Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
i don’t think they need a RD stop gap.
Fox and Trouba are established ssi just roll out Lundkvist or Schneider. A Smith cheap can cover if brought back

LD different story I could see a cheap 1 year vet just so they don’t have a rookie w a rookie on the 3rd pair . Again Smith could be number 6/7

I actually think Hajek is traded now that he’s had a good year IMO. Bitetto should be in the AHL if no taxi
I don’t agree. They have more guys that can play on the left. Much less on the right but again you can maybe take a chance on a guy that can play both like Ian Cole or something.

Still a lot to play out in that part on the ice though.

Reactions: Leetch3

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I don’t agree. They have more guys that can play on the left. Much less on the right but again you can maybe take a chance on a guy that can play both like Ian Cole or something.

Still a lot to play out in that part on the ice though.

Hjalmarsoon from Arizona comes to mind. He's long in the tooth but I think he could be a really good swiss amy knife on D.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Carolina short changed their legendary broadcaster, Forslund.. Let him walk to Seattle..

I can see Carolina low-balling Brind'Amour.. ( as he's not re-signed yet ) No reason not to offer him the moon if he becomes available. $7M + per

... and I think I can see why Seattle hasn't hired their head coach yet... Francis poaching all of Carolina's top organizational talent

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Carolina short changed their legendary broadcaster, Forslund..

I can see Carolina low-balling Brind'Amour.. ( as he's not re-signed yet ) No reason not to offer him the moon if he becomes available. $7M + per

If he becomes available, he's easily the guy I would want the most.

Only Quenneville or Trotz magically being unemployed would give me pause.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Carolina short changed their legendary broadcaster, Forslund.. Let him walk to Seattle..

... and I think I can see why Seattle hasn't hired their head coach yet... Francis poaching all of Carolina's top organizational talent
Maybe Gallant is already hired unofficially and is still being paid by LV...I believe he did say he was going to draw every last nickle of his salary they owed him for the early release ? I think his deal ends in July....then he is free to sign on with them .

Reactions: egelband

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Can anybody explain why Chytil's icetime per game went down almost by 2 minutes this season compared to last?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Can anybody explain why Chytil's icetime per game went down almost by 2 minutes this season compared to last?

Down about a minute at even strength, which I would imagine had something to do with the fact that he spent time on the 2nd line wing for a portion of last season.

Some of it is reduced PP time due to Blackwell manning the center on the second unit.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I would take a little gamble here and lock up Chytil on a Dvorak type contract. Having some bargains on a team with a bunch of high ticket guys will be a key part to managing the cap. Theres a few franchises that do it pretty well. I'm pretty comfortable with Chytil going foward, a couple years down the line with some more minutes, and PP time... +60 point player is realistic... and at 4.5/5 million thats great value
Where have I heard this before...?

;)

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
The problem is Buchnevich will need a new contract this offseason and Zibanejad - next. In both cases the players will look for a new contract well beyond 2 years and probably including some trade protection.

Yup. The timing is just awful. We really need another year, because if we move Buch and then Kakko/Kravtsov never develop a top 6 offensive game, we're going to be kicking ourselves. If we re-sign Buch and Kakko/Krav DO blow up the the stat charts, we'll likely run into a cap crunch. Either way, we're gambling.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
No need for a 3RD

Lundkvist will be the team’s 3RD out of camp no doubt. Assuming Quinn isn’t a dummy (which we all know how that is)

I give Quinn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the defense. To me, the competition in camp will come down to Jones vs. Lundkvist. Whoever locks down their spot will get paired with a veteran, and the other gets top pair in Hartford. I don't see them rolling a 3rd pair of offensive-minded rookies. Miller isn't ready to hold down his own pair yet, so he's likely still with Trouba. You could potentially break up Lindgren and Fox, but why would you?

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
I'm adding KAM and Lindgren to my untouchable's list.

Bad phrasing tbh, they were a long time for me. They should be on your lists too.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Would like to see this for the rest of the way.
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Lafreniere-Zibanejad-Buchnevich
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov
Barron-Howden-Gauthier

I want to see the same, but swap Strome and Chytil. We have a decision to make on Strome. Seeing Chytil with Panarin on his wing for 10 games will give us a better idea of how expendable Strome is (or isn't), and once we get to next season, the same old arguments will get brought out again ("we're pushing for the playoffs, so it doesn't matter how well Chytil is playing" etc etc) about why Chytil can't play more than ~13 minutes a game.

I'm also, frankly, over the Panarin--Strome pairing. They produce, but Quinn has this obsession with finding a Fast replacement, as he thinks that's the only way for that line to work. I worry that that may be part of the reason Kakko hasn't produced as much on that line. I don't want Kakko to be the defensive garbage man on that line. I want him to be an equal part, and I don't think that will happen until the core of that line (Strome/Bread) is split up. I also like the idea of having Kravtsov on a veteran line with a playmaking center in Strome.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I give Quinn the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the defense. To me, the competition in camp will come down to Jones vs. Lundkvist. Whoever locks down their spot will get paired with a veteran, and the other gets top pair in Hartford. I don't see them rolling a 3rd pair of offensive-minded rookies. Miller isn't ready to hold down his own pair yet, so he's likely still with Trouba. You could potentially break up Lindgren and Fox, but why would you?
It will be Jones vs. Reuanen vs. Robertson and Lundqvist vs. Schneider.

Reactions: kovazub94

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oh definitely--my point was just that I don't see them going with a pair of rookies on that bottom pairing. So all of those guys are likely fighting for one spot.
That is one of the interesting plot lines. Do they try to bring in someone like a Cole? Or do they go with an all rookie third pair? Think that they would bring a veteran in but said vet would need to be willing to sign a one year deal. Or do they just simply try to bring back Smith as a 7th defenseman? The last part is tougher as I am betting that he gets several offers for a multi year deal. Which brings us right back to what possible vet can be had to play on the left side on a 1 year deal?

Reactions: egelband

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Yup. The timing is just awful. We really need another year, because if we move Buch and then Kakko/Kravtsov never develop a top 6 offensive game, we're going to be kicking ourselves. If we re-sign Buch and Kakko/Krav DO blow up the the stat charts, we'll likely run into a cap crunch. Either way, we're gambling.
You have to gamble when it comes to the cap. You may not know who breaks out, but with this many rods in the fire you have to bank on someone filling the void. This was the mistake with Kreider. You couldn't point to any one guy and have confidence they would replace him, but we had so many forward prospects it became pretty probably someone would do it. And frankly, if no one got the job done the rebuild was off the rails anyway.

Gorton can't play both sides of the fence. He can't sign a bunch of vets to transition. They all demand long contracts, high salary and clauses. Then we are stuck with bridge deals and unable to sign quality, productive draft picks like Buchnevich. We should have locked him up long term in 2019. Fox won't get cheaper as time goes on. Kakko and Kravtsov won't play themselves into cheaper contracts after bridging.

Reactions: Off Sides

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

It will be Jones vs. Reuanen vs. Robertson and Lundqvist vs. Schneider.

My money are on Lundkvist taking the spot and the incoming vet is LD.

The Rangers will have one year 21-22 when the salary cap won’t be an issue and so it might be possible to get a quality vet with only 1-year left on the contract from a team that will struggle to find room under the cap.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
You have to gamble when it comes to the cap. You may not know who breaks out, but with this many rods in the fire you have to bank on someone filling the void. This was the mistake with Kreider. You couldn't point to any one guy and have confidence they would replace him, but we had so many forward prospects it became pretty probably someone would do it. And frankly, if no one got the job done the rebuild was off the rails anyway.

Gorton can't play both sides of the fence. He can't sign a bunch of vets to transition. They all demand long contracts, high salary and clauses. Then we are stuck with bridge deals and unable to sign quality, productive draft picks like Buchnevich. We should have locked him up long term in 2019. Fox won't get cheaper as time goes on. Kakko and Kravtsov won't play themselves into cheaper contracts after bridging.

I was 100% on the "Trade Kreider" team (mainly because they could just re-sign him that summer if they wanted to, so why not get assets first).

But in the team's defense, they couldn't have known that they were going to wind up with the #1 overall pick in the draft and have Laf in the mix. After Panarin and Kreider (excluding Laf) who do we really have who is even remotely close to NHL ready as a top 6 LW? Re-signing Kreider made sense when they did it. The Buchnevich situation is different because they have a couple of guys already on the team who play his position.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

The Rangers will have one year 21-22 when the salary cap won’t be an issue and so it might be possible to get a quality vet with only 1-year left on the contract from a team that will struggle to find room under the cap.

There is an incoming vet LD? why?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Lundqvist is certainly the odds on favorite. Gonna be a fight though.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I was 100% on the "Trade Kreider" team (mainly because they could just re-sign him that summer if they wanted to, so why not get assets first).

But in the team's defense, they couldn't have known that they were going to wind up with the #1 overall pick in the draft and have Laf in the mix. After Panarin and Kreider (excluding Laf) who do we really have who is even remotely close to NHL ready as a top 6 LW? Re-signing Kreider made sense when they did it. The Buchnevich situation is different because they have a couple of guys already on the team who play his position.

Kravstsov played LW in the KHL at times. I saw him there long term before the lottery win, even if we signed/traded for a 1-2yr stopgap

Reactions: DutchShamrock

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Didn't anyone catch Sam and Joe pumping Eichel's tires and "speculating" if Buffalo would move him - "his NMC kicks in 2022 - think they'd trade him before that? "An outstanding player... He'd be quite a LEADER for this team if he is healthy"? They spent a minute going on about Eichel and how great he is.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Didn't anyone catch Sam and Joe pumping Eichel's tires and "speculating" if Buffalo would move him - "his NMC kicks in 2022 - think they'd trade him before that? "An outstanding player... He'd be quite a LEADER for this team if he is healthy"? They spent a minute going on about Eichel and how great he is.
They also talk about how much of a force Smith has been this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad