Speculation: Roster Building Thread LXXX: Going 8-0 to close out might not be enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Even if you leave out what was in the pipeline at the time, committing that much term to a 55 point 30 year old when you're committed to a rebuild was a bad choice. Wanting to retain him was a great idea, vet presence, scores goals, the off ice stuff, physical attributes... but it had to be on our terms. If he wasnt willing to take a few years, even at a higher AAV than part ways. You have options, plenty of assets to make a trade, pick up a stop gap FA... maybe a long term one pops up. Something like that you gotta have the foresight that opportunities will present themselves so you don't handcuff yourself in the future.

Now we're in similar position with Buch where he's been fantastic. He's reached a new level of consistency and added the penalty killing but unless he's willing to take a fairly short deal you need to make your move. I'd like to keep him, he can be a useful piece going foward but I wouldn't commit long term. As much as I like Buch, and I've been saying for a while he has another level to him, Kakko, Laf and Kravtsov have huge ceilings and are coming along very quickly. Years down the line what happens when some of these kids are ppg players. Fox, Laf, Kakko asking for +8 a year... having money tied up to guys like Kreider + Buch is too risky for me

Hell I'd seriously go ask Kreider if he's willing to waive for Seattle and offer him and TDA

Reactions: leetch99

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
He's first in the league in PP goals, or at least he was yesterday.

Say what you want about his even strength play, we could do a lot worse than having our worst long term contract be a third line player who bangs in many goals on the man advantage and is one of the best in the league at screening goaltenders.

In a few years you can move on from Kreids and Trouba if you want, but they're currently both very valuable to this roster.
This is exactly what I'm thinking, spot on.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I don't think he's really looked a whole lot better next to Chytil. He's had his positive moments which is a step up from what he was doing the last 5 weeks, but it still isn't close to enough.

Zibanejad has looked much better away from Kreider though.
The third line was doing fantastic work down low yesterday. Krieder was a part of it.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
And that is also a very interesting subplot. The Rangers are in a position to take someone's bad contract for a year. Or not even bad, but someone who needs the cap relief. But that is also limited to just one year. Who knows. that may be worth an extra pick in next year's draft.
Extra pick coming our way of course. Like taking a contract and a 2nd for a fifth.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
what's weird is when Gauthier started sitting he just had a month where he was .5 PPG playing with 4th liners.

I don't get it. Why does he never get chances while career minor leaguers do? I know he's a bozo defensively but with where he was going we could really use his forechecking presence, especially on our 4th line where they're all about skating in a straight line instead of making plays.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well the NMC goes to a NTC for both in 3 seasons.

I also have a suspicion that we will see another compliance buyout sometime over the next couple seasons.

Barring a reduction in the salary cap, we will never see compliance buyouts again. Neither side wants them.

Miz

Jun 2, 2011
While I'd prefer to see 12 over 33, PDG over Gauthier isn't surprising. The team doesn't need more offense, Gauthier while an ok forechecker is kinda clueless defensively, and Quinn is still trying to make the playoffs. He clearly prefers a defensive minded F over an Offensive one at that point in the season. It sucks for 12, sure...but some of these overreactions...

Reactions: Daves a mess

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
why does quinn hate goth so much?

He doesn't play center, he doesn't kill penalties, and he isn't particularly good without the puck. He isn't going to fill a scoring role on this team right now, as we have many better options, and he isn't equipped to fill any other role.

He'll likely get in at some point, but if Quinn doesn't trust him defensively, he's going to go with the guys he does trust as long as we're competing for a playoff spot.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

good to have him back

Still do not understand what Blackwell provides that line, compared to Kravtsov. That line has stagnated... We literally can't lose a game. Why are we still sticking with him? He's not the best option right now.

Reactions: MetalJaws

effen

Feb 3, 2018

good to have him back

Still do not understand what Blackwell provides that line, compared to Kravtsov. That line has stagnated... We literally can't lose a game. Why are we still sticking with him? He's not the best option right now.

Krav makes the 4th line dangerous by himself in ways the other candidates for it can't. Panarin will drag the 2nd line himself eventually and then you've got 4 lines with the capability to do stuff. In theory.

Reactions: RickChartraw

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He doesn't play center, he doesn't kill penalties, and he isn't particularly good without the puck. He isn't going to fill a scoring role on this team right now, as we have many better options, and he isn't equipped to fill any other role.

He'll likely get in at some point, but if Quinn doesn't trust him defensively, he's going to go with the guys he does trust as long as we're competing for a playoff spot.
blackwell and pdg aren't good at any of these things and outside of blackwell shooting 30% over a month he doesn't contribute much of anything.

gauthier had his best stretch right before he was banished.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
blackwell and pdg aren't good at any of these things and outside of blackwell shooting 30% over a month he doesn't contribute much of anything.

gauthier had his best stretch right before he was banished.

Quinn clearly trusts them more.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
This is just a reminder that Quinn sucks

Quinn sucks because a player, who is missing practice for maintenance, is being replaced by a placeholder during that practice so that they don't practice with different lines than they use in the game? Weird argument. Teams do this literally every day. Arguing that Kravtsov (or Kakko) should be in that spot over Blackwell is a different story but that is not what I'm reading here. Blackwell is on that line, and has been on that line, so given he's not practicing today it's totally expected that they would fill his spot with one of the extras.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Krav makes the 4th line dangerous by himself in ways the other candidates for it can't. Panarin will drag the 2nd line himself eventually and then you've got 4 lines with the capability to do stuff. In theory.
I'd rather have a Panarin line on fire along with Kravtsov getting minutes in the teens than having him on the 4th line. He literally does everything better than Blackwell imo.

Running 4 lines is great. It's not going to make or break this team. If our top boys don't score/play well, we lose. Kravtsov could be that catalyst, just as the Kreider/Laf switch got those respective lines jumping.

Last edited:

Blueshirts777

May 8, 2017
Yep. And had there been no Covid flat cap $6.5m is not a crazy contract. It’s digestible. Even with the flat cap I imagine it doesn’t limit us too much.

That's what gets lost in the conversation with his contract. Two weeks after he signed, Bill Daly said the cap could potentially go to 88.2 million. Then two weeks later sports shuts down. It's insane to suggest that Gorts should have anticipated a unprecedented worldwide pandemic when considering Kreider's long term future with the team.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
Panarin and Strome should (and I think they are totally capable) be able to carry ANYONE as the other wing on their line. Anyone in the league, even Howden.

As a total dweeb outsider, I cannot fathom how Kravtsov or Kakko not moving up helps the team prepare better for next year. The Bruins need to have their entire top line get the long 'vid for the Rangers to have a real shot here, c'mon with this cute grinder crap on the 2nd line.

Reactions: DutchShamrock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad