Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004
In all honesty...playing some games without Panarin might actually be a good thing for this club right now . Playoffs really do not matter for this year anyways ...versus player development on some kids . This will be a real good test of what we have and they are going to get a chance to play more . Gauthier/Laf will be front and center and KK when he returns . The downside though is that Mika will be tasked more which might not be in his best interest at the moment . If these kids can up their game and show they are ready for more key minutes that is win win for us moving forward .

Another chance at high draft pick (hopefully a center), is at least something to look forward to.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Will Chytil also need the rest of the season to get back into form...god I hope he picks up where he left off, but broken wrist/hand is tough to get full strength and mobility back

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Very excited to see if Chytil can return to his great form from early this season.

Troubas issue is his hand so presumably this is just a fitness skate

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Will Chytil also need the rest of the season to get back into form...god I hope he picks up where he left off, but broken wrist/hand is tough to get full strength and mobility back

I am thinking it was his wrist too but are we sure? If it was the good thing is it didn’t require and surgery or pins or anything like that. With some rehab on and off the ice he will be fine

Reactions: romba

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
It's a tiresome argument when every year it's "winning doesn't matter this year." They were right in it last year and despite all the issues they have been right there this year (Though obviously the team just took a huge hit). I guarantee it will be the same argument next year if they get off to a slow start.
You do remember the rebuild don’t you?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Come on man I really like Blackwell I do but why can’t we see Laf on the first pp unit?! Second unit means crap when you’re getting the last 10 seconds of a pp

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

I think there’s some value in getting the kids some real playoff experience before you dive heads deep into a competitive window.

Id rather just make it this season and lose in six games than be a lottery team again

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Yes, the narrative never ends. Every season "Well it doesn't really matter what happens because we're not trying to compete anyway." It's completely false. They brought in Panarin. They traded for Trouba. They extended Kreider. They might not be ready yet or good enough but they are absolutely trying to compete - and compete now - which is what they should be doing while their young players are on ELCs and some of their older players are still signed to good deals (Zibanejad).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Implying we're not already incredibly braced for line changes. Quinn's line blender has like 7 settings higher than Torts' did.

You say that, yet our top 6 was set for most of last year. If something works, he leaves it alone. Funny that.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yes, the narrative never ends. Every season "Well it doesn't really matter what happens because we're not trying to compete anyway." It's completely false. They brought in Panarin. They traded for Trouba. They extended Kreider. They might not be ready yet or good enough but they are absolutely trying to compete - and compete now - which is what they should be doing while their young players are on ELCs and some of their older players are still signed to good deals (Zibanejad).
Yeah I’m 99 percent sure that the plan was make the playoffs this season and then start looking to go deeper in the playoffs starting next year, with approximately a five year window before we reassess what to do with our veterans and which of our young kids to extend.

If they do it right this could be a good hockey team for well over a decade.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Blackwell on pp1 and not Laf smh
Johnny Brodzinski will get on there before Laf does
The question is why? What does Quinn see, or not see, in Lafreniere that's preventing him from giving him this opportunity?

Is it purely a good old boys thing? "Ya gotta earn it kid!"

Does he just not show enough in practice to be trusted?

Is this a strategic move to suppress the kid's stats and keep him affordable for longer?

Makes absolutely no sense.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
The question is why? What does Quinn see, or not see, in Lafreniere that's preventing him from giving him this opportunity?

Is it purely a good old boys thing? "Ya gotta earn it kid!"

Does he just not show enough in practice to be trusted?

Is this a strategic move to suppress the kid's stats and keep him affordable for longer?

Makes absolutely no sense.
Its been his whole schtick his time here that they gotta "Earn" time despite the fact he uses guys who haven't earned anything

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I think there’s some value in getting the kids some real playoff experience before you dive heads deep into a competitive window.

Id rather just make it this season and lose in six games than be a lottery team again
That's what last season's 3 game ass kicking was. But I'm not against a short playoff run, it's just not now and never really has been a driving goal of this season. Add in the chaos of the Covid schedule, having the toughest division, etc, etc and missing the playoffs shouldn't be a worry.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
And that accelerated the rebuild, so it's not a 5 year plan. You're the exact type who always had everyone saying you can't rebuild in NY. It Takes PATIENCE. Key players for the playoffs are still learning to play in the NHL. And now you throw this Covid chaos on top of everything and have them play a shorter schedule in a tougher division and how is that supposed to make a "playoffs would be nice", into "playoffs are a must".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad