Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
They might be looking to do that, I would not be supportive of them doing so.

They have Miller, next season he might take some sort of developmental step where he is getting 2nd pair minutes and also special teams time, or he is playing behind an imported vet LD, that is their choice.

I tend to think screw it play the kid’s but I do see why some say they need a stable vet

Reactions: Off Sides

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Larry is on the right track. This team needs a Keith Hernandez or Gary Carter. The parallels are there.

I think face offs or sandpaper are more important than a regular vet DMan. See if Hjarmolson or Martinez will take a one year mentor deal. I hate Bogosian but he's another guy I'd put in that category.

If this team turns out anything like the New York Mets I'm becoming a Seattle fan.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
SAndpapaer and necessary VET presence will be acquired. Both to deepen the roster and divesify it a bit. Be it in the offseason or at the next TDL. Its all about metrics. No worries really. Just stay the course,be patient and makethe right deals. A frenzy of desperation amongst cap strapped teams will present plenty of opportunities in the future! 35 yo singlemaltis brutralstuff...

Having fun BBK?

Reactions: BBKers

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If this team turns out anything like the New York Mets I'm becoming a Seattle fan.

What does that even mean? Are you referring to the recent Mets under the Wilpons, the 1986 hard partying Mets? Are you a Yankees fan who hates anything and everything Mets? The Yankees-Mets rivalry is historically mostly fabricated. Other than a billboard here or there, the teams had nothing to do with each other until 1997.

So here's a little history: the Mets went into full rebuild around 1981 and spend the next 2-3 years accumulating assets and letting young players develop. They brought in a disgruntled All Star vet in Keith Hernandez who couldn't get a long with Whitey Herzog, a subtle vet signing in Ray Knight, and then made a big splash for a superstar in Gary Carter.

The point is they let a bunch of young players develop together, and brought in the final vet pieces. You can argue all kinds of things like George Foster didn't work out or they should have won 2-3 more titles, but this formula ultimately proved successful.

Reactions: egelband

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
What does that even mean? Are you referring to the recent Mets under the Wilpons, the 1986 hard partying Mets? Are you a Yankees fan who hates anything and everything Mets? The Yankees-Mets rivalry is historically mostly fabricated. Other than a billboard here or there, the teams had nothing to do with each other until 1997.

So here's a little history: the Mets went into full rebuild around 1981 and spend the next 2-3 years accumulating assets and letting young players develop. They brought in a disgruntled All Star vet in Keith Hernandez who couldn't get a long with Whitey Herzog, a subtle vet signing in Ray Knight, and then made a big splash for a superstar in Gary Carter.

The point is they let a bunch of young players develop together, and brought in the final vet pieces. You can argue all kinds of things like George Foster didn't work out or they should have won 2-3 more titles, but this formula ultimately proved successful.

It was a Mets Yankees joke brah. Definitely just f*ckin' around.

LannyMcdonald

Feb 4, 2011
Toronto
Larry is on the right track. This team needs a Keith Hernandez or Gary Carter. The parallels are there.

I think face offs or sandpaper are more important than a regular vet DMan. See if Hjarmolson or Martinez will take a one year mentor deal. I hate Bogosian but he's another guy I'd put in that category.
I'd love to have a Daryl.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
the Bobby Holik/Joel Otto matchup nightmare role

This is exactly the kind of player this team needs. A veteran middle six center whose a real pain to play against. Not only can they take big draws, they can match up against top lines. PK, and become leaders especially in the playoffs.

Though I am convinced almost anyone can become sufficient at faceoffs. It just takes commitment to learning the tricks. And then when taking faceoffs -- you must bear down, get under your opponent, tie them up and battle harder on 50/50's when the puck is just sitting there in a pile of limbs. I don't understand why there hasn't been a greater improvement, some additional training brought in. You can tell they don't work on it that much because you don't see any changes in technique. It's usually just one swipe, two swipes maybe, done.

Off subject, but I was very impressed with how much growth there was in Zac Jones' second game. He was moving around with a lot more authority and aggressiveness. And everything he did was faster than game 1. I think its a real bright sign to see how much he was able to improve from game 1 to game 2. And he's not even scratching the surface yet.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Man those early season games where we lost leads to Pittsburgh seem huge now. Bread going on a break really hurt too. Proud of the group though. Going forward, I don't know if there's alot to do. I would bring Smith back at a 1.5×2 deal if he takes it, if not he should go get paid. I want to see the group go through a real offseason and training camp and see who rises to the top. At that point maybe you do a three for one deal to bring in one next level player. Otherwise there is alot to like about this core. They can't wait too long though. 11 ELCs will expire and want raises soon enough.
I’d definitely bring back Smith but he might want and be able to get more. Maybe even from us. On a short term deal we could probably give him a little more. Maybe a 2/5 or 1/3.5 kind of thing. Lots of other moving parts of course.

edit: probably a little high on those deals. Maybe more like 2/4 or 1/2.5.

Last edited:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I would like to see Smith back next year as a 6/7 guy. He adds some bite and by all accounts is a good teammate. I think the posters that don’t like him now wouldn’t have as much of an issue if he was paid according to his actual role.

Agreed. He's kind of the perfect option at the right price. If Jones or Lundkvist need some time in the AHL, Smith can cover either one. And once the kids acclimate and can play regular shifts at the NHL level, Smith still has value as a 7th D/13th F hybrid.

He also has more playoff experience (42 games, incl 15 with the Rangers) than anyone else in our D group (Trouba and Johnson each have 30 games). If he re-signs cheap enough (and his comments after the trade deadline make me think that is likely), it's always nice to have a voice in the room that actually knows what playoff hockey feels like.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Agreed. He's kind of the perfect option at the right price. If Jones or Lundkvist need some time in the AHL, Smith can cover either one. And once the kids acclimate and can play regular shifts at the NHL level, Smith still has value as a 7th D/13th F hybrid.

He also has more playoff experience (42 games, incl 15 with the Rangers) than anyone else in our D group (Trouba and Johnson each have 30 games). If he re-signs cheap enough (and his comments after the trade deadline make me think that is likely), it's always nice to have a voice in the room that actually knows what playoff hockey feels like.
Best case scenario is one of Robertson or Jones takes major steps this offseason and same thing on the right with Lundkvist and Schneider. That way they can stick the other 2 in Hartford getting heavy minutes and sign a veteran on the back end for insurance. Whether it’s smith or someone else. If all these kids look ready things are going to get murky

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Smith will get a contract from someone - he gets a lot of consternation around here for what he is relative to his salary, but he's a perfect guy for nearly any team at the right $.
I suspect he’s our 7D next year and I guess Bitetto is 8 since he’s under contract (right?).

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Honestly, I think we're good on the left side.

Lindgren isn't a sexy player but he compliments just about every RHD we have well.

Miller is already doing what you are saying and is already playing 2nd pair minutes and PP and PK time, and despite his warts, is doing well all things considered.

Then you have your pick of Smith, Jones, Hajek, Reunanen, and Robertson for that last spot. Three of those five will not (or should not be) on the team next year.

I'm ok with Smith for another year under a million to be the 7th defenseman. The third spot should go to whoever earns it out of Hajek, Reunanen, or Robertson. All of them could conceivably earn it.

I'm much more worried still about the depth on the right side. Trouba being out exposed the inexperience of the group as a whole. I agree with @bobbop that some veteran insurance be brought in, but I'd do it for the right side.

Say Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist are your right side next year. There's Schneider, Skinner, and who else after that?
Good point. Though Smith has plenty of experience on the right side too. Maybe they get a durable type AAAA guy for Hartford. No one springs to mind but I’m sure there are some vets with NHL experience out there willing to do that.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Since the KHL postseason won't conclude until Monday, Rykov couldn't complete his quarantine until at least our 5/6 or 5/8 games against Boston. It seems very unlikely that we'll get a look at him this season with the big squad unless we can make the playoffs.

The AHL regular season concludes on 5/16, but I don't know how stoked Yegor would be to go from competing for the Gagarin Cup to competing for the Calder Cup. RFA after this season.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Since the KHL postseason won't conclude until Monday, Rykov couldn't complete his quarantine until at least our 5/6 or 5/8 games against Boston. It seems very unlikely that we'll get a look at him this season with the big squad unless we can make the playoffs.

The AHL regular season concludes on 5/16, but I don't know how stoked Yegor would be to go from competing for the Gagarin Cup to competing for the Calder Cup. RFA after this season.
I imagine the Good Ship Rykov has sailed from Port Rangers. I’d love him to get/take another shot but I think his window was last year and maybe this year. The injury pretty much shut that.

Reactions: McSauer

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lafreniere Zibs Buch
Panarin Toews Kravtsov
Kreider Chytil Kakko
Howden Barron Blackwell

Lindgren Fox
Miller Trouba
Lindholm Lundkvist

I honestly dont know how we can incorporate more 'grit' into the lineup without massive changes

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
to put things in perspective and compare stats and icetime Howden does not look so bad when compared to 2nd overall picked Nolan Patrick. Maybe we can get some pick for him if Krakek doesn't take him or he is protected?

Also no team was willing to give up a 7th round pick for a DiGiuseppe rental?

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Have there been any reports about what Buchnevich's ask is for his next contract? I'm so torn on him. I love him as a player, he's great in the room (clearly loved by his teammates), and he's close with both Panarin and Shesterkin, but can the team afford to have three top 6 wingers on both sides? The only way I could see that working would be if Zibanejad either signed at a BARGAIN or was moved at the deadline next year (I still think, with the way the team has been constructed, the best chance to be a contender is to find bargain centers who "fit" with all of our star wingers the same way that Michael Nylander fit with Straka and Jagr. Otherwise, we won't be able to afford all of these high end wingers and defensemen).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad