Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: MOAR sandpaper, guts & glory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If lafreniere was doing what he should be doing I’d feel a whole lot better about this rebuild. But to see kakko struggle so badly last year and now see lafreniere a far superior prospect do the same thing? There’s something wrong.
Ok Lafreniere is not repeating Kakko’s rookie season. Kakko last year looked like he was playing the wrong sport.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
This division is really nuts. I mean there's Boston, Pittsburgh, Washington. All perennial contenders. There's Philly right there knocking on the door. The Islanders with their system and discipline. We have the youngest team in the league, and it's not the youngsters disappointing it's the veterans. I don't know how much is coaching and how much is just the reality of the fact that this schedule is a son of a bitch and that's just the way it is. I don't think you blow up anything. I don't think you make drastic moves. I'm not sure Quinn is the right guy going forward because IMO, if we are going to go out and take a beating, get the young guys as much ice time as you can so they can make their mistakes and learn from them. The benchings of young guys for errors must stop, kids make mistakes. Bench vets who should know better. There is accountability but you cannot scare a young roster into being too tentative to play. I would love to see them make the playoffs but who do you see falling apart out of the expected teams coming out of this division? You gotta think long game here, and if they walk out of this shit show of a season with Owen Power or Aatu Raty, I can think of worse things.

Mika has kind of fallen off the cliff this year and that has thrown the proverbial monkey wrench into our start. Keeping in mind that last year he was by far our most important all situations forward. This has pretty much undermined our entire situation.

At the same time there is always pressure on the coaching staff to win as well as the center position with subpar play from Strome and the injury to Chytil has turned into our biggest weakness. That's a bad weakness to have. Hardly surprising though that a coach who's team is struggling leans more on his veterans. Players can be funny too. Some don't always respond well to more ice time. It's not that clear to me how much of the bad start is really on Quinn and my guess anyway were he to be fired is that his replacement would be much more likely to come from within--most likely be Martin....but as for someone like Gallant if anything I think he would lean even more heavily on his vets.

Reactions: haveandare

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Ok Lafreniere is not repeating Kakko’s rookie season. Kakko last year looked like he was playing the wrong sport.

Player Cards.png
Player Cards (1).png

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
@Ola Yes, accountability is important, but how do we judge that? McDavid was let free for instance. Crosby too. Both played on the first line pretty fast. Quinn is trying to play our rookies on the 3rd line... this happened with Kakko last year... and with Laf this year. You can’t get stats without ice time. Is this the best approach or not? I dunno.

It does suggest a conflict of approaches. We have vets who are here already. We also have (still) one of the best prospect pools in the league.

To me, we are seeing the results of this. No amazing rookie stats, a dependence on vets currently on the roster. Have we ever seen a veteran led rebuild?
Neither of these guys are or were ever going to be McDavid and Crosby. That’s just the fact of the situation. They’re arguably the two best towards of their generations.

Laf has been getting more ice time than his play calls for imo, which is fine because he needs to get reps at this level to be able to start producing. But he’s getting good minutes. I think he led the team in 5v5 time for forwards last game - against a depleted devils team with their backup goalie - and had no points. It sucks but it’s not that he’s not getting chances

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Neither of these guys are or were ever going to be McDavid and Crosby. That’s just the fact of the situation. They’re arguably the two best towards of their generations.

Laf has been getting more ice time than his play calls for imo, which is fine because he needs to get reps at this level to be able to start producing. But he’s getting good minutes. I think he led the team in 5v5 time for forwards last game - against a depleted devils team with their backup goalie - and had no points. It sucks but it’s not that he’s not getting chances
He needs to shoot more. But even with the relatively low amount of shot attempts 1 goal is still kind of ridiculous.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
i bet the Rangers really miss Kevin Hayes right now. im also shocked they are not trying to mold Morgan Barron into a center.
Hayes is not worth that contract. It's year one. Tell me how much you miss him in year 4 on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->