Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I’m 99 percent sure that the plan was make the playoffs this season and then start looking to go deeper in the playoffs starting next year, with approximately a five year window before we reassess what to do with our veterans and which of our young kids to extend.

If they do it right this could be a good hockey team for well over a decade.
NO absolutely wrong, the plan wasn't TO make the playoffs this year. The plan was to make a run and possibly make the playoffs. But you know, the world changed. Nothing is normal.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
We'll be lucky to get them back...they have been great and I'm sure other clubs have noticed . Couple of these guys might get a 2 year deal elsewhere for next season . Our surplus cap for next season will soon vanish ....don't get your hopes up for a big name 4th line anytime soon . We'll likely have much the same type of guys ....I just hope they work as hard as these guys have for the money .

Rooney and Blackwell are signed for next year so they can be exposed in the expansion draft

DiGiuseppe may get traded as he’s a cheap ufa

Reactions: leetch99

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
NO absolutely wrong, the plan wasn't TO make the playoffs this year. The plan was to make a run and possibly make the playoffs. But you know, the world changed. Nothing is normal.

Rangers are one of the youngest teams in the league. Keep adding talent and then be able to make a long run is what I hope happens.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If their plan was to make the playoffs then the plan was bad from the beginning

just making it through the year and the young players having a good season was going to be a total win

tough to make the playoffs when you’ve 25 million in dead cap space currently on the roster

Last edited:

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
With Panarin out, the ice time between PP1 and PP2 should be more evenly split.

Lafreniere is on the PP unit with Buchnevich and Miller, away from Mika, Kreider and Strome.

Don’t most of you cry about the underperformance from the latter 3? What’s the problem then?

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
The question is why? What does Quinn see, or not see, in Lafreniere that's preventing him from giving him this opportunity?

Is it purely a good old boys thing? "Ya gotta earn it kid!"

Does he just not show enough in practice to be trusted?

Is this a strategic move to suppress the kid's stats and keep him affordable for longer?

Makes absolutely no sense.
Quinn only has eyes for howden!

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's going to keep me up at night wondering if Carl Hagelin would have sucked on the power play more than Colin Blackwell will.

Reactions: Synergy27

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The expectation coming into the season was for the Rangers to "compete for a playoff spot." Larry Brooks wrote multiple preseason articles about this. Let's call it finishing 7-10 in the former Eastern Conference. They are now more than a quarter into the season and are 3 points out last place in their division. Whether the goal was to compete for the playoffs or earn a slot in the playoffs, they are clearly underperforming expectations.

Reactions: ponzu4u

TheBPA

Jul 1, 2004
The expectation coming into the season was for the Rangers to "compete for a playoff spot." Larry Brooks wrote multiple preseason articles about this. Let's call it finishing 7-10 in the former Eastern Conference. They are now more than a quarter into the season and are 3 points out last place in their division. Whether the goal was to compete for the playoffs or earn a slot in the playoffs, they are clearly underperforming expectations.

The expectation coming into the season was for the Rangers to "compete for a playoff spot." Larry Brooks wrote multiple preseason articles about this. Let's call it finishing 7-10 in the former Eastern Conference. They are now more than a quarter into the season and are 4 points out of a playoff spot. Whether the goal was to compete for the playoffs or earn a slot in the playoffs, they are clearly in the mix.

Reactions: Crease

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Actually I can answer that. Hagelin was given chances on the power play and he was flat out brutal. It’s impossible for me to imagine anyone worse.

Hagelin's premier skill was his speed.... Powerplay's are all about small movements in the offensive zone and quick passes for shots.

Hagelin had stone hands and his vision was terrible. He had a decent defensive stick and supreme wheels... neither of which matter on a PP.

Reactions: Reway10

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
And that accelerated the rebuild, so it's not a 5 year plan. You're the exact type who always had everyone saying you can't rebuild in NY. It Takes PATIENCE. Key players for the playoffs are still learning to play in the NHL. And now you throw this Covid chaos on top of everything and have them play a shorter schedule in a tougher division and how is that supposed to make a "playoffs would be nice", into "playoffs are a must".

First off it's already been over 3 years and the timeline got vastly accelelrated by getting extremely lucky to get a 1 ovr, 2 ovr, and signing a MVP candidate. Secondly I can assure you I am more patient than most. I just cannot stand the attitude "Well nothing matters because we're not competing anyway so if we play Bitetto on the PP and if we play Staal (last year) and if we play Jack Johnson it's fine because we're not trying to win anyway" If you never try to win then it's just a self fulfilling prophecy and you never will. The team is trying to win. They have had a lot of things take place that should make it possible. The division is barely tougher than it would have been and a shorter season makes them more likely to make the playoffs than a longer season. If anyone has that attitude then I honestly don't understand why they are even here or even watching.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007
First off it's already been over 3 years and the timeline got vastly accelelrated by getting extremely lucky to get a 1 ovr, 2 ovr, and signing a MVP candidate. Secondly I can assure you I am more patient than most. I just cannot stand the attitude "Well nothing matters because we're not competing anyway so if we play Bitetto on the PP and if we play Staal (last year) and if we play Jack Johnson it's fine because we're not trying to win anyway" If you never try to win then it's just a self fulfilling prophecy and you never will. The team is trying to win. They have had a lot of things take place that should make it possible. The division is barely tougher than it would have been and a shorter season makes them more likely to make the playoffs than a longer season. If anyone has that attitude then I honestly don't understand why they are even here or even watching.

The division is tougher, and you are discounting the fact that they only play in the division, no road trips to play bottom feeding western or southern teams. I would also argue that a shorter season is tougher for a young team like the Rangers to make the playoffs especially with no preseason. This season was always going to be weird, and I'm not totally surprised its all gone to pot, much in the same way it did in the bubble. Another high draft pick isn't the worst scenario for the franchise either, though not my preference.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We have just the defenseman for you. Come on up JJ.

Gunnarsson was a spare. Their depth without him is

Krug/Parayko
Scandella/Faulk
Dunn/Bortuzzo

With Mikkola filling in while Parayko is day-to-day.

Plus, there are like a billion better options than JJ. Hell, they could get Staal if they wanted to go that route.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Michael Grabner still out there. Bet teams calling his agent tons these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad