinn for everything slightly wrong is going too far. I still think there is reason to have concern over the forwards. Not saying the concerns will be validated in the end, but that's where the noise is concentrated from the fans.

It's ironic to me though. We use the team standings as a litmus test. We are right where we predicted, where the experts thought we would be. So its all fine. But we dismiss those same projections for the young players and convince ourselves stats don't tell the story.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Ryan Strome continues to play like this? he’s the 2C for the foreseeable future IMO.

you can let the 21 year old Chytil continue to cook. Kid was dynamite before breaking his hand and getting Covid not sure why people are ignoring that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad