Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I really hope not for anything more than JMFJ money and term, without protections. We should know better by now, but nothing this FO does shocks me anymore.
Of course it'd be around $1M. He has value as a 6/7 and locker room guy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Unless we’re up against the contracts cap, I think it’d be a mistake to let him go for nothing.
Totally agree. Unless there’s a team out there that can give him a real chance. Here he’s probably capped at AHL.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I suspect he’s our 7D next year and I guess Bitetto is 8 since he’s under contract (right?).
Do you think Smith would WANT to be 7th D? Pretty sure he’d look for situation where he’d be a regular. He’s been a trooper during his 4-year contract while facing a lot of adversity, some of it is self inflicted, but I see very low probability of him and the Rangers agreeing on his role and salary to bring him next year.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Do you think Smith would WANT to be 7th D? Pretty sure he’d look for situation where he’d be a regular. He’s been a trooper during his 4-year contract while facing a lot of adversity, some of it is self inflicted, but I see very low probability of him and the Rangers agreeing on his role and salary to bring him next year.
JFC just when I thought I’d heard it all. Smith has suffered through the contract in which he was ridiculously overpaid and overprotected.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Hallucinating again, I see.
Excuse me- are you of the opinion that Smith *earned* the $17.5 million he’s made off this team? That he deserves to be our second highest paid defenseman?

He made a shade under half a mil per point he scored, or ~80k per game played, whichever way you want to look at it.

To date, his most stunning achievement is losing all the weight he racked on in a single offseason while celebrating our bamboozlement.

What a trooper!

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Have there been any reports about what Buchnevich's ask is for his next contract? I'm so torn on him. I love him as a player, he's great in the room (clearly loved by his teammates), and he's close with both Panarin and Shesterkin, but can the team afford to have three top 6 wingers on both sides? The only way I could see that working would be if Zibanejad either signed at a BARGAIN or was moved at the deadline next year (I still think, with the way the team has been constructed, the best chance to be a contender is to find bargain centers who "fit" with all of our star wingers the same way that Michael Nylander fit with Straka and Jagr. Otherwise, we won't be able to afford all of these high end wingers and defensemen).

I don't think he is going to ask for ridiculous amount. My guess is it will be around 5 mil per

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
No, for sure. 7D wouldn’t be his first choice. But I think he came into this season as the 7D essentially...7D does get to play. Anyhow, it’s relative. Not sure another team will offer him a Top Four slot. So it might be like, be 7D with the Rangers or a little higher in the pecking order with another team. And I’d think on a short term deal the Rangers would make it worth his while financially, within reason, of course.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don't think he is going to ask for ridiculous amount. My guess is it will be around 5 mil per
Yeah. I think he’ll be ok with a bridge deal. Give up the money short term but come out as a UFA. It’s not ideal for either party but it is what it is.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Have there been any reports about what Buchnevich's ask is for his next contract? I'm so torn on him. I love him as a player, he's great in the room (clearly loved by his teammates), and he's close with both Panarin and Shesterkin, but can the team afford to have three top 6 wingers on both sides? The only way I could see that working would be if Zibanejad either signed at a BARGAIN or was moved at the deadline next year (I still think, with the way the team has been constructed, the best chance to be a contender is to find bargain centers who "fit" with all of our star wingers the same way that Michael Nylander fit with Straka and Jagr. Otherwise, we won't be able to afford all of these high end wingers and defensemen).

Buchnevich can’t be fit under the cap when other wingers will be due to get paid big bucks. The question is when. There are pipe dream scenarios where Gorton is able to move Kreider AND Zibanejad is signed to something ridiculously low. Otherwise it’s very high probability that actually both Buchnevich and Zibanejad are moved.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Buchnevich can’t be fit under the cap when other wingers will be due to get paid big bucks. The question is when. There are pipe dream scenarios where Gorton is able to move Kreider AND Zibanejad is signed to something ridiculously low. Otherwise it’s very high probability that actually both Buchnevich and Zibanejad are moved.

so they have 2 years whats the problem ?

you think Kakko is earning a big raise cause he’s not likely unless he blows up next season .....maybe

also the Buch raise is what 3 million more than his current ?
Say Lindgren and Shesterkin get 10 combined

that’s like 13 million with like 30 million space

Chytil won’t get a bug bump that’s a bridge at like 2 million

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
so they have 2 years whats the problem ?

you think Kakko is earning a big raise cause he’s not likely unless he blows up next season .....maybe

The problem is Buchnevich will need a new contract this offseason and Zibanejad - next. In both cases the players will look for a new contract well beyond 2 years and probably including some trade protection.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
The problem is Buchnevich will need a new contract this offseason and Zibanejad - next. In both cases the players will look for a new contract well beyond 2 years and probably including some trade protection.

i get it but we can’t assume. Buch just finally broke out

only problem is If he tanks next year and is untradeable . You just don’t give a NO Trade . Too bad he’s still rfa

Trouba if he continues to play like he did this year should be tradeable once the no trade goes away

Kreider It depends as he still leads the team in goals . If Laf can take the spot on line 1 that line 3 could be great

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Would keep half an eye on Jani Hakanpaa if you need a stop gap RHD that is going to offer something different than the current core. If Carolina is keeping Hamilton, they aren’t going to be able to afford much else.

Don’t think Hakanpaa breaks the bank compared to the other available guys, but the secret of him is going to be out.

i don’t think they need a RD stop gap.
Fox and Trouba are established ssi just roll out Lundkvist or Schneider. A Smith cheap can cover if brought back

LD different story I could see a cheap 1 year vet just so they don’t have a rookie w a rookie on the 3rd pair . Again Smith could be number 6/7

I actually think Hajek is traded now that he’s had a good year IMO. Bitetto should be in the AHL if no taxi

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
I would take a little gamble here and lock up Chytil on a Dvorak type contract. Having some bargains on a team with a bunch of high ticket guys will be a key part to managing the cap. Theres a few franchises that do it pretty well. I'm pretty comfortable with Chytil going foward, a couple years down the line with some more minutes, and PP time... +60 point player is realistic... and at 4.5/5 million thats great value

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

The trade protection is the key. If Buch insists on an NMC, then we have 2 options. We can trade him this offseason, or we can sign him and then trade him before the NMC kicks in.

Hopefully, we can get him to agree to a limited NTC. That will give us the flexibility to trade him if and when it is necessary.

So much is tied into what we do with Mika though. He has another year on his contract, but we have to figure it out now. We can't wait until he's a UFA. He has too much value to just let him walk away, and we don't want to be forced into re-signing him because we have no other options. If re-signing him is the right option in the eyes of management, then get it done this offseason.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

In one of the recent game broadcasts (I don’t remember which one. It may have been a Flyers broadcast.), they were talking about Smith and how he was very appreciative to the Rangers for not moving him at the deadline. He may like this team and his role on it.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I would take a little gamble here and lock up Chytil on a Dvorak type contract. Having some bargains on a team with a bunch of high ticket guys will be a key part to managing the cap. Theres a few franchises that do it pretty well. I'm pretty comfortable with Chytil going foward, a couple years down the line with some more minutes, and PP time... +60 point player is realistic... and at 4.5/5 million thats great value
I agree..if you have to hedge your bets on one guy in the top 9 it would be him . Hopefully Zibs takes a 5 year deal . If not...I have no problem on 7 and it would be good for most of us if we have two Cups in 6 years time ....we would not mind eating a year then . Sometimes you just roll the dice....cannot keep trading for picks and prospects and you just go for it . Penguins did early with their kids and got an early Cup....we can be that club with a break or two and a couple of smart additions .

Reactions: B17 Apricots

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
This is exactly the kind of player this team needs. A veteran middle six center whose a real pain to play against. Not only can they take big draws, they can match up against top lines. PK, and become leaders especially in the playoffs.

Though I am convinced almost anyone can become sufficient at faceoffs. It just takes commitment to learning the tricks. And then when taking faceoffs -- you must bear down, get under your opponent, tie them up and battle harder on 50/50's when the puck is just sitting there in a pile of limbs. I don't understand why there hasn't been a greater improvement, some additional training brought in. You can tell they don't work on it that much because you don't see any changes in technique. It's usually just one swipe, two swipes maybe, done.

Off subject, but I was very impressed with how much growth there was in Zac Jones' second game. He was moving around with a lot more authority and aggressiveness. And everything he did was faster than game 1. I think its a real bright sign to see how much he was able to improve from game 1 to game 2. And he's not even scratching the surface yet.
That's because that isn't how face-offs are won or lost.

Largely they're a zig or zag situation and while strength, leverage and size play a part... mostly it's a pull back, or push forward option... the opponent also has those options. There's a lot of poker to winning face-offs and sometimes you may try to win a face-off in a way that literally feeds into the opposition's play.

Reactions: Daves a mess

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Strome-Mika - Buch - Gauthier-Howden-Barron-Hajek-Lundkvist-Jones-Robertson-Schneider -Georgie + 2 First Rounders could easily all be in play in some shape or form depending what the GET is .. Myself....I try and hang onto one of the picks...and Barron and Schneider .

I think Gorton and Davidson will eventually make a good decision that suits our needs best . We honestly don't know if they have thoughts on an early Cup or not.....and that could reflect on any possible deals in the short term and the long term. Those names above could be used in 3 trades easily enough . A Center..gritty winger and and an experienced Dman .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->