Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIX: Going 11-3 to close out this crazy year should do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Not for nothing, but this is like saying "the Rangers aren't good at all if you discount the 9-0 throttling of Philly".

Being 6'6" is one of the reasons why he is so good, yeah. No reason to ding him for it. It's why he is good now and has the potential to be very, very special when he stops making those little mistakes.
Can’t teach size and reach. Especially when it comes along with the speed he has. His positioning and critical thinking are going to get better the more he plays. Does he make mistakes?? Sure but the good far outweighs the bad when it comes to Rookie mistakes with him. Trouba has sped up his development if you ask me

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
There's no correlation there or maybe I'm missing it.. What is the exact reason we can't display 'high level hockey'?

Fundamentally, we are an average to poor team. Our overall gameplan, puck movement, rotations, player movement, puck support etc, is all average to poor. That has little to do with our roster talent imo. If anything we are greatly underachieving

Timeline also correlates with Brind'amour showing up. Maybe coaching plays a role? Carolina had a lot of young players leading the way.

Maybe Quinn is our Peters.... but who's our Brind'Amour?

Greatly underachieving? We are exactly where most people who live on planet earth expected them to be. I think we do display high level hockey a good amount of the time or we wouldn't be 5 games above NHL .500 with a top 5 GD. We are into the rebuild for 3 years and we have the youngest team in the league. We are inconsistent and frustrating at times. Some can be blamed on coaching and some is normal growing pains for a team that has basically turned over the entire roster in 3 F'ing years. We have a pretty good record and GD considering the injuries and Panarin incident, and we play in the toughest division in hockey. Most fans and experts believe this team will be a serious contender in the not too distant future, just not now. I'm done debating this. We'll see where we are in 2 years.

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
My biggest criticism of Miller is that his mistakes seem so unnecessary. It's not caused by him missing a step, or struggling to read the play.

No, the mistakes he makes seem to just the result of complacency. When he has the puck on his stick in his own zone, he doesn't clear it. He tries to be too cute and make a play first which has led to some prime scoring chances and even a goal or two the last week.

That also means these mistakes are the easiest to fix. The skill is there, the tools are there. He just needs to change his mindset and stick to the basics in those situations.

I attribute a lot of that to him not only being young, but also being comparatively new to the position. He was a forward until just a few years ago, and the progress he's made as a defenseman in that time is remarkable. It will just take a bit more time for him to develop those reflexive instincts for the position that most kids have had for years (from playing their position all their lives). With his work ethic, I don't doubt he'll have those gaffs out of his game in short order.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
Right now the Rangers are projected to have $27,600,199 in available cap room with 15 players signed, plus DeAngelo, below are the 15 players signed for 2021-2022 that are currently on the Rangers roster right now.

10 LW Artemi Panarin
20 LW Chris Kreider
13 LW Alexis Lafreniere
93 C Mika Zibanejad
16 C Ryan Strome
17 C Kevin Rooney
24 RW Kaapo Kakko
74 RW Vitali Kravtsov
43 RW Colin Blackwell
79 LD K’Andre Miller
6 LD Zachary Jones
22 LD Anthony Bitetto
8 RD Jacob Trouba
23 RD Adam Fox
40 G Alexandar Georgiev

Those 15 count for $46,167,857, plus DeAngelo’s $4.8M would make it $50,967,857, but DeAngelo will most likely be bought out, clearing $4,416,666 in cap room, which would give the Rangers $32,016,865 in cap room, with the following free agents.

You also have to remember that Nils Lundkvist will be signing, I wonder what amount of performance bonuses he gets? That plus his likely $925K cap number would be deducted from the $32M.
There RFAs are as follows.

72 C Filip Chytil
21 C Brett Howden
89 RW Pavel Buchnevich
12 RW Julien Gauthier
55 LD Ryan Lindgren
25 RD Libor Hajek
31 G Igor Shesterkin

It’s obvious that Chytil, Buchnevich, Lindgren, Hajek & Shesterkin should be retained, at least in my opinion, while I have no clue if the Rangers will retain Howden and/or Gauthier.

Then the team has a good number of their guys in the minors that are RFAs.

26 LW Tim Gettinger
34 C Patrick Newell
37 C Gabriel Fontaine
59 RW Ty Ronning
57 LD Yegor Rykov
46 LD Brandon Crawley
44 RD Darren Raddysh
32 G Adam Huska

So I guess the Rangers should have these guys signed for 2021-2022, of course 1 player will be taken in the Seattle Kraken’s expansion draft.

10 LW Artemi Panarin
20 LW Chris Kreider
13 LW Alexis Lafreniere
--- LW Will Cuylle
93 C Mika Zibanejad
16 C Ryan Strome
72 C Filip Chytil
47 C Morgan Barron
90 C Justin Richards
82 C Patrick Khodorenko
17 C Kevin Rooney
76 C Jonny Brodzinski
70 C Karl Henriksson
89 RW Pavel Buchnevich
24 RW Kaapo Kakko
74 RW Vitali Kravtsov
85 RW Austin Rueschhoff
63 RW Jacob Elmer
28 RW Anthony Greco
43 RW Colin Blackwell
79 LD K’Andre Miller
55 LD Ryan Lindgren
6 LD Zac Jones
97 LD Matthew Robertson
51 LD Tarmo Reunanen
22 LD Anthony Bitetto
--- LD Mason Geertsen
8 RD Jacob Trouba
23 RD Adam Fox
64 RD Nils Lundkvist
--- RD Braden Schneider
53 RD Hunter Skinner
25 RD Libor Hajek
31 G Igor Shesterkin
40 G Alexandar Georgiev
80 G Tyler Wall
71 G Keith Kinkaid

That’s 37 players, but as I said 1 player will be selected in the expansion draft, I wonder what other draft picks they may sign to ELCs, plus what other RFAs get re-signed.

I haven’t been paying much attention to Hartford so I don’t know who the Rangers would like to retain from the team that are RFAs.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yea, they will probably have the space next season to take on a bad one year deal for assets or sign a UFA to a substantive one year deal.

It’s the subsequent years where the cap becomes a bigger issue. Next season we are in the clear with plenty to spare

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
good thing he plays with roooney so Kevin can make time and space for VK, how stupid. VK has been one of the few drawing people to himself and opening up the game for linemates...
Quinn doesn’t ride the hot hand, or hot Line. For example say the kid line looks great during the game and Zibby line looks like ass, they are both still getting their usual minutes. Eventually you might see him make a switch for a shift or two, but he’s usually late to the party with those decisions

Reactions: duhmetreE

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Pretty disgusting that Smith has chosen in his contract year to elevate his game, but especially so that its still only about 85% of what he showed before we gave him the last contract. Hurl this one into the sun.

Reactions: bernmeister

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
These last 9 games mean nothing. The way this team played in these big games was crap.

I don’t care what they do. Momentum doesn’t carry over season to season.

Blackwell better be off the 2nd line. Kravtsov better be moved up. Zac Jones better play more minutes. Give PP2 and the kids more PP time.

It just sucks. You just hopes to see some guys come up big. Only one that did was Shesterkin.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Right now the Rangers are projected to have $27,600,199 in available cap room with 15 players signed, plus DeAngelo, below are the 15 players signed for 2021-2022 that are currently on the Rangers roster right now.

10 LW Artemi Panarin
20 LW Chris Kreider
13 LW Alexis Lafreniere
93 C Mika Zibanejad
16 C Ryan Strome
17 C Kevin Rooney
24 RW Kaapo Kakko
74 RW Vitali Kravtsov
43 RW Colin Blackwell
79 LD K’Andre Miller
6 LD Zachary Jones
22 LD Anthony Bitetto
8 RD Jacob Trouba
23 RD Adam Fox
40 G Alexandar Georgiev

Those 15 count for $46,167,857, plus DeAngelo’s $4.8M would make it $50,967,857, but DeAngelo will most likely be bought out, clearing $4,416,666 in cap room, which would give the Rangers $32,016,865 in cap room, with the following free agents.

You also have to remember that Nils Lundkvist will be signing, I wonder what amount of performance bonuses he gets? That plus his likely $925K cap number would be deducted from the $32M.
There RFAs are as follows.

72 C Filip Chytil
21 C Brett Howden
89 RW Pavel Buchnevich
12 RW Julien Gauthier
55 LD Ryan Lindgren
25 RD Libor Hajek
31 G Igor Shesterkin

It’s obvious that Chytil, Buchnevich, Lindgren, Hajek & Shesterkin should be retained, at least in my opinion, while I have no clue if the Rangers will retain Howden and/or Gauthier.

Then the team has a good number of their guys in the minors that are RFAs.

26 LW Tim Gettinger
34 C Patrick Newell
37 C Gabriel Fontaine
59 RW Ty Ronning
57 LD Yegor Rykov
46 LD Brandon Crawley
44 RD Darren Raddysh
32 G Adam Huska

So I guess the Rangers should have these guys signed for 2021-2022, of course 1 player will be taken in the Seattle Kraken’s expansion draft.

10 LW Artemi Panarin
20 LW Chris Kreider
13 LW Alexis Lafreniere
--- LW Will Cuylle
93 C Mika Zibanejad
16 C Ryan Strome
72 C Filip Chytil
47 C Morgan Barron
90 C Justin Richards
82 C Patrick Khodorenko
17 C Kevin Rooney
76 C Jonny Brodzinski
70 C Karl Henriksson
89 RW Pavel Buchnevich
24 RW Kaapo Kakko
74 RW Vitali Kravtsov
85 RW Austin Rueschhoff
63 RW Jacob Elmer
28 RW Anthony Greco
43 RW Colin Blackwell
79 LD K’Andre Miller
55 LD Ryan Lindgren
6 LD Zac Jones
97 LD Matthew Robertson
51 LD Tarmo Reunanen
22 LD Anthony Bitetto
--- LD Mason Geertsen
8 RD Jacob Trouba
23 RD Adam Fox
64 RD Nils Lundkvist
--- RD Braden Schneider
53 RD Hunter Skinner
25 RD Libor Hajek
31 G Igor Shesterkin
40 G Alexandar Georgiev
80 G Tyler Wall
71 G Keith Kinkaid

That’s 37 players, but as I said 1 player will be selected in the expansion draft, I wonder what other draft picks they may sign to ELCs, plus what other RFAs get re-signed.

I haven’t been paying much attention to Hartford so I don’t know who the Rangers would like to retain from the team that are RFAs.
Seattle please take Kreider. Oh wait. No move. Crap.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I feel it's time to move from the veteran core. We might take a step back in the standings next season but we'll take two steps forward the next.

Reactions: bernmeister

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I feel it's time to move from the veteran core. We might take a step back in the standings next season but we'll take two steps forward the next.

Or...the young guys take a leap and become the leaders with the veteran core become more like role options.

Although, Panarin is one of the 5 best players in the NHL. Zibanejad is a Top 15 C, even with his awful stretch this season. And Trouba is signed to a bazillion dollars.

I would try and move Kreider. That’s about it.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
You’re probably right but we know that won’t happen. The contracts have already been handed out and Trouba and kreider aren’t going anywhere. Obviously Panarin shouldn’t go anywhere.
Big decision is on zibby so if that what you mean by the core I’m ok with moving on from him but what are we getting back?

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
We have one of the thinnest veteran cores in the league. We desperately need 1-2 more quality vets, not fewer. Young players need veteran guidance.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
We have one of the thinnest veteran cores in the league. We desperately need 1-2 more quality vets, not fewer. Young players need veteran guidance.
It's mostly a cap issue. A few pieces of that core are gonna be due a huge raise here within a year or two and the cap is flat. We might have to suffer through an ugly season but all rebuilds do at one point or another. I'd rather sell this off-season as their prices are high and get a few good pieces back and add a couple of not too expensive UFAs that play the roles we need on the team.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Toews is a player I would love to add. Perfect fit for what this team needs. There is obviously a lot of uncertainty with his mystery situation and sitting out this whole year.

The cap commitment should be fine for next year but could get hairy for 2022-23 unless Chicago is willing to retain or take say, Kreider.

Tough to give up assets and sign up for that contract given his health uncertainty but I won’t lie, it is tempting.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
It's mostly a cap issue. A few pieces of that core are gonna be due a huge raise here within a year or two and the cap is flat. We might have to suffer through an ugly season but all rebuilds do at one point or another. I'd rather sell this off-season as their prices are high and get a few good pieces back and add a couple of not too expensive UFAs that play the roles we need on the team.
We’ve suffered through enough ugly. It’s time to win. This is the youngest team in the league and they are already a .500 team.

There’s enough money to sign the RFAs and add a couple of solid veterans. The Rangers need more sandpaper. There’s going to be some movement at the bottom of the roster because of a) Seattle and b) some players will no longer be waiver exempt (Howden, Gauthier, Hajek) and may need new homes. There’s also a lot more ELC players coming.

It’s all about making the right decisions.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Any chance the Rangers tell Seattle if they take TDA they will expose Gauthier for them to take?

Otherwise they get Howden . I still can’t see the expansion team taking a bit older guys like Blackwell or Rooney . This was their 1st full time years in the nhl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad