Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
In 2014 we traded MDZ for Klein. I remember reading the reactions on this board that we traded a 24 year old for a 30 year old. I wasn’t a fan of the trade until I saw what Klein’s presence added to the team.

That was a great trade for us. Terrible trade for Nashville since they didn’t even tender Del Zotto.

A guy like Klein on our bottom pair would really help solidify things though.

Well he was 28 at the time but yeah, he was on a long and very solid contract. I liked the deal at the time because Klein was a staple on Nashville's penalty kill. He gave us a second pairing quality defender on the third pair. Moore-Klein was a big reason why the 2014 playoff run went better than the 2012 one with Stu Bickel riding the pine in important moments.

The difference is, I see our defensive prospects as promising enough that I could reasonably see Lindgren on the third pairing in that role within three years. Just because not a lot of teams have built homegrown blue lines doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't.

As I've mentioned before, at the time we traded MDZ for Klein Nashville's defense was almost entirely homegrown, and had been for some time before (Though Suter departed via UFA)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
You would think with his skill set, but this year, Zibanejad couldn't stop a pickup truck from exiting through a faucet.

He's had some visibly noticeable forechecking moments this year, but I'd agree that his stick work has taken a step back, as has everything else.

Reactions: Machinehead

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
With regards to the defense, I would rather see some combination of Jones, Reunanen, Lundkvist, or Schneider on the 3rd pair. Hopefully we move on from Smith and the Jack Johnson nonsense is behind us. We’re approaching a point where I feel like we’ve seen enough of Hajek as well.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's also essential that IF NYR decide to run the 2-2 pairing proposition with two kids in Hartford and two in the NHL that they sign a more competent 7th defenseman than Bitteto. There will be injuries, there will be benchings.

Robertson-Lundkvist

AHL

Jones-Schneider
Reunanen-Skinner

(Though who knows if Tarmo will be waiver exempt next season)

$$$$

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
Winner!!

And that's because the #1 quality good forecheckers share is speed.

What do I win?

We tend to think of forechecking as grinding below the goal line and along the walls, so Panarin doesn't jump out as a quality forechecker. But he recovers a lot of pucks between the top of the circles and the blue line with his speed and anticipation.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What do I win?

We tend to think of forechecking as grinding below the goal line and along the walls, so Panarin doesn't jump out as a quality forechecker. But he recovers a lot of pucks between the top of the circles and the blue line with his speed and anticipation.
Let me see here...I got a lot of bananas.

Panarin isn't a below the lines guy because a guy of his ilk should be facing the net but he's the best guy on the team at getting possession back in the offensive zone.

The point being, this team desperately needs to target speed if they want a more north-south game.

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Lol, I stopped reading brooks when he private messaged me on twitter telling me not to read his stuff anymore while blooking me for pointing out an obvious error in one of his articles.
Haha...He blocked me too. I dared to challenge his fellaiting of the NHLPA. I still read him though. Habit I guess.

fm

Jul 28, 2016
He blocked me, not sure why. I'm almost always in the PA's corner like he is. He's just a salty old f***.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.

Panarin isn't a below the lines guy because a guy of his ilk should be facing the net but he's the best guy on the team at getting possession back in the offensive zone.

The point being, this team desperately needs to target speed if they want a more north-south game.
I don’t view Panarin as a particularly speedy player. His effectiveness on the forecheck to me seems to come from really good stick work and anticipation. He’s like a mini Datsyuk picking pockets as well.

When you get down to it, the game really boils down to IQ. Panarin happens to have that in spades to go along with his elite skill level. That’s why he’s a top 5 player in the league.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Sorry, boys and girls but Larry's article is spot on. So is the post from @Kupo about Klein.

This team desperately needs a veteran defenseman to help shoulder the load. Ekholm would be perfect, even if just for a year or two. There are others who will be available. This is one of the 1-2 veterans I keep talking about to reinforce the core. Gorton needs to be scouring the league to find players who are squeezed out of their current teams.

(And BTW, if you talk nice to Larry, he's a pretty good guy and will have a dialogue with you. I've corrected him before and he has edited his story -- most recently on the number of games Bitetto needed to be expansion candidate. He didn't get in the Hall of Fame just because of clickbait)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I don’t view Panarin as a particularly speedy player. His effectiveness on the forecheck to me seems to come from really good stick work and anticipation. He’s like a mini Datsyuk picking pockets as well.

When you get down to it, the game really boils down to IQ. Panarin happens to have that in spades to go along with his elite skill level. That’s why he’s a top 5 player in the league.
He's not a guy whose speed jumps off the page like McDavid or Larkin but he has great speed.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sorry, boys and girls but Larry's article is spot on. So is the post from @Kupo about Klein.

This team desperately needs a veteran defenseman to help shoulder the load. Ekholm would be perfect, even if just for a year or two. There are others who will be available. This is one of the 1-2 veterans I keep talking about to reinforce the core. Gorton needs to be scouring the league to find players who are squeezed out of their current teams.

(And BTW, if you talk nice to Larry, he's a pretty good guy and will have a dialogue with you. I've corrected him before and he has edited his story -- most recently on the number of games Bitetto needed to be expansion candidate. He didn't get in the Hall of Fame just because of clickbait)
So we spent 8 million on Trouba just to get another veteran defenseman?

Reactions: Off Sides

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
They're only a player or two away, to be honest. Hopefully KK, AL, VK, become that guy up front. I agree with Brooks that we need a vet on the D. a GOOD vet.

They also need a defensive spine, sandpaper, grit, depth to ride out injuries, veteran leadership, playoff knowhow and experience etc. And the coaching to bring all this and more together. The team is talented but far away, it's still an embryo of a winner.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Alright, hang on tight to your suspension of disbelief because I'm calling the shots for the next two years.

The way I see it, with the skill and eventually money that we have at wing, we need to get our jam in down the middle.

So think about this:

Panarin-Kravtsov-Cuylle
Lafreniere-Cirelli-Kakko
Berard-Kadri-Barron
Kreider-Henriksson-Ryan Hockeyson

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Lundkvist
Jones/Reunanen/Robertson-Trouba

Shestyorkin
Chet Goalieberg

-Kravtsov is a center in this league. I'll fight Gorton about it. I'll fight Quinn about it. I'll fight you about it.

-Cirelli is good at everything and was crafted by the hands of the hockey gods to meet every need this team currently has. I know we've been saying this for 10 years but Tampa has to pay for their team eventually. So I traded for him. What did I trade? You see who's not here. Make one up.

-Kardi is a '22 free agent. Colorado is going to win the Cup by then so they'll be paying a premium on keeping everyone. You want your f***ing jam? This man skates like a cheetah and hates Christmas. Only Tom Wilson is a bigger piece of shit. You're welcome. Now, this does depend on what the market is willing to give him but it has to at least be considered.

-I love that third line because all of them have played center at least at some point I think. Let's get some versatility in this lineup. Also, I'd be surprised if Berard and Kadri last a whole season on the same line without forechecking somebody into the East River.

-Yes, Kreider is on the 4th line. He probably belongs there. I didn't sign him.

-That at least gives you two players on the 4th line who can slot up into the top 9 without making you gouge your eyes out.

-I don't know how Cuylle will pan out because I don't have a crystal ball. But look who I have him playing with. If he's not ready, try Berard or Barron. It's an easy spot. "But Machinehead, Cuylle is a LW!" Yeah, so are Panarin and Lafreniere. Start planning around that.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Machineheadost: 177521110 said:
Shestyorkin
Chet Goalieberg

-
I've a working theory that any child named "Chet" by his parents has a 99% chance of turning into a DoucheBro.

Consequently, it's the parent's fault. In this case he's a Jewish DoucheBro which is one of the rarest forms.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

I’m still pissed we didn’t get Bennett. Would have been a great cheap add here for the 4th

Reactions: wafflepadsave

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Alright, hang on tight to your suspension of disbelief because I'm calling the shots for the next two years.

The way I see it, with the skill and eventually money that we have at wing, we need to get our jam in down the middle.

So think about this:

Panarin-Kravtsov-Cuylle
Lafreniere-Cirelli-Kakko
Berard-Kadri-Barron
Kreider-Henriksson-Ryan Hockeyson

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Lundkvist
Jones/Reunanen/Robertson-Trouba

Shestyorkin
Chet Goalieberg

-Kravtsov is a center in this league. I'll fight Gorton about it. I'll fight Quinn about it. I'll fight you about it.

-Cirelli is good at everything and was crafted by the hands of the hockey gods to meet every need this team currently has. I know we've been saying this for 10 years but Tampa has to pay for their team eventually. So I traded for him. What did I trade? You see who's not here. Make one up.

-Kardi is a '22 free agent. Colorado is going to win the Cup by then so they'll be paying a premium on keeping everyone. You want your f***ing jam? This man skates like a cheetah and hates Christmas. Only Tom Wilson is a bigger piece of shit. You're welcome. Now, this does depend on what the market is willing to give him but it has to at least be considered.

-I love that third line because all of them have played center at least at some point I think. Let's get some versatility in this lineup. Also, I'd be surprised if Berard and Kadri last a whole season on the same line without forechecking somebody into the East River.

-Yes, Kreider is on the 4th line. He probably belongs there. I didn't sign him.

-That at least gives you two players on the 4th line who can slot up into the top 9 without making you gouge your eyes out.

-I don't know how Cuylle will pan out because I don't have a crystal ball. But look who I have him playing with. If he's not ready, try Berard or Barron. It's an easy spot. "But Machinehead, Cuylle is a LW!" Yeah, so are Panarin and Lafreniere. Start planning around that.

dude you went Full Bern. You never go full Bern

if 2 of Berard, Vierling, Cuylle, Barron, Ronning Richards, turn out to be anything above 4th liners that would be immense for this club. It’s possible more then 2 can. But if you get 2 cheap middle/bottom 6 guys from that lot I’d consider us extremely lucky

Last edited:
Reactions: IDvsEGO

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I've a working theory that any child named "Chet" by his parents has a 99% chance of turning into a DoucheBro.

Consequently, it's the parent's fault. In this case he's a Jewish DoucheBro which is one of the rarest forms.
Well, he's a goalie so we had to assume he has some emotional disturbance anyway.

Reactions: Irishguy42
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad