Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Man those early season games where we lost leads to Pittsburgh seem huge now. Bread going on a break really hurt too. Proud of the group though. Going forward, I don't know if there's alot to do. I would bring Smith back at a 1.5×2 deal if he takes it, if not he should go get paid. I want to see the group go through a real offseason and training camp and see who rises to the top. At that point maybe you do a three for one deal to bring in one next level player. Otherwise there is alot to like about this core. They can't wait too long though. 11 ELCs will expire and want raises soon enough.

Reactions: egelband

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
Man those early season games where we lost leads to Pittsburgh seem huge now. Bread going on a break really hurt too. Proud of the group though. Going forward, I don't know if there's alot to do. I would bring Smith back at a 1.5×2 deal if he takes it, if not he should go get paid. I want to see the group go through a real offseason and training camp and see who rises to the top. At that point maybe you do a three for one deal to bring in one next level player. Otherwise there is alot to like about this core. They can't wait too long though. 11 ELCs will expire and want raises soon enough.

who the f*** is gonna pay for smith lmfao

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Well...since I just posted in the last one , it likely will be closed LOL, so here is a copy..

I don't care about the top 9...it should be able to align itself . Buch moved and Strome moved ...the new fourth line should go like this Barron-Czikas-Brett Ritchie and another option is Barron-Howden on steriods-Geerston ? /Ritchie . Either way....we need some snarl and a prick in that 3rd line C spot as well . Plain and simple...we have to add 3 guys that are always willing to take a stand . That's line that is definitely more improved for our club more so goon option one. We would not need Czikas if Howden looked at himself in the mirror and looked into his future and changed his ways .​

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

I would like to see Smith back next year as a 6/7 guy. He adds some bite and by all accounts is a good teammate. I think the posters that don’t like him now wouldn’t have as much of an issue if he was paid according to his actual role.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I would like to see Smith back next year as a 6/7 guy. He adds some bite and by all accounts is a good teammate. I think the posters that don’t like him now wouldn’t have as much of an issue if he was paid according to his actual role.
If he's willing to accept the role as a Swiss Army Knife 21st player who can fill in at both D and F for a 1-2 year deal at around 1.0-1.5MM AAV, by all means.

But if he's looking for regular playing time, they should let him walk.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
that would a fine deal but I do wonder If they go shopping who’s a ufa LD they can sign short term ?
Martinez etc
They might be looking to do that, I would not be supportive of them doing so.

They have Miller, next season he might take some sort of developmental step where he is getting 2nd pair minutes and also special teams time, or he is playing behind an imported vet LD, that is their choice.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
They might be looking to do that, I would not be supportive of them doing so.

They have Miller, next season he might take some sort of developmental step where he is getting 2nd pair minutes and also special teams time, or he is playing behind an imported vet LD, that is their choice.
Honestly, I think we're good on the left side.

Lindgren isn't a sexy player but he compliments just about every RHD we have well.

Miller is already doing what you are saying and is already playing 2nd pair minutes and PP and PK time, and despite his warts, is doing well all things considered.

Then you have your pick of Smith, Jones, Hajek, Reunanen, and Robertson for that last spot. Three of those five will not (or should not be) on the team next year.

I'm ok with Smith for another year under a million to be the 7th defenseman. The third spot should go to whoever earns it out of Hajek, Reunanen, or Robertson. All of them could conceivably earn it.

I'm much more worried still about the depth on the right side. Trouba being out exposed the inexperience of the group as a whole. I agree with @bobbop that some veteran insurance be brought in, but I'd do it for the right side.

Say Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist are your right side next year. There's Schneider, Skinner, and who else after that?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Stylistically, I'd rather keep Mika over Strome. I'd rather have Panarin play with a bull.

I also think Mika is a big game player. I've seen him excel in the playoffs before. His 5v5 xG is meh but he's noticeable and extremely opportunistic. He's never played with elite playmakers... Hopefully that Laf Mika bond grows.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he's willing to accept the role as a Swiss Army Knife 21st player who can fill in at both D and F for a 1-2 year deal at around 1.0-1.5MM AAV, by all means.

But if he's looking for regular playing time, they should let him walk.
I think he gets a 2 year deal as a third pairing guy from someone.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Honestly, I think we're good on the left side.

Lindgren isn't a sexy player but he compliments just about every RHD we have well.

Miller is already doing what you are saying and is already playing 2nd pair minutes and PP and PK time, and despite his warts, is doing well all things considered.

Then you have your pick of Smith, Jones, Hajek, Reunanen, and Robertson for that last spot. Three of those five will not (or should not be) on the team next year.

I'm ok with Smith for another year under a million to be the 7th defenseman. The third spot should go to whoever earns it out of Hajek, Reunanen, or Robertson. All of them could conceivably earn it.

I'm much more worried still about the depth on the right side. Trouba being out exposed the inexperience of the group as a whole. I agree with @bobbop that some veteran insurance be brought in, but I'd do it for the right side.

Say Trouba, Fox, and Lundkvist are your right side next year. There's Schneider, Skinner, and who else after that?

I think with Fox and Trouba, they are okay. Then if he signs, Lundkvist, who is going to be 21 in July, they are probably okay there too especially if they keep Smith who can play RD as well.

I just am not so sure they need to be ideal on RD, D in general given the up coming likely options. I don't think it's a super long shot that Lundkvist does not come in pretty much NHL ready. And right behind him like you said Schneider.

Jones LD, short sample size looks decent enough too.

I'd just let the whole D go as is, yet either keep Smith or replace him with a Smith like vet.

Last edited:

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Larry is on the right track. This team needs a Keith Hernandez or Gary Carter. The parallels are there.

I think face offs or sandpaper are more important than a regular vet DMan. See if Hjarmolson or Martinez will take a one year mentor deal. I hate Bogosian but he's another guy I'd put in that category.

Reactions: ponzu4u and Leetch3

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
If they really think they need a vet RD who can play in case none of the young RDs are ready grab like Pysyk or similar if they'll sign cheap.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Win, lose, or draw, I wouldn't call this season a disappointment. I think that's harsh. There was a lot of adversity and there has been growth the last 6-8 weeks.

It's like Yankees fans who are freaking out to me now. A losing streak or not winning a championship during the pandemic isn't the end of the world. Too much instant gratification or entitlement of fanbases in this region. It's about the long game.

Quinn will be back. I'm not saying that's good or bad but he has changed a little since his quarantine. Maybe he'll look back during the summer and chill a little more. Remember, Tom Coughlin was one shift away from getting canned in 2007.

Also, the offseason is going to be much shorter with basically four months for all non-playoff teams. I hope everyone remembers that.

If they go 8-0 or 7-1 and sneak in, cool. If they do something more realistic like 5-3 or 5-2-1 that's ok too.

Draft Raty/McTavish/Svechkov who will all be useful centers in 2-3 years when this team is ready for prime time. I really love the later in once again, the role Lias Andersson was supposed to have aka the Bobby Holik/Joel Otto matchup nightmare role.

Add a few vets with sandpaper. Barron + 1-2 vets should all come in this fall for Blackwell/Howden one of Strome-Buch. Rooney is fine as a 12-13.

They've been drafting some rats/POSs the last few years. Cullye/Berrard/Vierling/Edstrom up front, and Schneider on the back.

That element of sandpaper and being a complete $%#@$ to play against will start creeping into the Rangers roster and organization by 2022.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would keep half an eye on Jani Hakanpaa if you need a stop gap RHD that is going to offer something different than the current core. If Carolina is keeping Hamilton, they aren’t going to be able to afford much else.

Don’t think Hakanpaa breaks the bank compared to the other available guys, but the secret of him is going to be out.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
SAndpapaer and necessary VET presence will be acquired. Both to deepen the roster and divesify it a bit. Be it in the offseason or at the next TDL. Its all about metrics. No worries really. Just stay the course,be patient and makethe right deals. A frenzy of desperation amongst cap strapped teams will present plenty of opportunities in the future! 35 yo singlemaltis brutralstuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad