Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Where is the buyout window in relation to the expansion draft? Would DeAngelo already be bought out by then?

I think you are overthinking the expansion draft. The Rangers will lose one of Blackwell, Rooney, Howden, or Gauthier. Those are all low-impact players to begin with. None of them are worth any sort of shenanigans to try to retain them.
It’s not about worrying losing any of those guys (minus Gauthier I would be upset if they lose him)

my example specifically was related to a scenario where the team wanted to get rid of Georgiev’s cap hit. They can pay Kinkaid or someone like him 40% of what Georgiev makes to do the same thing

And again I said the chances of that becoming a legit scenario was low

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Also, count me in the group that wants Oleksiak. I'd give him a nice 1 year deal to play in NY for a season. I'd be assuming Jones, Schneider and Robertson all start the season in the AHL with Lundqvist as the 3RD.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Oleksiak-Lundqvist
Bitetto/Hajek

What this would do is allow for Oleksiak to play prime PK time and Lundqvist to play PP2 time. It will help disperse playing time a bit better.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
How about buying low on a kid like Lawson Crouse. 9 points in 44 games. 23 years old. Plays a hard-nosed style. Maybe something around Hajek for Crouse?
I would love a move like this but I believe the yotes love Crouse. His value is not in his production, it is almost entirely in the type of game he plays. It might not be the best comparison but buying a young Matt Martin type that has offense in his game would be tremendous. It is also why I dont think ARZ would move him.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Seems to me like if they want vets on only 1 year deals they are going to get the equivalent of Rooney, Bitetto, Blackwell, Jack Johnson and whatnot.

Some of those are fine depth, 4th line, options. Yet if they want anyone in demand that player is going to come with a relatively high cap hit and also some multi year term.

If that is the case, I'd go the Rooney, Bitetto, Blackwell option along with just using Hajek and whatever.

Anything that costs more both in cap hit and in term is displacing minutes and possible roles to some youth. If those youths are going to develop into anything above replacement level players, it's kind of time to just give them the chance to take those minutes.

I mean does anyone really want to see Miller play behind a LD vet all next year on the 3rd pair with clean-up time on special teams? Or would they rather have him competing with say Hajek, Reunanen, maybe Robertson instead?

Similar for any other vet they add, I'd rather see the youth forwards competing with Blackwell or whatever than see them have to beat out some vet who just signed for like 4M or 5M for 3 years, especially given coaching seem to be having trouble displacing even Blackwell.

Reactions: Boom Quack

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Where is the buyout window in relation to the expansion draft? Would DeAngelo already be bought out by then?

I think you are overthinking the expansion draft. The Rangers will lose one of Blackwell, Rooney, Howden, or Gauthier. Those are all low-impact players to begin with. None of them are worth any sort of shenanigans to try to retain them.

The buyout window is normally the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the end of the Stanley Cup Final. It's obviously not June 15th this year, and I couldn't find the date for this year, but it should absolutely be before the expansion draft.

nhl.com/news/nhl-2020-21-season-important-dates/c-319867218

July 9*: Last possible day of Stanley Cup Final.
July 17: Deadline for teams to submit protected lists for 2021 NHL Expansion Draft (5 p.m. ET).

* -- subject to change

Regardless of when the finals ends, the buyout period will begin no later than 48 hours later, which will be before protected lists must be submitted.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I know a lot of you have personal feelings about this, but considering we've got (temporary) cap space for next season they guy I'd offer a good one year contract to to solidify the defense while Jones and Robertson develop is Alec Martinez.

One year, 4 million. Comes off the books at exactly the right time.

Reactions: B17 Apricots

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know a lot of you have personal feelings about this, but considering we've got (temporary) cap space for next season they guy I'd offer a good one year contract to to solidify the defense while Jones and Robertson develop is Alec Martinez.

I wouldn't hate it. I think I'd prefer someone with a bit more bite but I can understand the attraction to Martinez

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I can't imagine he would be looking to sign a 1 year deal with us at age 33. If he doesn't re-sign with Vegas, he'll probably go to a team that will give him more term and has a better chance of winning the cup, even if the AAV is less.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
The buyout window is normally the later of June 15th or 48 hours after the end of the Stanley Cup Final. It's obviously not June 15th this year, and I couldn't find the date for this year, but it should absolutely be before the expansion draft.

nhl.com/news/nhl-2020-21-season-important-dates/c-319867218

Regardless of when the finals ends, the buyout period will begin no later than 48 hours later, which will be before protected lists must be submitted.

Do we know when the buyout window ends this year? Normally, it is June 30. If there is still time for a buyout after the expansion draft, then I would expect DeAngelo to be unprotected and then bought out if not claimed.

There's also the possibility of a second buyout window because Buchnevich and Shesterkin are eligible for arbitration.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
No shame in letting the kids get a year or 2 in the minors. If we're penciling Nils in for the 3 RD might not hurt to have a vet presence next to him like Smith or something. Its a shame JJ got as many games as he did, Tarmo should've been getting a long look here to see what we actually have with him

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Also, count me in the group that wants Oleksiak. I'd give him a nice 1 year deal to play in NY for a season. I'd be assuming Jones, Schneider and Robertson all start the season in the AHL with Lundqvist as the 3RD.

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Trouba
Oleksiak-Lundqvist
Bitetto/Hajek

What this would do is allow for Oleksiak to play prime PK time and Lundqvist to play PP2 time. It will help disperse playing time a bit better.

I get why some want a vet LD but screw it run the kids

they are already going to have 3 of Reananen , Robertson , Jones , Lundkvist , Schneider in the AHL

just sign Smith cheap

I still think they package a bunch of assets for a big C.... yes I would go for Eichel

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I get why some want a vet LD but screw it run the kids

they are already going to have 3 of Reananen , Robertson , Jones , Lundkvist , Schneider in the AHL

just sign Smith cheap

I still think they package a bunch of assets for a big C.... yes I would go for Eichel
Please do not run all kids out there on that defense. Trouba alone is not enough veteran presence. If many are expecting playoffs next year then you better add a reliable vet to the mix. Not a Brendan Smith who half the time looks like he is at least a serviceable bottom pair NHL Dman and the other half he looks like he should be in the AHL.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Let's say season ended last night

We are at 16 on draft day, who we taking?
Coming around on Svechkov. I think I like him better than Raty who is also going to be in that range.

People won’t like if the Rangers take another winger but I think Olausson might be very good value there. Would rather Olausson than L’Hereaux or Pastujov for example.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Eichel? Larkin? - Gonna hurt.

Barkov? Love to.

Trade high end D prospect(s) for high end C prospect(s)? That's kinda where I'm hanging my hat right now. But who's looking to make that kind of deal?

I think Jack goes to LA.
Larkin will cost Chytil plus Nils or Kravy.
Barkov is a hope but I keep hearing that he is leaning to resigning. Or at least not dying to get out of FLA.
Larkin first has to be made available. As of now, he is not. He would cost not as much as Eichel. I believe two prospects that no one wants to trade would get it done. So let's say a Kravstov and Lundqvist. Eichel we all know about. That is a Buchnevich, Lundqvist, Chytil and a 1st.

Of those two, I would probably pull the trigger on the Larkin deal. If the rumors about the LA package are anywhere near accurate, then yeah, that would be tough to beat for Eichel. Even without, I am more and more squarely in the "No Eichel" camp.

Barkov has little reason to leave Florida. So I think he stays.

I think that the future probably holds one of Zibenajad or Strome and Chytil as 2C. But we could see a scenario where both Strome and Mika are gone. Chances are that all three of Buchnevich, Mika and Strome are gone in the medium term. All depends on their ask and who, if any, are willing to take a Kreider like deal and stay with the team.

The young defensemen will start to get moved. Could well be as soon as this summer. You could trade Lundqvist AND Robertson and still be looking at a scenario where in a few years it is Trouba and 5 home grown defensemen. Which is pretty crazy by itself.

Reactions: Daves a mess

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is the part of the rebuild where things get really interesting, and Gorton has to earn his paycheck even more. Tough decisions ahead.

He has done a really nice job overall through the "asset accumulation" phase, albeit aided by some big time luck.

But now comes the strategic decisions RE roster structure that will go a long way towards determining if this team will become a true perennial contender or a perennial 4-8 seed with the odds stacked against it in the POs (I do believe in ~2 years that is the NYR floor, call me an optimist).
This is exactly right. Now is where, largely, Gorton and JD's legacy of the rebuild will be forged. The easy part of asset gathering is over. Now comes the hard part. Who, if any, stay? Who goes? What prospects are getting dealt off to shore up other weaknesses.

One thing is for sure. There will be moves made that lots of people will not like. Let's face it. One of Lundqvist or Schnieder is not long for the organization. Robertson and Jones are not both playing on the left side. Want roster diversification? Kravstov may be sacrificed. Or Buch traded. Or Strome kept and Mika traded. I think that starting at some point this summer, it will be time for us fans to buckle up and get on board for a wild ride.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Do we know when the buyout window ends this year? Normally, it is June 30. If there is still time for a buyout after the expansion draft, then I would expect DeAngelo to be unprotected and then bought out if not claimed.

There's also the possibility of a second buyout window because Buchnevich and Shesterkin are eligible for arbitration.

The draft is normally before June 30th. The expansion draft is before the regular draft, so the buyout window must be open until after both drafts.

Yes, we can probably use the second buyout window if necessary, but we are only allowed 3 of those total during the current CBA, and we've already used one on Shattenkirk. I don't know if the number was increased due to the CBA extension as part of the Memorandum of Understanding, but I can't see any reason why would need to use it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Again, seems premature to “guess” on the four (maybe six with Tarmo and skinner) kids on the blue line before we’ve had more time to evaluate them in the pros.

Maybe a deal happens halfway through next season instead of the offseason

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad