Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Suter is still going to make 3-4 on his next contract.

Also trading Buch makes sense if you replace him with a player who is different than Buch while still being good. Moving Strome to RW doesn't help.

I think ideally, if the team traded Buchnevich, they would back-fill the 3rd line role with a player who can play a hard-nosed game and move around the line-up a bit. Someone like a Palmieri, or Goodrow or Coleman. With the ultimate thought process being they could settle in to a 3rd line role in the future but back-fill if one of the young player isn't playing well.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
  • Kravstov, Jones and 2022 #1 for Larkin
  • Sign Suter 2 years $4MM AAV
  • Sign Coleman 4 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Sign Nosek 2 years $1.75MM AAV
  • Resign Buch 4 years $5.5MM AAV
  • Resign Smith 2 years $1MM AAV
  • Resign Chyitl 3 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Resign Shesh 5 years $5MM AAV
  • Trade Strome to recoup some assets sent in the Larkin deal.
  • Extend Zib 5 years $7.5MM AAV
  • See if Fox will extend 8 years $8MM AAV
  • Howden selected in expansion draft
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Coleman
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh
Geo/vet backup if he's dealt

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Suter is still going to make 3-4 on his next contract.

Also trading Buch makes sense if you replace him with a player who is different than Buch while still being good. Moving Strome to RW doesn't help.

I am more afraid that he will go to a contender. Like Colorado or Tampa or a team like that.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
Imagine giving up assets for Duncan Keith and the NEXT DAY Ryan Suter becomes a UFA.
5gctaf.jpg

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh
Thats the ideal scenario IMO.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If this is the formula, how many pieces do the Rangers have in place?

this is actually a very reasonable list when you disregard the egregious criteria hockey fans have for someone being "good"

I'd say the Rangers, right now, have most of this list.

Elite 1c - Mika of last year is not this but Mika of the year prior, for sure, is

Elite winger - Panarin

Two other top line wingers - Kreider and Buchnevich, Kakko and Laf will very likely fall into this category soon

Top-line center to play behind elite center - I personally think this is Chytil but I can see the disagreement. I also think HF is extraordinarily off base in their evaluations of "top line" v.s. "top 6" talent.

Two more top 6 forwards - Kakko and Laf

Elite no 1 D - Fox

A second no 1 D - I think Lindgren is on the border here because his offense is lacking but I certainly think his play driving is at least top pair quality.

Top pair D to anchor a strong second pair - this should be Trouba but likely Lindgren is more of the answer here.

Top pairing caliber D to to crush soft minutes - not sure about this one, I guess that could be Trouba but ideally it's Miller who could be a victim of a short term numbers game

Top 10 starting G - probably not Igor yet, but could be.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Suter is going to have a lot of teams after him. He's not going to have to settle for minimum.

Think with Suter it will be if he choose
s the Minimum to chase a Cup.

He definitely doesn't need to just accept that though, but I could see the Kariya/Selanne to the Avs situation with Suter/Parise

Reactions: NYRangers16

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
this is actually a very reasonable list when you disregard the egregious criteria hockey fans have for someone being "good"

I'd say the Rangers, right now, have most of this list.

Elite 1c - Mika of last year is not this but Mika of the year prior, for sure, is

Elite winger - Panarin

Two other top line wingers - Kreider and Buchnevich, Kakko and Laf will very likely fall into this category soon

Top-line center to play behind elite center - I personally think this is Chytil but I can see the disagreement. I also think HF is extraordinarily off base in their evaluations of "top line" v.s. "top 6" talent.

Two more top 6 forwards - Kakko and Laf

Elite no 1 D - Fox

A second no 1 D - I think Lindgren is on the border here because his offense is lacking but I certainly think his play driving is at least top pair quality.

Top pair D to anchor a strong second pair - this should be Trouba but likely Lindgren is more of the answer here.

Top pairing caliber D to to crush soft minutes - not sure about this one, I guess that could be Trouba but ideally it's Miller who could be a victim of a short term numbers game

Top 10 starting G - probably not Igor yet, but could be.

Honestly probably worth noting that I think you have to make those evaluations within the context of the season you're in. Winning the cup is also about all of those players playing like that at the right time.
If Zibanejad is at the top of his game next season heading into the playoffs? If Shesterkin has had an excellent season? If Trouba is having a solid year? etc etc
Maybe some guys have a down season after that and you don't win the cup because they don't produce, btu that's the NHL and taht happens to most every team.

You get cinderella runs because teams that you didn't think had those pieces suddenly get guys who overperform and that middle of the road goalie during the regular season suddenly starts playing like a top 10 or a fringe winger during the regular season suddenly starts playing like a top six guy.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Yeah. I realize that. It was a tongue in cheek post illustrating that the Rangers have no business trying to add another winger, on either side.
You’re right, it isn’t a need. However, any day you can add a W like Tarasenko to your top-six, even if it comes at reduced minutes for Kakko and Kravstov, you do it if the price is low enough.

Reactions: Thirty One

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh

I’d switch Lundkvist in for Kravtsov and switch one of those forward signings to a D man. Otherwise, an ideal offseason.

Reactions: IDvsEGO

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
You’re right, it isn’t a need. However, any day you can add a W like Tarasenko to your top-six, even if it comes at reduced minutes for Kakko and Kravstov, you do it if the price is low enough.

Not at the cost of impeding a 2ov pick that is 20.

Rangers are also not a win now team.

Let's make the playoffs and win a round before we get to this phase.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

If he was healthy and if he wasn't 29...

He has missed a lot of time in the past several years and is hitting the age where players start to decline. It would be a risky move and I think people are remembering Tarasenko of the past and not taking into account more recent issues

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh

Sign me up

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Honestly probably worth noting that I think you have to make those evaluations within the context of the season you're in. Winning the cup is also about all of those players playing like that at the right time.
If Zibanejad is at the top of his game next season heading into the playoffs? If Shesterkin has had an excellent season? If Trouba is having a solid year? etc etc
Maybe some guys have a down season after that and you don't win the cup because they don't produce, btu that's the NHL and taht happens to most every team.

You get cinderella runs because teams that you didn't think had those pieces suddenly get guys who overperform and that middle of the road goalie during the regular season suddenly starts playing like a top 10 or a fringe winger during the regular season suddenly starts playing like a top six guy.
This is an excellent point. There have been players on teams that have fit into those categories at the time of their Cup run that aren't necessarily those players always. Guys step up or get hot. Cam Ward certainly wasn't a "top 10 goalie" in the league when he won (or really after) but he played like it.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
This is an excellent point. There have been players on teams that have fit into those categories at the time of their Cup run that aren't necessarily those players always. Guys step up or get hot. Cam Ward certainly wasn't a "top 10 goalie" in the league when he won (or really after) but he played like it.

Yeah, and I think to some extent there's trying to position your team so that might be a possibility if you can't get those guys 100% out of the gate. Like are Kakko and Laf high end top six wingers at the start of this coming season? Most people wouldn't peg them for that right now...but maybe they are at the end of the season and are playing amazing

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That all looks great goalieguy- but I think your figures for Zibby and Buch on extensions are conservative. I also think Buch would have to be gone next offseason in order to give the appropriate extensions due to the Suter/Coleman contracts.

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh

Would definitely rather give up Buch than Krav but I'll be happy with this

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Keep Lindgren and Fox together for the next 10 years. Play them 25-30 minutes a game

If the coaching staff can't figure out how to split the remaining 30 minutes, or if the players making up the bottom4 on D can't get produce decent 15 minutes per pair, we have problems that splitting the top pair will not fix

Reactions: TheBloodyNine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad