Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Not interested in giving a 36 year old D a contract with significant term or money to play on our third pair. Some other team can do that if they feel like it.

He wouldn't really be on the 'third pairing'

His overall responsibilities would be greater than Miller's he'd just be partnered with someone not named Trouba most of the time for balance purposes.

Reactions: kovazub94

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
this is actually a very reasonable list when you disregard the egregious criteria hockey fans have for someone being "good"

I'd say the Rangers, right now, have most of this list.

Elite 1c - Mika of last year is not this but Mika of the year prior, for sure, is

Elite winger - Panarin

Two other top line wingers - Kreider and Buchnevich, Kakko and Laf will very likely fall into this category soon

Top-line center to play behind elite center - I personally think this is Chytil but I can see the disagreement. I also think HF is extraordinarily off base in their evaluations of "top line" v.s. "top 6" talent.

Two more top 6 forwards - Kakko and Laf

Elite no 1 D - Fox

A second no 1 D - I think Lindgren is on the border here because his offense is lacking but I certainly think his play driving is at least top pair quality.

Top pair D to anchor a strong second pair - this should be Trouba but likely Lindgren is more of the answer here.

Top pairing caliber D to to crush soft minutes - not sure about this one, I guess that could be Trouba but ideally it's Miller who could be a victim of a short term numbers game

Top 10 starting G - probably not Igor yet, but could be.
Gathering elite talent is the toughest part of a rebuild. The Rangers have done a pretty good job of checking that box. What the organization really needs right now is more and better depth. Both were sadly lacking last year.

Fortunately, those are the easiest things to add.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I've said this before and didn't get much of a response but what does Kyle Palmieri get on his next deal? He's played in the NYC area for the last 6 years and he plays both wings. He had a down year last year with 21 points in 51 games but NJ was horrible and his role with the Islanders fluctuated. Could the Rangers lure him in on a 2-3 year deal at $3-3.5m per season? He's the type of guy who could slide up and down the line-up and win battles in the corners.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
  • Kravstov, Jones and 2022 #1 for Larkin
  • Sign Suter 2 years $4MM AAV
  • Sign Coleman 4 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Sign Nosek 2 years $1.75MM AAV
  • Resign Buch 4 years $5.5MM AAV
  • Resign Smith 2 years $1MM AAV
  • Resign Chyitl 3 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Resign Shesh 5 years $5MM AAV
  • Trade Strome to recoup some assets sent in the Larkin deal.
  • Extend Zib 5 years $7.5MM AAV
  • See if Fox will extend 8 years $8MM AAV
  • Howden selected in expansion draft
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Coleman
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh
Geo/vet backup if he's dealt

This works with the cap? That seems lik ea lot of new money coming in, with basically none going out?

Reactions: leetch99

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
I've said this before and didn't get much of a response but what does Kyle Palmieri get on his next deal? He's played in the NYC area for the last 6 years and he plays both wings. He had a down year last year with 21 points in 51 games but NJ was horrible and his role with the Islanders fluctuated. Could the Rangers lure him in on a 2-3 year deal at $3-3.5m per season? He's the type of guy who could slide up and down the line-up and win battles in the corners.

I think he gets way more than that easy. His agent probably pushes Kreider as a comp - Same age, Kreider has 116 goals in 325 games vs. Palmieri's 112 in 332 over the last 5 years. Palmieri's next deal will push $6MM

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
He had a down year but a great playoffs. He'll get paid.

Reactions: NYR94

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Keep Lindgren and Fox together for the next 10 years. Play them 25-30 minutes a game

If the coaching staff can't figure out how to split the remaining 30 minutes, or if the players making up the bottom4 on D can't get produce decent 15 minutes per pair, we have problems that splitting the top pair will not fix
This is how you turn Ryan Lindgren into Dan Girardi reallll quick.

Reactions: Fitzy

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
He's a really good scorer. Like you said he had a down year. Should be a lot of teams interested in him if they're smart. Imagine him playing on a line with McDavid or Panarin.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
This is how you turn Ryan Lindgren into Dan Girardi reallll quick.

Yeah we are trying to build a team that doesn't have to ride players into the ground.

It's one thing to play a finesse dman big minutes, another to do so with Lindgren.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I was referring to Winnipeg which was brought up in the post I was quoting...

I said earlier he most likely wont come here bc he is not a big city type of person off the ice...

He is not, I got this vibe as well. That said, for us small town folks, even Buffalo feels like a big city.

Suter shouldn't be all or nothing. McNabb and others out there are also fine options, he just checks a lot of the boxes is all. Won't be the end of the world if they have to go elsewhere.

Reactions: CLW and bleedblue94

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He wouldn't really be on the 'third pairing'

His overall responsibilities would be greater than Miller's he'd just be partnered with someone not named Trouba most of the time for balance purposes.

If Miller improves a bit more he likely would become our 3LD….and really I think we all should want Miller to do that.

IMO the Rangers need a change of identity. We are too easy a team to play against and bringing in Suter does nothing for us in that regard. We need bigger and meaner players who can play. Looking again at teams that go deep they have real beef on the blue line. In that regard we have Trouba with Schneider and maybe Robertson coming and yeah the small but combative Lindgren.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think it's plausible that Lundkvist if kept is not as green as Miller was last year, sort of how Kravtsov looked in the NHL immediately compared to how Kakko and Lafreniere did. Quite honestly Jones looked pretty composed right out of the gate. And I assume Miller himself looks a little more experienced. I really don't even believe the Rangers need a vet LD as long as they can sign Smith or similar cheaply and short term.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Miller improves a bit more he likely would become our 3LD….and really I think we all should want Miller to do that.

IMO the Rangers need a change of identity. We are too easy a team to play against and bringing in Suter does nothing for us in that regard. We need bigger and meaner players who can play. Looking again at teams that go deep they have real beef on the blue line. In that regard we have Trouba with Schneider and maybe Robertson coming and yeah the small but combative Lindgren.

Suter is certainly far more physical than Jones, Miller, Reunanen, and Robertson are at present.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think it's plausible that Lundkvist if kept is not as green as Miller was last year, sort of how Kravtsov looked in the NHL immediately compared to how Kakko and Lafreniere did. Quite honestly Jones looked pretty composed right out of the gate. And I assume Miller himself looks a little more experienced. I really don't even believe the Rangers need a vet LD as long as they can sign Smith or similar cheaply and short term.

Jones was treated like a newborn calf in terms of when he was sent out there to play, and rightfully so since he's still not NHL level yet.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
This works with the cap? That seems lik ea lot of new money coming in, with basically none going out?

If I did my math right lol. They would need to move Geo and sign a vet back up for sub $1MM it looks like. Basically with the bonus cushion overage they'd need to include on the cap would be right up against the cap with 2 extra Fs and 1 extra D.

They flip Geo with a cheap vet back up they'd have $1MM in space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad