Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXXI - All along the Watch Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Brodzinski , PDG, Blackwell , Rooney... ugh

no offence cause some of those guys are chipping in but it’s a bunch of AHL bubble Guys

cap space next year hopefully ends this pattern
We'll be lucky to get them back...they have been great and I'm sure other clubs have noticed . Couple of these guys might get a 2 year deal elsewhere for next season . Our surplus cap for next season will soon vanish ....don't get your hopes up for a big name 4th line anytime soon . We'll likely have much the same type of guys ....I just hope they work as hard as these guys have for the money .

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

no offence cause some of those guys are chipping in but it’s a bunch of AHL bubble Guys

Can't really avoid this when your 3 best forwards are out for different reasons. What team has 15 NHL caliber forwards in their system?

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
In all honesty...playing some games without Panarin might actually be a good thing for this club right now . Playoffs really do not matter for this year anyways ...versus player development on some kids . This will be a real good test of what we have and they are going to get a chance to play more . Gauthier/Laf will be front and center and KK when he returns . The downside though is that Mika will be tasked more which might not be in his best interest at the moment . If these kids can up their game and show they are ready for more key minutes that is win win for us moving forward .

Reactions: Synergy27

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
With the way this season is shaking down - Tony drama, Chytil injured, Trouba injured, KK in Covid protocol and Panarin taking an LOA - Zib being at 50% due to Covid could be a blessing in disguise. Zib being at 100% might win us a few more games but with everything else that’s going on, the team would likely still struggle. Instead we may get another solid draft pick (even if it becomes a trade chip for an impact move at the draft) and Zib’s price on an extension may come down significantly. Of course, there’s an element of a gamble in locking him up long term, but if he prices himself down to a much more palatable number and the team ends up with an early 1st rounder, those are beneficial going forward in the rebuild.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
In all honesty...playing some games without Panarin might actually be a good thing for this club right now . Playoffs really do not matter for this year anyways ...versus player development on some kids . This will be a real good test of what we have and they are going to get a chance to play more . Gauthier/Laf will be front and center and KK when he returns . The downside though is that Mika will be tasked more which might not be in his best interest at the moment . If these kids can up their game and show they are ready for more key minutes that is win win for us moving forward .

So when do the playoffs matter? Because all I've heard for years now is that they don't matter this year. Once we have to pay all of our kids is that when they matter? Once we have to make a decision on Zibanejad?

Yet again despite all the issues with Tony, the offense, the PP, Zibanejad, the defense the team is...four points out of a playoff spot with 40 games to go. They're right in contention with the Flyers/Penguins etc.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
So when do the playoffs matter? Because all I've heard for years now is that they don't matter this year. Once we have to pay all of our kids is that when they matter? Once we have to make a decision on Zibanejad?

Yet again despite all the issues with Tony, the offense, the PP, Zibanejad, the defense the team is...four points out of a playoff spot with 40 games to go. They're right in contention with the Flyers/Penguins etc.

Personally 21-22 was always my target year to start expecting playoffs, reasoning being that Staal, Smith, and Hank were coming off the books.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Gotta love the timing. Just when the schedule really starts kicking into high gear. 8 games in 2 weeks starting tomorrow.

Down Panarin, Trouba, Chytil, Kakko, DeAngelo for most / all of it. Would be really nice to not have to add "and effectively Zibanejad" to that list. Good times.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Personally 21-22 was always my target year to start expecting playoffs, reasoning being that Staal, Smith, and Hank were coming off the books.

It's a tiresome argument when every year it's "winning doesn't matter this year." They were right in it last year and despite all the issues they have been right there this year (Though obviously the team just took a huge hit). I guarantee it will be the same argument next year if they get off to a slow start.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
It's a tiresome argument when every year it's "winning doesn't matter this year." They were right in it last year and despite all the issues they have been right there this year (Though obviously the team just took a huge hit). I guarantee it will be the same argument next year if they get off to a slow start.

To me, anything prior to my target year I had in my head was a bonus and not any reason to think a corner had been turned.

Winning always matters, but the focus can't be playoffs at all costs. We simply aren't there yet.

Reactions: leetch99

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Rooney has showed himself to be a legit 4C. PDG & Blackwell have certainly played well enough to be looked at bottom- players. I doubt that plan was to have Panarin, Kakko & Chytil all out of the line up at the same time.

Reactions: NYRangers16

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Love the fact that year end year out lately all we hear on this Board is that winning isn't everything and player development is important. Well they go hand in hand. More importantly player development is stunted by injury and having to play with inferior teammates at certain key positions such as center. You want t see KK and Laf develop than put them on a line with a quality linemate in the middle.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I appreciate Quinn playing defensemen based on their performance, not their resume
Seems very out of character. I wonder if that vets statement had some truth to it? Even Quinn’s beer goggles can see Johnson is hot garbage. Hope I didnt Jinx it..:eek:

Reactions: Fitzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia