Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXIII: Smell a smaller trade incoming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Super super hesitant to let go of Lemieux. I get he's been a bit plateaued since he entered the league but he's our only agitator forward. There's no need to play him 15 minutes a game just let him toil and stir shit up on the 4th line.

Like I'm happy with PDG, but he's a dime a dozen player. I'd sit him well before Brendan.

Lets assume Kravtsov inserts himself into the lineup

Laf-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Rooney-Gauthier

Scratched- Blackwell, PDG, Howden

On paper that's a pretty solid forward group. Without Kravtsov, substitute in Blackwell.
Howden has more value as a 4th line winger than Gauthier imo.

I could be wrong but I feel as if Lemmy was neutered by the coaching staff. He had a target on his back with the refs but I think he was more effective when he played his game.

PDG has done absolutely nothing since Chytil got hurt.

Blackwell is a solid player to have on the roster but he is what he is... Hopefully a player like Laf or Buch replace him soon on PP1

but thats a solid forward group. Could use a little more 'Jam' but it is what it is... add that to our potential top6 D corps... A chance for Lundkvist, Scheider, Robertson, Hajek and Reunanen to be the bottom pair.. We are stacked ngl.

IMO the only thing missing, is a player liek Bennett sprinkled in somewhere in the bottom6

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
He's an interesting prospect with scouts somewhat divided on whether they are looking at a second forward or more of a third line type.

Forgetting for a moment about initial expectations, there does come a certain point in the draft where he becomes a mighty tempting target.

Couldn't the Rangers eventually use or utilize both versions? If they end up continuing their rebuild rather than trading half of it for Eichel it seems like them ending up with some cost controlled centers to play with the wings and D they drafted would be a good thing whether or not they end up as Rangers or as trade commodities.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Even beyond the current roster, Lemieux is gonna start hearing Barron's footsteps sooner rather than later.

I don't know, Lemieux provides an physical, willingness to fight and stick up for his team that i don't see much of on this team outside of Lindgren and smith and for that i think if he can fit in the cap he will have a spot here if he wants it for the next while.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Well then hopefully they get something in return for him, because when he was acquired he was rumored to have the value of an early 2nd rounder.

If he's surplus to requirements, better to trade than lose him to Seattle.

I think he'll bring some value added. I mean he's a fourth line NHL'er and he brings something different to the table in today's game.

Reactions: egelband

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I don't know how we can go into the expansion draft with a protection slot used on Hajek.

There just HAS TO be a Dman out there whose team would rather recoup *something* now instead of exposing due to lack of protection slots.

Shesty's exempt, and we can protect Georgie.
Fox is exempt, and we can protect Lindgren.
Protect 7 F, and someone like Gauthier is exposed.

We are set up to leave only table scraps exposed for expansion, and with the departure of ADA, we are in a unique spot to have one protection slot open on D for an acquisition. Since we're talking more about "going into next season," I don't see us targeting a RD. Someone like a Savard now would be a pretty cool add for the rest of the season if for some stupid reason CLB wanted Tony, but we should be targeting a LD. Especially if the deal is made in the offseason.

Who's out there at LD, that is the 4th best D on their team, and is either youngish or has a shorter manageable contract?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Couldn't the Rangers eventually use or utilize both versions? If they end up continuing their rebuild rather than trading half of it for Eichel it seems like them ending up with some cost controlled centers to play with the wings and D they drafted would be a good thing whether or not they end up as Rangers or as trade commodities.

They certainly could, which is where I think he becomes an interesting option for them at a certain point.

If they're sitting 6th in the draft, probably not the best choice.

But sitting just outside the top 10, maybe the early teens? Yeah, I think he's a potential candidate.

The key with Raty is being in a position where you can live with him "only" being a third line center.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm not sure Lemieux is a guy you even "get something" for.

I like the kid but I've never seen a nothing 4th liner with as much perceived value.

After we got him at the deadline beat writers were claiming half a dozen teams had already inquired about the kid.

Granted, he's stagnated, but if Derek Dorsett got a trade return so should he.

Reactions: Machinehead

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't know, Lemieux provides an physical, willingness to fight and stick up for his team that i don't see much of on this team outside of Lindgren and smith and for that i think if he can fit in the cap he will have a spot here if he wants it for the next while.

I kind of feel like with Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere on the left side, and some combination of Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier on the right side, at some point you run out of a spot to use him and the Rangers are pretty high on Barron.

There was some thought Barron could challenge at the center position, which would potentially prolong Lemieux's leash, but I don't know if that's the direction Barron or the Rangers are heading at this point.

It's certainly possible, but I don't know if the Rangers are going to move other guys to keep him either.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
After we got him at the deadline beat writers were claiming half a dozen teams had already inquired about the kid.

Problem is, when we got him he was 22 playing his 2nd year in the league looking like there was room to grow. But he hasnt grown much. He has stagnated as you said. I just dont know how much you’d really get for him.

I would rather just keep him for the 4th line and hope his production increases to 25-30 points per year at some point.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I'm not sure Lemieux is a guy you even "get something" for.

I like the kid but I've never seen a nothing 4th liner with as much perceived value.

I dunno, there's almost always someone out there interested in a guy who can take a regular shift and provide some physicality.

Now whether that's going to return a top 62 pick is another matter. But I think he's a potential component as part of a bigger trade or maybe a deal for a mid-round pick.

Reactions: Machinehead

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
They certainly could, which is where I think he becomes an interesting option for them at a certain point.

But sitting just outside the top 10, maybe the early teens? Yeah, I think he's a potential candidate.

The key with Raty is being in a position where you can live with him "only" being a third line center.

I am a optimistic fan when it comes to prospects over vets, much to do with cost per performance possibilities, and their trade value should they show progress over vets who have clauses and large cap hits, so therefor any center draftee they see as a plausible top 6 who may turn out to be a line lower, I'd be fine with that gamble given they already drafted a lot of potential at wings and D. (should they decide to keep that)

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York

Derek Dorsett was a much better player imo.

I don’t find Lemieux to be good at much. Even his one standout skill in being a pest is not effective enough anymore to warrant an everyday spot in the lineup.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
For such a young, skilled team, if the Rangers lose Lemieux and Smith this offseason, replaced by guys like Barron, Kravtsov and say Lundqvist, there are going to be games where they will get run out of the building. It’s not as bad as it once was, but you better believe teams like the Bruins and Caps will continue to play a heavy style. Hell, the Canes and Blue Jackets play the same way

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

If we were at 6th, and Johnson/Beniers went 4/5, I'd feel gutted.

If we can't get a C with our 1st pick, then we should trade it for one (or trade up in the first place).

Wild scenario, but offer #6 for Newhook or Krebs?
We just have so so so much young depth at LW, RW, LD, RD, G, that I feel like BPA would actually be the worst option available if it's not a C.

If our pick is a little later than we thought, and Raty is available, I'd be down to pick him even if his floor and ceiling are both "3rd line C on a very good team."

Reactions: mas0764

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
For such a young, skilled team, if the Rangers lose Lemieux and Smith this offseason, replaced by guys like Barron, Kravtsov and say Lundqvist, there are going to be games where they will get run out of the building. It’s not as bad as it once was, but you better believe teams like the Bruins and Caps will continue to play a heavy style. Hell, the Canes and Blue Jackets play the same way
I question the extent to which Lemieux even addresses this anymore.

Reactions: ponzu4u

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the Rangers have beaten the caps all 3 meetings this season with no contributions from either of them.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
I kind of feel like with Panarin, Kreider, Lafreniere on the left side, and some combination of Buch, Kakko, Kravtsov, Gauthier on the right side, at some point you run out of a spot to use him and the Rangers are pretty high on Barron.

There was some thought Barron could challenge at the center position, which would potentially prolong Lemieux's leash, but I don't know if that's the direction Barron or the Rangers are heading at this point.

It's certainly possible, but I don't know if the Rangers are going to move other guys to keep him either.

As a long-time follower of Cornell hockey, that's nice to hear about Barron.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Lemieux I think is useful, yet more as part of a whole physical grinding line. Without the two other forwards who could play that game, which the Rangers do not have, he seems like an outlier to the refs rather than something like the Islanders or Bruins 4th line where the refs let it go because that is just how they play and the refs get used to it. Tough to target just one player when all three of them, or even more, are doing the same things.

Reactions: leetch99

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If we were at 6th, and Johnson/Beniers went 4/5, I'd feel gutted.

If we can't get a C with our 1st pick, then we should trade it for one (or trade up in the first place).

Wild scenario, but offer #6 for Newhook or Krebs?
We just have so so so much young depth at LW, RW, LD, RD, G, that I feel like BPA would actually be the worst option available if it's not a C.

If our pick is a little later than we thought, and Raty is available, I'd be down to pick him even if his floor and ceiling are both "3rd line C on a very good team."

Looking at the cross section between great prospect/BPA and fit for the team, Beniers is that player in just about every sense of the word.

You could probably argue that he's not sure-fire first line center, but the counter to that argument is that those same comments were made about the players he is most often compared to.

I know the Rangers absolutely love Beniers and I suspect that if they were even within range of him, you'd see a Zegras/Pettersson/Keller type interest.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Super super hesitant to let go of Lemieux. I get he's been a bit plateaued since he entered the league but he's our only agitator forward. There's no need to play him 15 minutes a game just let him toil and stir shit up on the 4th line.

Like I'm happy with PDG, but he's a dime a dozen player. I'd sit him well before Brendan.

Lets assume Kravtsov inserts himself into the lineup

Laf-Mika-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kravtsov
Kreider-Strome-Kakko
Lemieux-Rooney-Gauthier

Scratched- Blackwell, PDG, Howden

On paper that's a pretty solid forward group. Without Kravtsov, substitute in Blackwell.

If that’s the lineup with kids developing well at years end then I’m pretty optimistic of that groups potential

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If that’s the lineup with kids developing well at years end then I’m pretty optimistic of that groups potential

It looks pretty good on paper, just even if Zibanejad returns to basic functional form.

Next step is to get Lundkvist and Robertson/Schneider in here and get the defensive group improving.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

I feel that when we move Lemieux we will instantly go looking for a player of his style, most teams seem to, us included after moving Prust. With guys like Fredric and Wilson kicking around and us being so young i think having him here is pretty valuable even if he isn't reaching a potential we may have elevated based on his family tree.
Btw ive followed Barrons, career since he was in peewee, his drive has gotten him here, he wasnt on anyones radar back then. He continues to move the goal posts of his potential, nothing would surprise me with him.

Reactions: Off Sides and Kendo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad