Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
The Suter and Parise contracts were written before the recapture penalty was instituted by the NHL. At the time, they looked like good smart deals. Only five contracts are now still in force that would trigger recapture penalty. (e.g. Crosby, Weber, Carter)

Reactions: haveandare

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Draft Fedor Svechkov, sign Ryan Suter and Nosek/Goodrow, and hope Howden gets taken in the expansion draft, and we name a captain. Would be a perfect offseason

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The Suter and Parise contracts were written before the recapture penalty was instituted by the NHL. At the time, they looked like good smart deals. Only five contracts are now still in force that would trigger recapture penalty. (e.g. Crosby, Weber, Carter)

Yup, the idea on those was always to buy out the end years rather than have the contracts run their full course.
The cap recapture thing caused a lot of problems for teams (and lead to the Rangers buying out Richards, which was still probably the better move)

Reactions: NYRangers16

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Suter would be my top choice, but there are PLENTY of other guys available to fill the role in trades or FA so if he dont pick us we move on and get someone else, its not a big deal, but I'd def try to get him here.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Why?

You break up a pairing that has been excellent and you stick two young and learning players together on the third line
We have to try breaking up Lindgren and Fox at some point. The reward is too high not to. Fox will be fine and if Lindgren keeps up his level of play, that's two top pairs right there instead of one.

If it doesn't work, you can just put them back together.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We have to try breaking up Lindgren and Fox at some point. The reward is too high not to. Fox will be fine and if Lindgren keeps up his level of play, that's two top pairs right there instead of one.

If it doesn't work, you can just put them back together.

If Lindgren can carry a partner it makes 3 years 3M per even better of a contract than it already seems to be.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I know people would say "how can you split up Fox/Lindgren" but Fox is elite and can probably play with anyone, and I'm not denying chemistry is important in saying that
I’d be very comfortable separating Fox and Lindgren. Lindgren plays very well with Trouba and vice versa.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Suter would be perfect as the LH Veteran D we bring in, but he's going to basically choose where he goes. He'll have 20+ teams interested in him.

I bet he goes to one of the teams that are considered top contenders. These teams all seem like good landing spots:

Colorado
Vegas (as a replacement for losing Martinez?)
Islanders
Carolina
Florida
Boston
Toronto

He's going to want to win a Cup so that's going to be his top priority I'd imagine.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
Of all the contenders it's prolly Boston that needs Suter the most.

All depends on if he wants to sign a market contract, or a league minimum deal and chase a Cup.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Of all the contenders it's prolly Boston that needs Suter the most.

All depends on if he wants to sign a market contract, or a league minimum deal and chase a Cup.
it also greatly depends where he wants to live. that was a part of why he ended up in minny at the time

Reactions: SRHRangers

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Not interested in giving a 36 year old D a contract with significant term or money to play on our third pair. Some other team can do that if they feel like it.

Reactions: NYSPORTS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad