Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You know if they just sit Howden and call up Barron that 4th line likely starts to score
Anyone over Howden at this point. He is terrible. The offense just dies when that line is on the ice. I feel for Kravtsov who is creating space and opportunities but he just has no one to work with. Rooney has played better the last 2-3 games, but running Howden out there too is a disservice. He is always a step behind the play/late. He has hands of stone, fumbles passes to him for turnovers. Loses 50/50 battles. He is so ineffective. Youre playing NJ, give Gauthier a look with Kravtsov even if it puts him on his off side. Just give Kravy someone with more talent.

If you cant beat NJ because you went for more talent on your 4th line then you deserve to lose.

Barron isn’t a bad option either, I just dont see them rushing him in the sense that they will let him continue to develop his game in Hartford with top line minutes each night.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Anyone over Howden at this point. He is terrible. The offense just dies when that line is on the ice. I feel for Kravtsov who is creating space and opportunities but he just has no one to work with. Rooney has played better the last 2-3 games, but running Howden out there too is a disservice. He is always a step behind the play/late. He has hands of stone, fumbles passes to him for turnovers. Loses 50/50 battles. He is so ineffective. Youre playing NJ, give Gauthier a look with Kravtsov even if it puts him on his off side. Just give Kravy someone with more talent.

If you cant beat NJ because you went for more talent on your 4th line then you deserve to lose.

Barron isn’t a bad option either, I just dont see them rushing him in the sense that they will let him continue to develop his game in Hartford with top line minutes each night.

It's not like Kravtsov has been stapled to the 4th line. He has gotten time with other lines as well.

I agree that Howden is ineffective at 5 on 5 and I would like to see Gauthier get in. I don't hate Howden, but he just hasn't progressed in his time here, for whatever reason.

Bring up Barron and see what he can do, or let Gauthier play. Rooney can play center and we have enough guys to handle PK duties without Howden.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

agreed if Kravtsov is not moving up to the Panarin line they may aswell move him to LW and put Gauthier at RW

reality is we need Howden to get claimed by Seattle

even Hajek has earned being protected not Howden

redwhiteandblue

Apr 1, 2013
It hurts at this point to watch Howden. He's trying so god damn hard (and has been to be fair, effor is never his knock) and yet he's so far behind the play. They have ruined this guys chances at having a long career as a bottom 6 guy potentially, or at least 4th liner.

Plays literally die when they go by Howden. He seems like the epitome of a drill killer at practice but yet it's always happening mid-game. It just sucks, it seems this team always lets one line up spot just go to waste.

Reactions: MetalJaws

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
It's not like Kravtsov has been stapled to the 4th line. He has gotten time with other lines as well.

I agree that Howden is ineffective at 5 on 5 and I would like to see Gauthier get in. I don't hate Howden, but he just hasn't progressed in his time here, for whatever reason.

Bring up Barron and see what he can do, or let Gauthier play. Rooney can play center and we have enough guys to handle PK duties without Howden.

I absolutely don’t think Kravtsov is hurting by formally being assigned to the 4th line as he had probably equal or close to combined ice time in top-9 (in the last 3 games). It actually forces other wingers not named Panarin or Buchnevich to play with more determination knowing that Quinn could switch them with Kravtsov.

It’s really about who Quinn trusts more between Howden, Gauthier and PDG on the 4th line where the primary objective is not generation of offense but rather not to make mistakes in the own zone and center ice.

Overall Howden is playing himself out of this lineup. If Lemieux brought back a 4th, I’d be perfectly fine with getting the same (or maybe even a 3rd if Gorton works his magic) in the offseason.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I absolutely don’t think Kravtsov is hurting by formally being assigned to the 4th line as he had probably equal or close to combined ice time in top-9 (in the last 3 games). It actually forces other wingers not named Panarin or Buchnevich to play with more determination knowing that Quinn could switch them with Kravtsov.

It’s really about who Quinn trusts more between Howden, Gauthier and PDG on the 4th line where the primary objective is not generation of offense but rather not to make mistakes in the own zone and center ice.

Overall Howden is playing himself out of this lineup. If Lemieux brought back a 4th, I’d be perfectly fine with getting the same (or maybe even a 3rd if Gorton works his magic) in the offseason.

Doesn't feel that way. Haha

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Howden's game with the puck is in complete shambles right now. He has worse hands than an ECHL pugilist right now.

The only thing saving him from the waiver wire is they want to expose him for expansion. At this point I'd rather Goat, PDG, dress 7 dmen, and Smith at Forward over Howden.

Reactions: bl02 and MetalJaws

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I found this interesting...

What teams roster and prospect pool would you do a complete swap/trade with?

As in, we'd get all of Carolinas roster etc. How many are there?

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
As of this moment, none.

MAYBE Colorado. Maybe.
I don’t even think Colorado.
They’re gonna get into cap trouble faster than we will, and they don’t have any prospects after newhook that really impress me.
I think if they don’t win in the next year or so, they’re gonna be forced to make a really tough decision.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I don’t even think Colorado.
They’re gonna get into cap trouble faster than we will, and they don’t have any prospects after newhook that really impress me.
I think if they don’t win in the next year or so, they’re gonna be forced to make a really tough decision.

I understand what you're saying but when you can build around Mackinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen up front along with Byram, Makar and Girardi on the back-end for the next 8-10 years, that's a pretty nice start.

Reactions: LokiDog

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Doesn't feel that way. Haha

Rooney and Blackwell (switch with Kravtsov going into top-9) already earned a spot ahead of Howden. Barron is due to be promoted no later than early next season. Gauthier is likelier to round up his game on the defensive side than Howden to improve on offense.

Reactions: MrAlmost

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
That will be up to Seattle. I don't think they take him, but it wouldn't be crazy either.

I think there has to be a dozen guys like Rooney available in the expansion draft. He's everything you want in a 4th line center (except being able to win faceoffs), but he's still a veteran 4th liner. I think the pick is Gauthier, Blackwell, or Howden.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think he's a great 4C. Could see him filling that role on a contender. I hope they keep him around.
Agreed. Of course, it bears mentioning that as of right now, unless a bunch of RFAs (or UFAs) get signed prior to the expansion deadline, he and Blackwell (and Strome, but there's no way he doesn't get protected after his season) are the only forwards who meet the expansion draft exposure requirement (27/54 games played, under contract for next year, no NMC), so there is a chance he'll get taken. But I think odds are good he survives and we'll see him back next year in the same role.

EDIT: beaten to the punch I see. :)

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Rooney and Blackwell (switch with Kravtsov going into top-9) already earned a spot ahead of Howden. Barron is due to be promoted no later than early next season. Gauthier is likelier to round up his game on the defensive side than Howden to improve on offense.

Oh I agree with you that Howden is not playing well enough to keep his spot. Kravtsov should be on the second line and the 4th line should be Blackwell-Rooney-Gauthier.

I was making light of the situation that Quinn continues to play Howden over the better player in Gauthier, to the point that Quinn played Howden last night expecting a win against a depleted Devils team so that Thursday's game he can use the "sticking with what worked" argument. Despite not changing the lineup after a loss to the Isles.

I think Quinn just doesn't like Goat. And perhaps Howden is a good practice player, works hard and battles in every drill, and Goat doesn't. Some guys are like that and some coaches don't like the bad practice players. Of course, that is pure speculation on my part. If our beat writers ever decided to actually cover our team we might actually have information one way or another.

Reactions: skipmowerman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad