Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Didn't anyone catch Sam and Joe pumping Eichel's tires and "speculating" if Buffalo would move him - "his NMC kicks in 2022 - think they'd trade him before that? "An outstanding player... He'd be quite a LEADER for this team if he is healthy"? They spent a minute going on about Eichel and how great he is.

I heard Vally talk about Reinhart in the pre-game and suggest that he's the player the Rangers should target.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Didn't anyone catch Sam and Joe pumping Eichel's tires and "speculating" if Buffalo would move him - "his NMC kicks in 2022 - think they'd trade him before that? "An outstanding player... He'd be quite a LEADER for this team if he is healthy"? They spent a minute going on about Eichel and how great he is.
Yes caught that as well but Sam was referring to the Sabres when he said "he'd be quite a leader." But the sentiment seemed like he could have been talking about either. They usually don't spurt their mouths off about things like this though if there isn't something to it...

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Yes caught that as well but Sam was referring to the Sabres when he said "he'd be quite a leader." But the sentiment seemed like he could have been talking about either. They usually don't spurt their mouths off about things like this though if there isn't something to it...

That's what I was thinking. They are company men and I remember how they pumped Quinn's tires when he was out on covid protocol and the team went on a minirun under Knoblauch.

JayAB81

Oct 18, 2020
Honestly, I think we're good on the left side.

Lindgren isn't a sexy player but he compliments just about every RHD we have well.

Miller is already doing what you are saying and is already playing 2nd pair minutes and PP and PK time, and despite his warts, is doing well all things considered.

Then you have your pick of Smith, Jones, Hajek, Reunanen, and Robertson for that last spot. Three of those five will not (or should not be) on the team next year.

I'm ok with Smith for another year under a million to be the 7th defenseman. The third spot should go to whoever earns it out of Hajek, Reunanen, or Robertson. All of them could conceivably earn it.

I'm much more worried still about the depth on the right side. Trouba being out exposed the inexperience of the group as a whole. I agree with @bobbop that some veteran insurance be brought in, but I'd do it for the right side.

Say Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist are your right side next year. There's Schneider, Skinner, and who else after that?
Who has been playing RD with Trouba out? Brendan Smith? Can Hajek play on the Right side?

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I like Reinhart as well, but hes been a winger primarily the last few years.

Hes more of what Strome is, but from the RW.

We are set on wing, IMHO
Yeah, this is a good point. If they do view him as a full-time center, I do think it could be interesting to explore as a long-term option depending on how they handle the Mika/Strome situations. The only issue is that I think he'd be more of an upgrade on Strome than a potential long-term replacement option for Zibanejad. Maybe ancillary moves could bolster the depth behind him, but I don't think it'll be the best option going forward.

I think the easiest solution going forward is to invest in Chytil and let him grow into one of those top-6 spots. The kid is getting better and better each game.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Yup. The timing is just awful. We really need another year, because if we move Buch and then Kakko/Kravtsov never develop a top 6 offensive game, we're going to be kicking ourselves. If we re-sign Buch and Kakko/Krav DO blow up the the stat charts, we'll likely run into a cap crunch. Either way, we're gambling.

Buch is a very nice player but like Kreider if he’s your top winger then you probably aren’t winning a lot of championships. He’d be in the mold of the 2014 Rangers who had plenty of second-line scoring depth.

Yes Buch’s numbers place him in the first line category blah blah blah, but spare me, he is not an elite player. He’s a very good complimentary piece.

I’d love to keep him but I’m also not gonna hitch my wagon to him. He either fits into our long term vision with a salary situation that fits as well or he’s trade bait. And frankly that’s gonna have to mean no NTC/NMC, or at least one that’s extremely favorable to us.

Bottom line either Kakko and Lafreniere turn into studs, in which case what we’ve done with Buch is of secondary importance, or they don’t, in which case what we’ve done with Buch is of secondary importance.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Buch is a very nice player but like Kreider if he’s your top winger then you probably aren’t winning a lot of championships. He’d be in the mold of the 2014 Rangers who had plenty of second-line scoring depth.

Yes Buch’s numbers place him in the first line category blah blah blah, but spare me, he is not an elite player. He’s a very good complimentary piece.

I’d love to keep him but I’m also not gonna hitch my wagon to him. He either fits into our long term vision with a salary situation that fits as well or he’s trade bait. And frankly that’s gonna have to mean no NTC/NMC, or at least one that’s extremely favorable to us.

Before this season, that was my exact take on it, and it hurt to look at it that way, as Buch is a personal favorite. The addition of "high end pk forward" to his resume this season makes the decision decidedly more difficult, however. I really wish we had another year before having to make the decision.

Reactions: egelband

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
Who has been playing RD with Trouba out? Brendan Smith? Can Hajek play on the Right side?
He's played there a lot of this season but I don't see him playing there for now. Miller - Smith have pretty much become our third pairing now. Maybe you can try Smith - Fox and hope that Miller - Hajek maybe has some more natural chemistry but with those two being in your top six it's just impossible to get three decent pairs out there.

Reactions: JayAB81

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Before this season, that was my exact take on it, and it hurt to look at it that way, as Buch is a personal favorite. The addition of "high end pk forward" to his resume this season makes the decision decidedly more difficult, however. I really wish we had another year before having to make the decision.

I agree. His PK talent really increased his value and i'm certain the front office would agree. I really feel like they are gonna try and make it work with him, he's been THAT good on the PK

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
This year’s Ranger team has the same amount of 40 point scorers as the 2013-14 team. The leading scorer has played less that half a full season, and the rest of the guys have 40 points in about 60% of the games played by the 13-14 team. This team also has two top two draft picks who are not in that group, another top ten guy who looks great, and a potential Norris Trophy winner.

And they’re not going to make the playoffs.

Reactions: UnSandvich

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This year’s Ranger team has the same amount of 40 point scorers as the 2013-14 team. The leading scorer has played less that half a full season, and the rest of the guys have 40 points in about 60% of the games played by the 13-14 team. This team also has two top two draft picks who are not in that group, another top ten guy who looks great, and a potential Norris Trophy winner.

And they’re not going to make the playoffs.

It’s really remarkable how many players are having good individual seasons and yet this isn’t a playoff team.

Reactions: PuckLuck3043

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It’s really remarkable how many players are having good individual seasons and yet this isn’t a playoff team.

Careful, you just made the bat signal flicker lol.

On the plus side, this should carry over to next year. The roster isn't where I'd like it to be, but the tougher roles to fill have already been filled. Theres a force brewing here and with a few of the right tweaks this summer and the proper guidance, we may see it come to life as early as next season.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Here's a crazy idea. If Trouba is back before the end of this season, go with

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Smith-Jones

Jones is improving every game. He made it here before Robertson or Schneider and is more high end than Tarmo.

Would it be nuts to start next season with:

Miller-Lundkvist
Lindgren-Fox
Jones-Trouba

7th: Hjarmolson/Coburn/Jordie Benn..unless Chara wants to come in.

Robertson/Scheider/Tarmo play big minutes in Hartford.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Smith-Jones

Jones is improving every game. He made it here before Robertson or Schneider and is more high end than Tarmo.

Miller-Lundkvist
Lindgren-Fox
Jones-Trouba

I think Miller--Lundkvist could be a legit (and amazing) pairing one day. I don't think that day is coming in the next year or two. Both players would benefit/develop better playing with a veteran partner, IMO.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Kravstsov played LW in the KHL at times. I saw him there long term before the lottery win, even if we signed/traded for a 1-2yr stopgap

Maybe so, but at the time they re-signed Kreider, Kravtsov was looking more like a potential bust than a potential top line winger. He had the issues in Hartford, gone back home, and then got demoted from his KHL team. His value/projection was literally at its lowest point ever when the team signed Kreider. In retrospect, that signing was the wrong move, but given the circumstances when they re-signed him, you make that move every single time. The fact that the main thing making Kreider's contract a "bad deal" is that we won the draft lottery and our sinking prospect rebounded back to form is, oddly enough, a good thing.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

Miller-Trouba
Lindgren-Fox
Smith-Jones

Miller-Lundkvist
Lindgren-Fox
Jones-Trouba

I see why not. as for Tarmo I think he has no future here and he should be packaged in a trade.

UFA Dman I like is Hakanpaa, but why would he sign here to be 7th Dman.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Me too. Buch has really taken his game to a new level this year. He’s very decisive. Making things happen. His finishing has actually been kind of meh. But he is a factor more than he ever has been. I still worry he’s not affordable long term but no reason not to keep him on a two year deal.

Reactions: White Death 24

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe so, but at the time they re-signed Kreider, Kravtsov was looking more like a potential bust than a potential top line winger. He had the issues in Hartford, gone back home, and then got demoted from his KHL team. His value/projection was literally at its lowest point ever when the team signed Kreider. In retrospect, that signing was the wrong move, but given the circumstances when they re-signed him, you make that move every single time. The fact that the main thing making Kreider's contract a "bad deal" is that we won the draft lottery and our sinking prospect rebounded back to form is, oddly enough, a good thing.
Yep. And had there been no Covid flat cap $6.5m is not a crazy contract. It’s digestible. Even with the flat cap I imagine it doesn’t limit us too much.

Reactions: Blueshirts777

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
This literally doesn't add anything to the conversation, but I couldn't sleep and I just can't stop thinking about this based on several conversations on this site today.

We have:
Miller - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Jones - Lundkvist
Robertson - Scheider
Reunanen - Hajek

ALL (except for Trouba) under the age of 24. Nine defensive prospects--5 of whom have already made the NHL roster--most of whom have top 4 upside.

I do a lot of archival literary research at the Folger Shakespeare Library for my job. The reading room is like a museum, and has beautiful, priceless artwork literally on every wall. When you're in there for a few days in a row, you almost forget that it's there, and then there will be a moment where you just look up and take it all in again, and can't believe that you are sitting in a place surrounded by such paintings.

This roster is like that. Think about this--all nine of these guys, 15 years ago, would have been our top defensive prospect, and now the team is so deep in D prospects that it's likely that 3 or 4 of these guys will never make it with the Rangers. That's just ridiculous (in a good way).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
This literally doesn't add anything to the conversation, but I couldn't sleep and I just can't stop thinking about this based on several conversations on this site today.

We have:
Miller - Trouba
Lindgren - Fox
Jones - Lundkvist
Robertson - Scheider
Reunanen - Hajek

ALL (except for Trouba) under the age of 24. Nine defensive prospects--5 of whom have already made the NHL roster--most of whom have top 4 upside.

I do a lot of archival literary research at the Folger Shakespeare Library for my job. The reading room is like a museum, and has beautiful, priceless artwork literally on every wall. When you're in there for a few days in a row, you almost forget that it's there, and then there will be a moment where you just look up and take it all in again, and can't believe that you are sitting in a place surrounded by such paintings.

This roster is like that. Think about this--all nine of these guys, 15 years ago, would have been our top defensive prospect, and now the team is so deep in D prospects that it's likely that 3 or 4 of these guys will never make it with the Rangers. That's just ridiculous (in a good way).

Amen, so many kids doing ridiculously good (of course with all thinkable caveats on how there are no guarantees etc). I love Jones’ skill set for example. These are good players. Henriksson. Berard. Robertson. Schneider. Palju. And many others.

One observation I make is that we must find ways to translate this into durable success on the ice.

The challenge Gorton faces here is that even if we can acquire good players with the amount of assets we have, it won’t be easy to improve significantly on the ice while fitting everything in under a stagnant/flat Cap. We are definitely entering like “Toronto territory” in a hurry where the limiting factor is cap space and not access to players/kids/assets.

Reactions: TheDirtyH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad