Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuneGoon84

Jun 21, 2019
Theres no way the Rangers are trading Mika. I think they're gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and let him try and bounce back next season. His past 2 seasons have earned him that.
To be fair, i think he is slowly getting back to his old self. SLOWLY is the operative word here. We should not give up on him, too soon. He has a proven track record.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Theres no way the Rangers are trading Mika. I think they're gonna give him the benefit of the doubt and let him try and bounce back next season. His past 2 seasons have earned him that.
They have no choice...nobody would pony up for his performances this season . They have to keep him and hope for an improvement in his contract season .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I dont know about that... I was 50/50 even with how he was playing last season... now, my concerns have tripled in giving him a long term contract

I expect him to have a great contract year... My worry is the 5-7 years after that

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
They have no choice...nobody would pony up for his performances this season . They have to keep him and hope for an improvement in his contract season .
Who knows how true this actually is, though? You’d think the Rangers would have to be shopping him in some capacity to know what his perceived value is around the league, no?

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Maybe, but the real reason to trade him is so you can get something for him before he's a UFA. Of course they could keep him and let him walk but I don't think that's a smart idea. Perhaps he is willing to sign a very team-friendly contract and that changes the complexion of the discussion but that would not be safe to assume.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I wouldnt mind some defensive help... We have a strong top4 when healthy... but I wouldn't mind a UFA to be to come in and help shore up our backend

Would CLB do a ADA for Savard swap?

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I wouldnt mind some defensive help... We have a strong top4 when healthy... but I wouldn't mind a UFA to be to come in and help shore up our backend

Would CLB do a ADA for Savard swap?

no one will touch ADA for anything of value

Savard will be a own rental or too a contender

NYR could trade for a Dman this year to keep in expansion

Reactions: haveandare

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Assuming Raty drops and the Rangers miss the playoffs. Should he be the target? Even if the Rangers need to make a trade? Raty does have good size and between a Laf and Kakko i wonder.

He's an interesting prospect with scouts somewhat divided on whether they are looking at a second forward or more of a third line type.

Forgetting for a moment about initial expectations, there does come a certain point in the draft where he becomes a mighty tempting target.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
How long does Gauthier take? Does he develop? into what? A poor mans Kreider?

A guy that big, fast and strong has a high floor. Even if he's just pushing the defense back or parking in front.

Would he benefit from a slight weight cut? Like Kreider did 2-3 years ago?

He has great potential but I honestly cant get a read on him.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

A guy that big, fast and strong has a high floor. Even if he's just pushing the defense back or parking in front.

Cutting weight isn't going to soften those stone hands of his. Dude is huge, and might be the only thing going for him anyway. It's tough to say because you think he is a third liner, but to me, a 4th line of Rooney, Goat, and PDG is actually pretty good and better, to me than rolling out any combo of Howden and Lem.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

We will find out in Seattle in a few years.

Reactions: leetch99 and DialUp

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If there’s ever going to be a major deal between Vegas and the Rangers I expect a smaller deal to preface it. That seems to be Gorton’s MO

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I’m sure Howden and Lemieux have a reputation around the league as good young players / recent prospects, which could bring some unexpected value back or be a sweetener to tilt a scale on in a stalled trade.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
I’m sure Howden and Lemieux have a reputation around the league as good young players / recent prospects, which could bring some unexpected value back or be a sweetener to tilt a scale on in a stalled trade.
Really? I am no scout and just a big city dummy, but those two are plugs, young yes, but plugs nonetheless.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Super super hesitant to let go of Lemieux. I get he's been a bit plateaued since he entered the league but he's our only agitator forward. There's no need to play him 15 minutes a game just let him toil and stir shit up on the 4th line.

Like I'm happy with PDG, but he's a dime a dozen player. I'd sit him well before Brendan.

Lets assume Kravtsov inserts himself into the lineup

Laf-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Rooney-Gauthier

Scratched- Blackwell, PDG, Howden

On paper that's a pretty solid forward group. Without Kravtsov, substitute in Blackwell.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Super super hesitant to let go of Lemieux. I get he's been a bit plateaued since he entered the league but he's our only agitator forward. There's no need to play him 15 minutes a game just let him toil and stir shit up on the 4th line.

Like I'm happy with PDG, but he's a dime a dozen player. I'd sit him well before Brendan.

Laf-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Rooney-Gauthier

On paper that's a pretty solid forward group. Without Kravtsov, substitute in Blackwell.

Even beyond the current roster, Lemieux is gonna start hearing Barron's footsteps sooner rather than later.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC

Laf-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Rooney-Gauthier

Kakko is not a 3rd liner anymore! Feels great to say it.

That is the best they could roll out this year and the first half of next. But the team is getting a bit of a shakeup by next year's TDL.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Even beyond the current roster, Lemieux is gonna start hearing Barron's footsteps sooner rather than later.

Well then hopefully they get something in return for him, because when he was acquired he was rumored to have the value of an early 2nd rounder.

If he's surplus to requirements, better to trade than lose him to Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad