Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
giphy.gif

When Quinn preaches about effort.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I have a suspicion that Winnipeg and Columbus intentionally traded with each other as a clear message. The value fit, but I think Chevy and Jarmo didn't like their guys trying to force a big market trade. They said I'm in charge, you have your opportunity to call your shot later. Twist my arm and you go to Siberia.

Those guys are a tier just below Eichel but I think the situation is too unique to use as a comp.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not against Eichel but bringing him here is going to cause giant holes elsewhere, whether that's at goal or center depth or whatever. You trade Chytil for Eichel, you lose Chytil and probably Zib. Now you have Eichel, Howden, and Baron? That won't work. Then you need to move more assets for another C. Assets you've probably included in the Eichel deal - Lundqvist, Schneider or whoever. It's tricky. I know Eichel is all world, but they better be sure he's the last piece.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
I have a suspicion that Winnipeg and Columbus intentionally traded with each other as a clear message. The value fit, but I think Chevy and Jarmo didn't like their guys trying to force a big market trade. They said I'm in charge, you have your opportunity to call your shot later. Twist my arm and you go to Siberia.

Those guys are a tier just below Eichel but I think the situation is too unique to use as a comp.
I agree. I look at that trade and the Ryan Johansen/Seth Jones trade as deviations from the mean. But even if we consider them as precedent, Buffalo fans (based on the main trade board) wouldn't accept something like a Fox/Eichel swap or even Kakko + Chytil / Eichel.

This situation is also vastly different from the PLD/Laine & Roslovic trade because of the contracts and salary cap. Kakko and Chytil (for example) are on ELC's and looking at cheaper bridge deals in the next year or two while Eichel is locked in at $10M for 5 more years. PLD and Laine are both pending RFAs, so each team has their say in the next contract both players will get.

I've said it before and will say it again. Even if we don't end up with Eichel, the return likely won't match expectations simply because there are limited suitors, both from a asset and salary cap perspective.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm not against Eichel but bringing him here is going to cause giant holes elsewhere, whether that's at goal or center depth or whatever. You trade Chytil for Eichel, you lose Chytil and probably Zib. Now you have Eichel, Howden, and Baron? That won't work. Then you need to move more assets for another C. Assets you've probably included in the Eichel deal - Lundqvist, Schneider or whoever. It's tricky. I know Eichel is all world, but they better be sure he's the last piece.
There is no probably about it. There is now way that the team can afford to resign ZBad AND have Eichel on the books for $10m.

Eichel is fantastic. But once you begin factoring in the assets given up to get him, the cash hit to the cap, the assets spent in looking to build around him at a time when the roster is still far from being completed, the probably holes it created on the roster (C & RW come to mind instantly), it is not necessarily such a slam dunk or a black and white deal. Could it be done? Of course. But careful thought needs to be given to see if this is the right move or a move that gives short term pleasure but causes long term pain.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
No way am I trading two centers in any deal. Not trading both Zibby and Chytil. I don't care if it is Eichel.
The view that Buffalo would demand Chytil is realistic. If fact, were I Buffalo, the deal does not get done without him. And while you may not need to trade ZBad immediately, you would need to make a move the following year or loose him for nothing to free agency.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Figures... laughing when they miss passes... they must be laughing a lot

it’s less about stupid stuff like that.

More about guys learning to be professional. To balance the ups and downs of a season. Keep their emotions in check so they’re never too high or too low.

Obviously Blackwell has been on a long journey. You don’t get where he’s got without learning to deal emotionally with the grind, the let downs, and how to manage all of that to keep yourself focused and fresh.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
What we’re learning though is that you need 3 legit centers. You don’t need 3 star centers but you desperately need 3 and we don’t have a guy that can replace Chytil in the entire system if he goes the other way. Howden had a chance I was hoping he could show it and he has fallen on his face as far as I’m concerned.

To me you need a cost effective third option and Chytil is that with the ability to move up the lineup.

I’m not trading him.

For me the offer would be Strome lundkvist and our first round pick. And if it was a make or break I’d include kravtsov. But that’s a huge offer and one I don’t think the Rangers are willing to make

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The view that Buffalo would demand Chytil is realistic. If fact, were I Buffalo, the deal does not get done without him. And while you may not need to trade ZBad immediately, you would need to make a move the following year or loose him for nothing to free agency.
correct just won't trade both in the same trade to Buffalo. I would rather trade Zibby for several reasons but doubt he would waive to go to Buffalo.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For me the offer would be Strome lundkvist and our first round pick. And if it was a make or break I’d include kravtsov. But that’s a huge offer and one I don’t think the Rangers are willing to make
I do not think there is a deal to be had without Chytil.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

This would be a worthwhile conversation to have and a better alternative than some posters talking as if Eichel is this cancer who isn’t worth acquiring.

I think there’s some merit to trying to stabilize the C position with a more balanced approach, considering who we have on the wings, rather than having it be top-heavy with Eichel. The only question is, which players are you targeting to build that depth? I know Elias Lindholm’s name has been thrown around a bunch, but I can’t see CGY trading him. I think we’d have to figure out which players are around the league that fit a similar mold and try to target them moving forward.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
correct just won't trade both in the same trade to Buffalo. I would rather trade Zibby for several reasons but doubt he would waive to go to Buffalo.
Doubt it would be the same deal. But yeah, trade for Chytil and you are still looking at an immediate need for a center. Even if we go with Strome stepping up and continuing at 2C and Rooney holding down the line at 4C, the idea of Howden as a long term 3C does not excite at all.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This would be a worthwhile conversation to have and a better alternative than some posters talking as if Eichel is this cancer who isn’t worth acquiring.

I think there’s some merit to trying to stabilize the C position with a more balanced approach, considering who we have on the wings, rather than having it be top-heavy with Eichel. The only question is, which players are you targeting to build that depth? I know Elias Lindholm’s name has been thrown around a bunch, but I can’t see CGY trading him. I think we’d have to figure out which players are around the league that fit a similar mold and try to target them moving forward.
So let's start to explore that, as we know that such a player is currently not in the system. Do you a) try to sign ZBad on a team friendly deal and head into next year with him, Strome and Chytil? B) Let both ZBad & Strome enter next year with no long term deal and see how they perform? C) Immediately explore the trade market to seek out ZBad's replacement? Then that begs the question of who realistically is that player and what is he going to cost in terms of assets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad