Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: MOAR sandpaper, guts & glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I believe that since Lindgren and Fox both just turned 23, 3 years is the longest 'bridge' we could give Lindgren without letting him go to UFA.

3 x 2.6 million or
5 x 3.75 million

Would be my estimates for Lindgren. I'm actually inclined to take the bridge on a player who plays a more physically taxing style, whereas when Fox comes up I'd prefer the long term deal.

That's fair, I have reservations due to that as well but wouldn't be opposed to either of those.

Lindgren is a rock steady 3/4 guy playing with one of the best defensemen in the league. Reminds me a bit of Girardi before his body gave out.

Agree. I think his skating is better than G's ever was though.

Reactions: cheech70

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
FAST, PHYSICAL and RELENTLESS!

This is what David Quinn wanted the NY Rangers to be. His vision. It's what he preaches to his young team on the rebuild. It sounds good on paper. Results have not been there. Maybe in the bottom 6 it has. In the top 6, not so much.

Im not giving up on Quinn just yet. I want to see the guy succeed. I want to see him turn it around. I think the Organization will give him some time here. I don't think for one minute that they are as bad as the record suggests.

I think Q2 will start the evening out process.
Q3 they start to find their legs and get some much better contributions from everyone.
Q4 were chipping away at the teams in front of them for a playoff birth.

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
I'm curious who would be a good comp for Lindgren contract wise. I honestly have no idea what to value him AAV wise, but would love to lock him up for 4 or 5 years.
I'd prefer to bridge him, 2 or 3 years. Comps might be Brandon Carlo and Philippe Myers. So maybe 2.4 to 2.8 mil range, depending on length of term.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
FAST, PHYSICAL and RELENTLESS!

This is what David Quinn wanted the NY Rangers to be. His vision. It's what he preaches to his young team on the rebuild. It sounds good on paper. Results have not been there. Maybe in the bottom 6 it has. In the top 6, not so much.

Im not giving up on Quinn just yet. I want to see the guy succeed. I want to see him turn it around. I think the Organization will give him some time here. I don't think for one minute that they are as bad as the record suggests.

I think Q2 will start the evening out process.
Q3 they start to find their legs and get some much better contributions from everyone.
Q4 were chipping away at the teams in front of them for a playoff birth.

A positive take. I like.

A lot can change in a season. You would have to think that Mika and the top line will start scoring goals again, it just cannot continue like this forever. Also the PP. Panarin will come back. At some point Chytil, which should really help solidify the middle.

Could they go on a run? Sure. But this team's leadership seems to be defeated and they are no closer to repairing their rattled response (or lack there of) to adversity. It is becoming (edit HAS become) a habit.

Is that on the coach? Is it on the vets? Are they not mentally tough enough and is that affecting the development of the youth? How does that bode for the future and the idea of building a champion? All valid questions.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Well we are about to see trouba's value. People will wonder why fox's play drops in two weeks after playing 30 mins a night and pking again. Trouba is so underappreciated for the matchup minutes he plays and it's not really a surprise that fox and lindgren were on for the 3rd period goals last night while trouba was out. Maybe the best thing to happen for NYR is to have an outbreak of the mumps and have a couple weeks off at this point...
To that end, how's everyone liking our PP with DeAngelo QBing it?

Reactions: Daves a mess

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
I believe that since Lindgren and Fox both just turned 23, 3 years is the longest 'bridge' we could give Lindgren without letting him go to UFA.

3 x 2.6 million or
5 x 3.75 million

Would be my estimates for Lindgren. I'm actually inclined to take the bridge on a player who plays a more physically taxing style, whereas when Fox comes up I'd prefer the long term deal.
Originally when writing that, I was gonna say $2.5M for Lindgren, but again not a NHL Cap expert, so idk.

So, is Igor at $5M AAV fair? That's what Vegas's Robin Lehner got.

So do these numbers look more realistic.

Buch - $5M AAV
Lindgren - $2.5M-$3.75M AAV
Igor - $5M AAV
Chytil - $2.5M-$3M AAV
Gauthier - in the $1.55M AAV that Lemieux got? Or would he more likely be in the qualifying offer of $874,125?
Howden - Qualifying offer($874,125)
Hajek - Qualifying offer($874,125)
Rykov - Qualifying offer($874,125)

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Originally when writing that, I was gonna say $2.5M for Lindgren, but again not a NHL Cap expert, so idk.

Buch - $5M AAV
Igor - $5M AAV
Chytil - $2.5M-$3M AAV
Gauthier - in the $1.55M AAV that Lemieux got? Or would he more likely be in the qualifying offer of $874,125?

That all looks fair, though Buchnevichs deal will depend a lot on length. Shesty stop, as well as how he finishes out the season

Reactions: JayAB81

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Again, it comes down to how the coach perceives different players and how they respond. Quinn was ripped his first year here by letting Pionk work through his mistakes while keeping Tony on a short leash. Both players went on to develop just fine -- at least in terms of talent.

Quinn may feel that Buch responds better to that treatment than Kreider would. Do I think Kreids deserves a benching? Sure, but I trust the coach with the inside information to make the right call.

I don’t know. Tony and Quinn’s relationship was pretty strained from that point on. ADA went on to have a great year but I think the damage was done then and things just got progressively worse due to ADA being so stubborn. They really haven’t liked each other for a long time.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020

Buch - $5M AAV
Igor - $5M AAV
Chytil - $2.5M-$3M AAV

This would leave the Rangers with $4,737,032 in cap room with Gauthier getting the QO, which could be used in free agency, or we could deal Strome, & his $4.5M, which would give the Rangers $9,237,032, would that be enough for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Or too much? If we can get away without retaining any salary from a DeAngelo trade, we'd be $11,637,032.

As for after next season, with Igor, Buch, Chytil, & Lindgren signed to multi-year deals this coming offseason, plus Nils likely deal, and Panarin, Trouba, Alexis, & K'Andre, along with the dead money, that would put the cap commitments up to $47,712,301, leaving $33,787,699 in cap room on a flat $81.5M cap, with the following free agents.

Mika Zibanejad – UFA
Alexandar Georgiev – RFA
Brendan Lemieux – RFA
Kaapo Kakko – RFA
Adam Fox – RFA
Vitali Kravtsov – RFA
Tarmo Reunanen - RFA
Chris Howden - RFA
Julien Gauthier - RFA
Libor Hajek - RFA
Yegor Rykov - RFA

Braden Schneider could be ready for the 2022-2023 season, which would mean they couol move on from Hajek and/or Rykov.

In 2022-2023 would this roster be good, depending on development?

LW 20 Chris Kreider
LW 10 Artemi Panarin
LW 13 Alexis Lafreniere
LW 48 Brendan Lemieux
C 93 Mike Zibanejad
C 72 Filip Chytil
C 2021 1st-Rounder maybe?
C Free Agent(Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Alexsandar Barkov?)
RW 89 Pavel Buchnevich
RW 24 Kaapo Kakko
RW 74 Vitali Kravtsov
RW 12 Julien Gauthier
LD 79 K'Andre Miller
LD 55 Ryan Lindgren
LD 51 Tarmo Reunanen or Braden Schneider
RD 8 Jacob Trouba
RD 23 Adam Fox
RD 64 Nils Lundkvist
G 31 Igor Shesterkin
G 40 Alexandar Georgiev or 32 Adam Huska or 80 Tyler Wall, or 2020 4th Rounder Dylan Garand

As for the extra skaters, if the above 21 players, with some battles, being on the roster, that leaves 2 spots open, maybe someone like C 47 Morgan Barron, LD 97 Matthew Robertson.

If we don't get someone in FA at C, then could someone like Karl Henrikkson, Oliver Tarnstrom, Adam Edstrom, or Evan Vierling be ready for the NHL squad. Also if no Lemieux, would Will Cuylle or Brett Berard be ready for the 4th LW?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks for not killing me as a new poster, found this site a few months back, love the forum. Hopefully Buch & Shesty keep playing well, I want to keep both, same with Lindgren.

Oh for sure, and haha I've been here years but still post dumb stuff all the time, its not a super critical culture here.

I'm only mean to Machinehead and he deserves it.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Good oportunity to see Miller on the PP. Hopefully they will get more than 20s on the ice.
I think KAM would even be a great fit for PP1 as a LHS on the right-dot. He has a tight and compact slap shot.... Keep feeding him one timers until the opposing PK respects it.

In doing so it will open up the rest of the ice. We have not had a consistent shooting threat on the right wall, all year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad