Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
dude you went Full Bern. You never go full Bern

if 2 of Berard, Vierling, Cuylle, Barron, Ronning Richards, turn out to be anything above 4th liners that would be immense for this club. It’s possible more then 2 can. But if you get 2 cheap middle/bottom 6 guys from that lot I’d consider us extremely lucky
Barron has 18 points in 19 AHL games and he was a PPG player in college. He's probably already better than an NHL 4th liner.

If, in two years, you have nothing else out of the wealth of prospects we have, you can just keep Chytil or sign some scrub to play with Panarin like we did this year. With Fast in 2020 and Blackwell in 2021, we know we can put pretty much anybody on that line.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Like I said, I don't have a crystal ball, so nobody can fill in every spot.

But moving Kravtsov to center solves multiple problems and it's something I would be trying instead of trying to sneak into the last playoff spot like we did during the dark ages.

Part of me feels like we've wasted this year chasing a ghost instead of worrying about development. Every decision we make is about making the playoffs.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Like I said, I don't have a crystal ball, so nobody can fill in every spot.

But moving Kravtsov to center solves multiple problems and it's something I would be trying instead of trying to sneak into the last playoff spot like we did during the dark ages.

Part of me feels like we've wasted this year chasing a ghost instead of worrying about development. Every decision we make is about making the playoffs.

I believe that Gorton and JD have a vision and a plan in hand and it preaches patience. This team is being competitive while bringing along young talented players. I will say i dont believe Quinn is the man for the job.

Id love to try Kravtsov at center but again people he is not a center.

Also, this team is nothing like we had during the dark ages. We are the youngest team in the league, tons of talented players coming up the ranks, ALL of our draft picks, we have a future and a very bright one at that. You want to have young players grow and develop in a winning culture. Trust me it helps.. Ex Alabama. The dark ages our team was full of overaged and over priced vets, no draft picks, no young talent coming up, no future or present.

Lets pump the breaks a bit and realize that there are several options that this franchise can turn towards but i believe in GOrton and JD to build this team right

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yes.

And Trouba is 28 next year. How old do we need guys to be before they meet your arbitrary standard?
Teams need at least three 30+ year old semi-useless players to be successful because intangibles

You aren't a "veteran" in the eyes of old-heads until you reach that point.

Reactions: Machinehead

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Yes.

And Trouba is 28 next year. How old do we need guys to be before they meet your arbitrary standard?
I do think there's some merit to not rushing one of these kids into an NHL slot just yet. You've even made the point yourself about Miller that these kids struggle to make the jump immediately to the NHL, and I don't see anyone else other than Nils who I'm confident in making the full-time jump next year. Tarmo probably can, but I don't see them running out a third pairing of Reunanen-Lundkvist next season. If I had to have a one-year transition defensive group, this is what I'd like to see:

NHL:

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Cole/Nemeth-Lundkvist
Smith

Hartford:

Tarmo-Raddysh
Jones-Schneider
Robertson-Skinner

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Yes.

I agree with that. If the kids look good enough let them play and win a spot. Could always sign a guy like Holden as a cheap 7 D with experience if they are truly worried. I don’t see them dropping big assets on a Elkholm for 2 years. He would be great. But the cost to get him wouldn’t be and it’s not the most important allocation of resources at this time

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Chytil is excellent on the boards, is only three months older than Krav, and has shown exponentially more to this point in their careers. He was also one of just two or three players who looked good in the play in series last season. Why is he a "maybe" and Kravtsov an untouchable, exactly?

what a goal vs philly

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
I really have no issues with the top 9 forwards, well the top 9 IMO, Panarin, Kreider, lafreneire, Mika, Strome, Chytil, Buch, Kakko, & Kravtsov, it’s Howden who is garbage, I think guys like Rooney, Blackwell, & PDG are serviceable but shouldn’t be out there every night.

With that said I want to see what Barron can do, either at C or LW.

‘I like Gauthier but get the feeling the Rangers don’t have him in their long term plans.

Defenseman wise, Trouba, Fox, Miller, & Lindgren are fine by me, Trouba has played better sucks about his recent injury. It comes down to that 3rd line, guys like Nils, Hajek, Reunanen, Schneider, Jones should all get hard looks, I think bitetto is a good backup type.

Also question, if we do miss the playoffs, where would we pick, our most likely pick? Idk how the Kraken coming in effects the draft.

And we needed this win.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
having experience and guys who know how to win has NOTHING to do an age quota...how many games have we lost this year cause we are so young? this team has almost no experience especially in the playoffs besides kreider...

chara is a bad option cause he can't play anymore....but this team badly could use some veteran leadership to help support the kids. all teams that has won have had them.

and it has nothing to do with age...its about experience preferably deep playoff runs and stanley cup rings. if you can find that experience/leadership from a guy that has won and is still youngish, that's a double bonus. but we shouldn't undervalue the importance of leadership and experience.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
They signed leadership and experience already though.
They can get more. They don't have to be $6mill+ players. Our bottom six is gonna be pretty bare next season if they sell off part of that veteran core and you could definitely sign a role player with some good playoff experience for cheap that slots better on those lines than all the kids and ahl tweeners we have on them now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad