Speculation: Roster Building Thread IX (2021 Offseason Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If I did my math right lol. They would need to move Geo and sign a vet back up for sub $1MM it looks like. Basically with the bonus cushion overage they'd need to include on the cap would be right up against the cap with 2 extra Fs and 1 extra D.

They flip Geo with a cheap vet back up they'd have $1MM in space

it works for this season, but 14M would have to sign Zib, Fox and a raise to Kakko.. MIGHT be doable depending how many years they give Fox. I think Chytil at 3M+ is too high for 3 years however. Take him down to 2.5 for 2-3 years and I think thats more realistic of what he would get

Also, if you're playing Coleman on the 3rd line, might be a better idea to sign Goodrow who will come in cheaper that Coleman instead, save some money there too.

Its kinda doable what you have

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If he was healthy and if he wasn't 29...

He has missed a lot of time in the past several years and is hitting the age where players start to decline. It would be a risky move and I think people are remembering Tarasenko of the past and not taking into account more recent issues
He’s only missed any significant time the past two seasons, not several.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
it works for this season, but 14M would have to sign Zib, Fox and a raise to Kakko.. MIGHT be doable depending how many years they give Fox. I think Chytil at 3M+ is too high for 3 years however. Take him down to 2.5 for 2-3 years and I think thats more realistic of what he would get

Also, if you're playing Coleman on the 3rd line, might be a better idea to sign Goodrow who will come in cheaper that Coleman instead, save some money there too.

Its kinda doable what you have

Yeah I was going a bit over on some of the RFA/UFA deals a bit. Like you said Chytil could come in around $1MM less same with Suter. The Zib extension would be about $2.2MM more than he's making now. That will be covered almost completely by the Lundqvist buyout coming off the books. Unless Kakko breaks out this season, I don't think his 2nd contract will be bad.

The big question mark is Fox.

Also in my calculations is ADA being bought out.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Yeah we are trying to build a team that doesn't have to ride players into the ground.

It's one thing to play a finesse dman big minutes, another to do so with Lindgren.
On to of the fact that big minute munching doesn't really happen anymore. I was surprised that even in the playoffs the top defenseman on cup winners don't log as much time as I'd have expected. Keith only logged so much because their best bottom pair dman was the corpse of Michal Rozsival. Depth matters more.

2015 Hawks

Regular -
Keith - 25:34
Seabrook - 22:11
Hjalmarsson - 21:53

Playoffs -
Keith - 31:07
Seabrook - 26:17
Hjalmarsson - 26:02

2016 Pens

Regular -
Letang - 26:57
Daley - 20:27
Maatta - 19:58

Playoffs -
Letang - 28:53
Daley - 21:31
Dumoulin - 21:31

2017 Pens

Regular -
Letang - 25:31
Hainsey - 21:00
Dumoulin - 20:33

Playoffs -
Dumoulin - 21:59
Hainsey - 21:07
Maatta - 20:37

2018 Caps

Regular -
Carlson - 24:47
Orlov - 23:08
Niskanen - 22:36

Playoffs -
Carlson - 25:38
Niskanen - 25:23
Orlov - 24:12

2019 Blues

Regular -
Pietrangelo - 24:05
Parayko - 22:47
Bouwmeester - 20:44

Playoffs -
Pietrangelo - 25:45
Parayko - 25:07
Bouwmeester - 23:30

2020 Lightning

Regular -
Hedman - 24:04
McDonagh - 20:42
Sergachev - 20:22

Playoffs -
Hedman - 26:28
McDonagh - 24:16
Sergachev - 22:37

2021 Lightning

Regular -
Hedman - 25:03
Sergachev - 21:58
McDonagh - 21:54

Playoffs -
Hedman - 24:42
McDonagh - 22:50
Sergachev - 21:52

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Jones was treated like a newborn calf in terms of when he was sent out there to play, and rightfully so since he's still not NHL level yet.

Looked fine while playing the same minutes that Hajek, Bitetto usually get.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
  • Kravstov, Jones and 2022 #1 for Larkin
  • Sign Suter 2 years $4MM AAV
  • Sign Coleman 4 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Sign Nosek 2 years $1.75MM AAV
  • Resign Buch 4 years $5.5MM AAV
  • Resign Smith 2 years $1MM AAV
  • Resign Chyitl 3 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Resign Shesh 5 years $5MM AAV
  • Trade Strome to recoup some assets sent in the Larkin deal.
  • Extend Zib 5 years $7.5MM AAV
  • See if Fox will extend 8 years $8MM AAV
  • Howden selected in expansion draft
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Coleman
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh
Geo/vet backup if he's dealt

I love it all, except for the Larkin deal.. Why are we adding Jones to Kravy and the 15th? It has been discussed many times. Its Nils/Kravy and the 15th for Larkin. If its Jones the 15th and some lesser prospect im all over it.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Looked fine while playing the same minutes that Hajek, Bitetto usually get.

This is true.

I'm of the opinion, and have been for a while, that Bitteto is at the level of a mid pairing AHLer, and that Hajek is only ECHL level.

Frankly, Libor should never have been out there this season.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He's not signing for league minimum.

I agree....10 spread over two seasons likely be his minimum . I dunno....he sure sounds like something we could use if we can afford him and don't lose any assets . Letting Jones and Robertson cook for 2 years in the A won't hurt but I expect one will likely be moved at some point...Jones or Robertson...who knows ?

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'm wondering if we should take a chance on someone like Monahan... Honestly probably not, but hell we've had some pretty damn good success with trading for former 1st round picks down the middle (Zibanejad, now Strome even though we're trying to upgrade)

Reactions: NYRangers16

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
this is actually a very reasonable list when you disregard the egregious criteria hockey fans have for someone being "good"

I'd say the Rangers, right now, have most of this list.

Elite 1c - Mika of last year is not this but Mika of the year prior, for sure, is

Elite winger - Panarin

Two other top line wingers - Kreider and Buchnevich, Kakko and Laf will very likely fall into this category soon

Top-line center to play behind elite center - I personally think this is Chytil but I can see the disagreement. I also think HF is extraordinarily off base in their evaluations of "top line" v.s. "top 6" talent.

Two more top 6 forwards - Kakko and Laf

Elite no 1 D - Fox

A second no 1 D - I think Lindgren is on the border here because his offense is lacking but I certainly think his play driving is at least top pair quality.

Top pair D to anchor a strong second pair - this should be Trouba but likely Lindgren is more of the answer here.

Top pairing caliber D to to crush soft minutes - not sure about this one, I guess that could be Trouba but ideally it's Miller who could be a victim of a short term numbers game

Top 10 starting G - probably not Igor yet, but could be.

I don't consider Mika to be the level of 1C being discussed in that article.

Also don't think Kreider and Buch fall into the "two other top line wingers," category. Buch is borderline... maybe if he keeps his development going.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I wonder what number Parise would be looking at. I'd be looking to add him as well. He's got a lot of elements we really need: tenacity, volume shooting, experience, a grinder's mentality. I know we're flush with wingers but having Parise as an option to swap into the top six or 2nd PP unit while mostly stabilizing the fourth or third line would be great at the right price, I think.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
This is true.

I'm of the opinion, and have been for a while, that Bitteto is at the level of a mid pairing AHLer, and that Hajek is only ECHL level.

Bitteto was actually servicable, not that we should be relying on him. He was brought in to be exposed in the expansion draft.

Reactions: Fitzy

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I love it all, except for the Larkin deal.. Why are we adding Jones to Kravy and the 15th? It has been discussed many times. Its Nils/Kravy and the 15th for Larkin. If its Jones the 15th and some lesser prospect im all over it.

I had dropped this years first and included the 2022 #1, to offset the value in that tradeoff I included Jones.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Bitteto was actually servicable, not that we should be relying on him. He was brought in to be exposed in the expansion draft.

I agree to an extent- but I think he was serviceable in the way Kampfer is/was, which is as an AHL defenseman who can play 3rd pairing minutes in a real pinch.

When we had enough guys out such that Bitteto had to play on the second pairing it was a distaster.

Reactions: NYRangers16

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
  • Kravstov, Jones and 2022 #1 for Larkin
  • Sign Suter 2 years $4MM AAV
  • Sign Coleman 4 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Sign Nosek 2 years $1.75MM AAV
  • Resign Buch 4 years $5.5MM AAV
  • Resign Smith 2 years $1MM AAV
  • Resign Chyitl 3 years $3.5MM AAV
  • Resign Shesh 5 years $5MM AAV
  • Trade Strome to recoup some assets sent in the Larkin deal.
  • Extend Zib 5 years $7.5MM AAV
  • See if Fox will extend 8 years $8MM AAV
  • Howden selected in expansion draft
Laff - Zib - Kakko
Panarin - Larkin - Buch
Kreider - Chytil - Coleman
Nosek - Rooney- Barron
Gauthier/Blackwell

Lindgren - Fox
Miller - Trouba
Suter - Lundkvist
Smith

Shesh
Geo/vet backup if he's dealt
You would need 90-95 million dollars in Cap space in 23-24 season to run that club with basically that same roster listed there . That would include bonus moneys and operating money. I don't think the Cap moves up much before that . My math might be off a bit....but I think I am close .

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
This is true.

The third pair was not very good, yet again the names being brought up are not third pair defenders. For ~12-14 mins a game they don't need to import Suter or whatever, they can use Jones, maybe Robertson. If not someone like Smith who can still play the LD.

The discussion has turned from being about adding in a vet LD to help transition a rookie on the 3rd pair, into Miller and Lundkvist are on the third pair, and maybe not just for next year, now we are up to two years for this vet LD.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
I had dropped this years first and included the 2022 #1, to offset the value in that tradeoff I included Jones.

Ahh gotcha, honestly id rather just keep it this years pick and one of kravy/nils.

I know hopefully our first the next year will be in the late 20's but next years draft is supposed to be alot deeper and better talent wise than this years. I believe that we want that pick next year to ultimately be in the jones level. I wouldnt want to trade a talented player over drafting someone this year we HOPE can be on par with jones level talent.

NYRangers16

Oct 23, 2010
Hell's Kitchen
I agree to an extent- but I think he was serviceable in the way Kampfer is/was, which is as an AHL defenseman who can play 3rd pairing minutes in a real pinch.

When we had enough guys out such that Bitteto had to play on the second pairing it was a distaster.

Agreed, would never rely on him for more than that.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

I love this dude saying this as if it takes insider info to make this post.

Just based on the info that's leaked anyone can make this prediction. Buffalo asking for a ton, likely to get less than people think they will, it will come out that not many teams made serious offers. Ducks and Rangers have two of the best prospect pools and have expressed interest. Literally anyone paying even a little bit of attention could tweet this, no sources needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad