Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: MOAR sandpaper, guts & glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The defensive structure has made progress under Martin for sure but I think it's exposed that they don't know how to actually play offense without the game being a firewagon.
Or maybe having such young players requires time, patience as they need to learn? Nah...could not be that could it?

They stated poorly last year, then learned and grew. Now that system is out and a better one is in. And they are learning and growing. Which is why this will get better as well.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Again, it comes down to how the coach perceives different players and how they respond. Quinn was ripped his first year here by letting Pionk work through his mistakes while keeping Tony on a short leash. Both players went on to develop just fine -- at least in terms of talent.

Quinn may feel that Buch responds better to that treatment than Kreider would. Do I think Kreids deserves a benching? Sure, but I trust the coach with the inside information to make the right call.
And that may well be. A different approach may be dictated to how someone responds.

Reactions: Trxjw

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It's a double edged sword. Those percentages are indicative of our system. No, not all of the shots are low%, but it's a staggering high number if I had to guess.

If EVERYONE in the top6 is having an abysmally low shot%, something is wrong.... and it's not the individual. It's not isolated to an individual or two. It's team wide and it's apart of a bigger problem

We're a perimeter team that pads the shots from low% angles. Some of our analytics may look good but it's smoke and mirrors IMO
That is not an analytic. Those are almost laughably poor percentages. So that would also be an indicator of that poor puck luck theory.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers are on track for another top pick in the draft. 11 points at the 1/4 pole of the season.

The team looks awful. Panarin was brilliant last season and he covered up the flaws. Mika was terrific last season.

19. At some point in the next few weeks, expect the NHL and the NHLPA to discuss draft options. I’m all for two drafts over a seven-day span in Montreal during June 2022. Lots of time to make up at Stogie’s. But I do think there’s going to have to be some kind of option (one round?) this summer. Don’t think you can prevent the top prospects from the opportunity to play next fall.

31 Thoughts: Tavares, Gagner blazing a trail in minor hockey involvement

There will be under-18 WJC held in Plano, Texas in April.

Invite all of the prospects to play in the draft camp/scouting combine scrimmages/games. The NFL has the Senior Bowl and the NBA has various scouting combines. I read MLB is considering holding a showcase tournament for the top players in the 2021 draft. The NHL scouts want the NHL to do something similar.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Again, it comes down to how the coach perceives different players and how they respond. Quinn was ripped his first year here by letting Pionk work through his mistakes while keeping Tony on a short leash. Both players went on to develop just fine -- at least in terms of talent.

Quinn may feel that Buch responds better to that treatment than Kreider would. Do I think Kreids deserves a benching? Sure, but I trust the coach with the inside information to make the right call.
I can buy that, but how would he know how Kreider responds to benching if it's never happened?

Reactions: leetch99

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I can buy that, but how would he know how Kreider responds to benching if it's never happened?

I mean it's not any different than any other human interaction. You get a feel for the way some people respond to particular treatment. Comes down to their personality and their current situation. I don't want to speculate on what Kreider's current situation is, but I have to trust that Quinn knows what buttons to press with players at this point in his tenure.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I mean it's not any different than any other human interaction. You get a feel for the way some people respond to particular treatment. Comes down to their personality and their current situation. I don't want to speculate on what Kreider's current situation is, but I have to trust that Quinn knows what buttons to press with players at this point in his tenure.

The eject button?

I am kidding, yet I think Quinn should probably start playing those who are leaving it all out there the best they can. If that means Blackwell, DGP, Rooney, etc get more ice time than the more expensive vets, that is sort of where I think he should go with it.

Last night end of game when Rooney would take the face-off then go off so Strome could come on, first couple times Quinn did that Strome did nothing good, so after he just left Rooney out there. I think that is sort of an example of what Quinn needs to do with Kreider, Zbad too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
These injuries are going to be the excuse that keeps Quinn isn’t it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
he was never getting fired mid-season anyway. not sure why that is so hard for people to grasp
It’s so hard to grasp because he has gotten worse and shouldn’t have a free pass. How much more do people need to see?

Reactions: leetch99

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
The Rangers are on track for another top pick in the draft. 11 points at the 1/4 pole of the season.

The team looks awful. Panarin was brilliant last season and he covered up the flaws. Mika was terrific last season.

31 Thoughts: Tavares, Gagner blazing a trail in minor hockey involvement

There will be under-18 WJC held in Plano, Texas in April.

Invite all of the prospects to play in the draft camp/scouting combine scrimmages/games. The NFL has the Senior Bowl and the NBA has various scouting combines. I read MLB is considering holding a showcase tournament for the top players in the 2021 draft. The NHL scouts want the NHL to do something similar.

Welcome back! A pick to play center is a must!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Or maybe having such young players requires time, patience as they need to learn? Nah...could not be that could it?

They stated poorly last year, then learned and grew. Now that system is out and a better one is in. And they are learning and growing. Which is why this will get better as well.
the worst offenders of the "system" we're trying to pull off are exclusively the veterans.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
It’s so hard to grasp because he has gotten worse and shouldn’t have a free pass. How much more do people need to see?

So who is replacing Quinn and what exactly are the expectations going to be with whoever that is? C'mon, look at the state of this roster.
If anything this is the kind of season to reassess some of the current vets and see what they could bring back via trade.
#bustforbeniers

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

he hasn't gotten worse. our top players just all stopped scoring. so the results have gotten worse. if going into the season i told you that we'd get virtually nothing from zibanejad, kreider, buchnevich, strome, deangelo plus panarin, trouba and chytil are hurt. what kind of record would you expect to have?

not saying that DQ doesn't have his flaws but the narrative that we are losing because of him is moronic. the fact that mika has a shooting % under 4 isn't coaching

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So who is replacing Quinn and what exactly are the expectations going to be with whoever that is? C'mon, look at the state of this roster.
If anything this is the kind of season to reassess some of the current vets and see what they could bring back via trade.
#bustforbeniers
Put Martin back there for a season. Find a guy. Quinn was a mediocre NCAA coach who didn’t want to be here in the first place. He’s over his head and by virtue of being one of the worst coaches in the league, should be replaceable. Hell call Knoblauch up.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
he hasn't gotten worse. our top players just all stopped scoring. so the results have gotten worse. if going into the season i told you that we'd get virtually nothing from zibanejad, kreider, buchnevich, strome, deangelo plus panarin, trouba and chytil are hurt. what kind of record would you expect to have?

not saying that DQ doesn't have his flaws but the narrative that we are losing because of him is moronic. the fact that mika has a shooting % under 4 isn't coaching
The fact that there is no offensive plan when Mika isn’t scoring is the problem. And yes that is coaching.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

At some point he needs to start thinking about the impact (of not acting) on other players, not only Kreider. I mean we’re talking about not even scratching, but having absolutely any response to subpar play of ANY kind. And is it about Kreider and the team per se, or being afraid of doing something to player whom the MANAGEMENT just signed to a long and expensive contract?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You can point to a number of issues, but I think you have to pull the trigger at some point. I empathize with the players, it's a tough spot. Seen it in other organizations in different industries where there's a competitive disadvantage. So I understand, it's not a tier 1 situation.

The waiting game doesn't bother me personally cause....

...as a fanatic you root for wins, and if those wins need to come through draft kings, I'm good with it. It's all about winning baby. All about winning.

It's about finding a way to win, even if it's on draft kings. Those live in game bets are an absolute game changer.

Totally encourage everyone to get in on it if you haven't. Like seriously you know when they're getting beat. The post count on the game thread is a great indicator.

So yeah if you wanna wait till the end of the year, I'm totally good with it.

Reactions: TheBPA

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
fox has gotten more and more difficult minutes than trouba every game
that is not the point, dumping ALL of them on one guy generally causes their level to decline, especially type for a sophmore pro. I think it is too easy to forget how young in his professional career he is bc he is so good, but there are very few niedermayer types with slight builds that can eat 30+ regularly.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Let me ask you this way: AT THIS POINT should the Quinn do nothing and continue to roll with the flow continuing to develop youngsters and having injuries and Covid explanation to stay the course elsewhere?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
4F967878-DDE2-4703-9AD6-B99B896A32AB.jpeg

I keep trying but it ain't working fellas!!!!

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
At some point he needs to start thinking about the impact (of not acting) on other players, not only Kreider. I mean we’re talking about not even scratching, but having absolutely any response to subpar play of ANY kind. And is it about Kreider and the team per se, or being afraid of doing something to player whom the MANAGEMENT just signed to a long and expensive contract?
Yeah, well said. There is no fear of consequence for a certain tier of player. All the benching and health bombs are used exclusively on the lower end guys. Maybe it's a coincidence that the upper tier is playing some pretty ineffective hockey, maybe not. Maybe they should find out.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
it is a shame that the team can't beat up the coaches and management for some of the roster decisions and coaching decisions. :sarcasm::help::huh::laugh:

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
I'm so happy that I get to see Brendan Smith play every game for the next 4-6 weeks. And on the right side too, oh joy. Maybe if we're super lucky, we'll finally get to see the Johnson-Smith pair we've all dreamed about. What a time to be alive.

Reactions: JayAB81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad