Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
For such a young, skilled team, if the Rangers lose Lemieux and Smith this offseason, replaced by guys like Barron, Kravtsov and say Lundqvist, there are going to be games where they will get run out of the building. It’s not as bad as it once was, but you better believe teams like the Bruins and Caps will continue to play a heavy style. Hell, the Canes and Blue Jackets play the same way

I think tweaks would probably come with time.

For example, we're not going to be looking at several years of Kakko, Kravtsov and Buch all on the right wing. That's just not likely to happen. So you'll probably see some roster balance there.

At some point, sooner rather than later, you're probably looking at Schneider giving us a right side counterpart to Lindgren.

Beyond that, obviously there's hope for someone like Cuylle, we'll see whether Gauthier finds his niche or is replaced by someone who brings something different, we'll see if Chytil claims that second line spot and then is replaced by a different type of player on the third line, things of that nature.

It's still very much a roster in flux and one that will be changed considerably --- even if some of the more optimistic hopes come to fruition.

Reactions: Cag29 and NYR Viper

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Well then hopefully they get something in return for him, because when he was acquired he was rumored to have the value of an early 2nd rounder.

If he's surplus to requirements, better to trade than lose him to Seattle.
If he is who you lose to Seattle you throw a party.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I feel that when we move Lemieux we will instantly go looking for a player of his style, most teams seem to, us included after moving Prust. With guys like Fredric and Wilson kicking around and us being so young i think having him here is pretty valuable even if he isn't reaching a potential we may have elevated based on his family tree.

And we certainly could. It just might not be at left wing. It could be on defense, or at right wing, or even at center.

Reactions: Kords

effen

Feb 3, 2018
How long does Gauthier take? Does he develop? into what? A poor mans Kreider?

A guy that big, fast and strong has a high floor. Even if he's just pushing the defense back or parking in front.

Would he benefit from a slight weight cut? Like Kreider did 2-3 years ago?

He has great potential but I honestly cant get a read on him.
Gauthier is a create a player. Except when the player has control they use him to crush people in addition to scoring tons of goals and he's just not that guy.

He'll go as far as his defensive play allows and if he gets scared enough of his NHL career dying that he traffics the crease more.

Reactions: Ola

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Lemieux is a player that has been muzzled with this coaching staff. It's definitely a valid choice for Quinn to enact but I'd like to see him play openly under a coach that can manage it. We have a good PK now. If we can add some edge to our game, I'm all for it. Then again, we say that about every player needing a chance under a different coach. Gauthier and Lemieux I'd give a shot under the coach next year. We ended the series against Carolina citing needing to be more difficult to play against and I think Lemieux has enough energy and forecheck and nastiness to add to that.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Well then hopefully they get something in return for him, because when he was acquired he was rumored to have the value of an early 2nd rounder.

If he's surplus to requirements, better to trade than lose him to Seattle.
2nd rounders turn into NHL players what 20% of the time? 15% I forget the number.

Sometimes they turn into Brendan Lemieux, which is funny. A draft pick in and of itself isn't that valuable.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Lemieux is a player that has been muzzled with this coaching staff. It's definitely a valid choice for Quinn to enact but I'd like to see him play openly under a coach that can manage it. We have a good PK now. If we can add some edge to our game, I'm all for it. Then again, we say that about every player needing a chance under a different coach. Gauthier and Lemieux I'd give a shot under the coach next year. We ended the series against Carolina citing needing to be more difficult to play against and I think Lemieux has enough energy and forecheck and nastiness to add to that.
I'd keep Lemieux ideally, but someone is gonna go to Seattle and it's not gonna be Bitetto.

Reactions: Ola and Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I'd keep Lemieux ideally, but someone is gonna go to Seattle and it's not gonna be Bitetto.

It'll be Fast/Lindberg all over again. We just have to hope Seattle picks the wrong one out of Lemieux/Gauthier like Vegas did. There's always Howden too :laugh:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gauthier is a create a player. Except when the player has control they use him to crush people in addition to scoring tons of goals and he's just not that guy.

He'll go as far as his defensive play allows and if he gets scared enough of his NHL career dying that he traffics the crease more.

Good post and I agree.

And it’s not just him. We have many guys that aren’t physical and never will become — very — physical players.

But that is no excuse for not being physical at all. And it applies to Gauthier and Howden for sure. Phil DiGisueppi throws more hits in a game than these two will do all season. Blackwell is more physical than those two.

Is that something we like? Is that how it should be? If not — why isn’t it fixed? I have no illusions about how hitting is just about a mindset. It’s a skill. It can also be negative, easily be negative because you take yourself out of position. Someone like Babcock worked a lot on that, didn’t want his players finishing checks just for the sake of it late in shifts.

But a team also feeds of physical play. It wears on the defenders of the opposing team. Someone like Howden and Gauthier should land a big hit every now and then. If they played for teams that had more attitude — it would be required of them. If everyone were expected to be more chippy. I don’t like that we don’t request more from the team in this regard.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
35 games left in the season. Happy that there are that many left.

Tell you what, if we could just get through them with minimal injuries or any other crazy shit going on I’ll be a happy man.

To be able to see Breadman, Kaapo, Laffy, Chytil Miller and Foxy all in the lineup at once will be enough for me.

Reactions: Cag29

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I feel that when we move Lemieux we will instantly go looking for a player of his style, most teams seem to, us included after moving Prust. With guys like Fredric and Wilson kicking around and us being so young i think having him here is pretty valuable even if he isn't reaching a potential we may have elevated based on his family tree.
Btw ive followed Barrons, career since he was in peewee, his drive has gotten him here, he wasnt on anyones radar back then. He continues to move the goal posts of his potential, nothing would surprise me with him.

I tend to agree, would like to see them add to or complement that element to make a line that goes beyond the parts.

Has to fall on the lesser expensive side. Old school comp I guess, but something like Lemieux is a more skilled Hollweg, maybe Barron a Betts and add an Ortmeyer and they get 2 or even 3 of the primary PK forwards who also can take a shift 5on5 where the sum of the parts turns into not being negative. Not needing to have their upper line forwards also taking primary PK also adds value.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
I'm a fan of old school hockey in a major way and miss the rougher stuff constantly but it's abundantly clear that Lemieux is just not that good at hockey. He's consistently a step or two behind the play. I highly doubt Quinn's "muzzle" applies to his legs and skating.

Increasingly feels like if his last name wasn't Lemieux he wouldn't have a regular spot in an NHL lineup.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
If we were at 6th, and Johnson/Beniers went 4/5, I'd feel gutted.

If we can't get a C with our 1st pick, then we should trade it for one (or trade up in the first place).

Wild scenario, but offer #6 for Newhook or Krebs?
We just have so so so much young depth at LW, RW, LD, RD, G, that I feel like BPA would actually be the worst option available if it's not a C.

If our pick is a little later than we thought, and Raty is available, I'd be down to pick him even if his floor and ceiling are both "3rd line C on a very good team."

If we're that close, and Gorton didn't make every effort to move up to get either, I would lose my shit.

That's when you take advantage of having a full stocked cupboard in the farms.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC
How long does Gauthier take? Does he develop? into what? A poor mans Kreider?

A guy that big, fast and strong has a high floor. Even if he's just pushing the defense back or parking in front.

Would he benefit from a slight weight cut? Like Kreider did 2-3 years ago?

He has great potential but I honestly cant get a read on him.
So far this season, he's played a pretty similar game to Peter Holland imo
I have high hopes though, he does seem to be a pretty cerebral player
There is just not that much room on the ice in the NHL. Or being a winger on our roster...
He is fast but not necessarily quick. That can come with experience though

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Looking at the cross section between great prospect/BPA and fit for the team, Beniers is that player in just about every sense of the word.

You could probably argue that he's not sure-fire first line center, but the counter to that argument is that those same comments were made about the players he is most often compared to.

I know the Rangers absolutely love Beniers and I suspect that if they were even within range of him, you'd see a Zegras/Pettersson/Keller type interest.
How many years out is Beniers?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
For such a young, skilled team, if the Rangers lose Lemieux and Smith this offseason, replaced by guys like Barron, Kravtsov and say Lundqvist, there are going to be games where they will get run out of the building. It’s not as bad as it once was, but you better believe teams like the Bruins and Caps will continue to play a heavy style. Hell, the Canes and Blue Jackets play the same way

I think most would be fine with Smith back cheap as a 7th D.

Of course there is a distinct possibility that Smith might get more than the minimum on the open market.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Looking at the cross section between great prospect/BPA and fit for the team, Beniers is that player in just about every sense of the word.

You could probably argue that he's not sure-fire first line center, but the counter to that argument is that those same comments were made about the players he is most often compared to.

I know the Rangers absolutely love Beniers and I suspect that if they were even within range of him, you'd see a Zegras/Pettersson/Keller type interest.

At their current rate they are gonna play themselves way out of the conversation for Beniers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->