Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
RGY said:
Continue

No interest in Danault. Actually, I should say I have “minimal” interest in Danault. The Rangers can find effective checking line Centers for defensive matchups. He was putrid offensively in the playoffs for what he thinks he is ultimately worth
You’d ideally want this guy to be your third line center, but he will get paid to be a 2nd line guy. Pass for me.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Exactly. I left out the part of my post saying they can find effect checking line defensive centers for much cheaper, probably half the cost.

I am with you re Dandenault. Love the player, love the type, exactly what we need, but UFA signings are almost never good. And we need great contracts.

You won’t compete for a Cup without getting an advantage due to good contracts. We have blown the window when we can live on the young nuke’s ELC. Both Chicago and Anaheim won cups during that window.

Who will be our good contracts? It won’t be the 30m we spend on Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. Can be acceptable, but never great value. It won’t be the another 7m we spend on Dandenault. 4 players and like 40% of our Cap right there. Fox, Kakko, Laf and co won’t be cheap. You don’t win cups with 4-5 great players, it takes a great team.

The other category on my black list is role players that played for any of the finalist teams lol, like Coleman, Goodenrow and the likes. Every year these guys come and go. Some even hop from Cup winner to Cup winner like Maroon and Fedetenko.

But they basically — never — makes a difference when they go to any team looking to take big steps. Basically never. These guys aren’t strong players. They can excel in a strong environment when enabled to play to their strengths. And like depth line going up against depth line in the Cup final don’t differ much from the regular season like we have seen many times. But they get glorified.

We need to find these types much cheaper than the going rate for the ones having played in the finals. No doubt.

Last edited:

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If this season isn't "playoffs or bust" mandate (Drury said it was a goal but not a mandate) its a good season to let Chytil loose and see what he can do while both Zibanejad and Strome are up for new contracts or replacements..

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I am with you re Dandenault. Love the player, love the type, exactly what we need, but UFA signings are almost never good. And we need great contracts.

You won’t compete for a Cup without getting an advantage due to good contracts. We have blown the window when we can live on the young nuke’s ELC. Both Chicago and Anaheim won cups during that window.

Who will be our good contracts? It won’t be the 30m we spend on Panarin, Trouba and Kreider. Can be acceptable, but never great value. It won’t be the another 7m we spend on Dandenault. 4 players and like 40% of our Cap right there. Fox, Kakko, Laf and co won’t be cheap. You don’t win cups with 4-5 great players, it takes a great team.

The other category on my black list is role players that played for any of the finalist teams lol, like Coleman, Goodenrow and the likes. Every year these guys come and go. Some even hop from Cup winner to Cup winner like Maroon and Fedetenko.

But they basically — never — makes a difference when they go to any team looking to take big steps. Basically never. These guys aren’t strong players. They can excel in a strong environment when enabled to play to their strengths. And like depth line going up against depth line in the Cup final don’t differ much from the regular season like we have seen many times. But they get glorified.

We need to find these types much cheaper than the going rate for the ones having played in the finals. No doubt.

Didn't he retire over 10 years ago?

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010

Ola, the current cap structure allows for a couple of contracts like the Panarin’s (if a team doesn’t overspent on the bottom liners). Can’t see how Panarin is not worth it, nor what Trouba doesn’t - maybe with just a small overpayment.

Reactions: Ola

Daves a mess

Jan 8, 2014
Top Shelfs Hockey's latest rumor/speculation regarding what the Rangers may have settled on sending Buffalo for Capt Jack. Here goes.
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

B**ch away! And swell your chest at the guy at TSH, not me lol.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I get the feeling, aside from shifting on or two things around for expansion, that we'll stand pat and see how things look under Gallant and Drury.

I keep seeing the suggestion of Chytil at wing, but I haven't seen anything really from the org to suggest they're looking into that. It would almost assuredly mean a trade or two to shift things around.

What are the center options? Can't say I was really interested in many of the UFA options. Had some free time and looked around CapFriendly. Decided to get some Bern on.

Danault - Going to demand a fortune. Great defensively, not much offense added in playoffs.
Gambrell - Looked at him while checking out Hertl. Seems to lack the type of upside we would need, but does play both sides of the puck.
Hertl - Knee injuries. Age/contract commitment.
Krebs - Skill, top-6 upside....
Larkin - Cost? Otherwise fills what we would need.
Joel L'Esperance - Lack of overall upside, but a good skater and plays both sides of the puck.
Lindholm - Been a massive fan of Lindholm since his days in Carolina, but will Calgary trade him? Spent most of the time on wing.
ROR - Availability? Age? Still has game, but do we want to commit long-term?
Schmaltz - Could see him being Strome-like in taking a big step playing with Panarin.

Groulx - Assuming Zegras and Lundestrom are off the table... Not sure about his overall upside, but he plays with a bit of edge and we can use more Centers in the system.
Lauko - Speed and skill, but is he basically a wing at this point? Probably will be looking for an NHL job soon.
Perfetti - With Schiefele, DuBois, and Lowry, I'd be interested to see what Winnipeg does with Perfetti. Maybe a D for C swap? Unless they just decide to deal with that when it's a real issue.

LA and Carolina both have pretty good C depth in their pipelines....would Carolina entertain another Gauthier/Keane sort of deal, but maybe up the stakes?

System Depth
LWCRW
PanarinZibBuchnevich
LafStromeKakko
KreiderChytilKravtsov
HowdenRooneyBlackwell
GettingBarronGauthier
Cuylle Brodzinski Richards
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If Barron and/or Chytil ends up a wing...well...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You f*ckin' go for it while bread is in his prime. Exciting and utterly terrifying.

Next 5 years is their best shot to win a cup IMO, but hopefully we can find some young centers who can pro long that when the "kids" get older and become the vets (Fox, Laf, Kakko, etc)

Reactions: Rongomania

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Top Shelfs Hockey's latest rumor/speculation regarding what the Rangers may have settled on sending Buffalo for Capt Jack. Here goes.
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

Chytil or Georgiev? Two wildly separate values, and totally different positions. How does that make sense.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

Now Buch, Georgiev, Jones, Robertson 1st is a lot, but it’s not THAT bad

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

I’d like to keep Robertson and let them have both Chytil and Georgiev

if Eichel is healthy that’s a good deal

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

Buyouts, ~4.4M 2021-22, ~3.3M 2022-23 (with DeAngelo)

Panarin, Trouba, Kreider all have clauses, and they are at 26.1M

Lindgren is signed for 3 years at 3M

That is 32-33M on 4 players.

Shesterkin is a pending RFA now, 4-5M??

36-38M used on 5 players.

That is almost half the cap used on 1 top liner, one Fox partner, a 1G, and some other stuff.

Everyone can takes guesses beyond that, yet assuming Fox, at least 8M, probably more.

44-46M used on 6 players.

At some point this all becomes who do the Rangers not extend and instead go after a near league minimum salary/cap hit for that position.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Buch
Chytil or Georgey
Jones
Robertsson
#1 2021

I don't want Eichel to begin with, but if it's taking FIVE assets like that then all the more reason to flip Buffalo the bird and move on. Franchises always pay a huge price with an asset dump like that for a single player - who you just KNOW would get a career threatening injury in game 2 played for the NYR.

No freaking thank you.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I don't want Eichel to begin with, but if it's taking FIVE assets like that then all the more reason to flip Buffalo the bird and move on. Franchises always pay a huge price with an asset dump like that for a single player - who you just KNOW would get a career threatening injury in game 2 played for the NYR.

No freaking thank you.
HE ALREADY HAS THE CAREER THREATENING INJURY

thats the insane part Buffalo management and their fans act like isn’t there. Dude wants a spine surgery that hasn’t been done ok an NHLer before. No team in their right mind pays full price for that and Buffalo is refusing to deal with his health concerns. It’s a disaster waiting to happen for anyone who trades for him.

I am serious when I say I honestly would think hard about Howden and a 1st for Eichel. That’s $10M cap space we won’t have in a few years for a guy who we hope might be able to skate a year from now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad