Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
you guys are exhausting with these playoffs lol. you would think the Rangers are the most pathetic team in NHL history and not just a very young team with obvious flaws. it's like you want to hate your own team.

Completely, 100% agree. Have found this infuriating for years.
This is the only part of the physicality is why we suck nonsense I buy. To defend in the modern NHL you need to obstruct. You need to interfere in skating lanes. And you don't need to be big to do it........Nick Leddy is great at this bullshit and he's 6 feet at best. But both AV and Quinn seem to absolutely detest it.

It is the way to defend in the league. I know it's awful to watch but like 25 other f***ing teams do it for a reason.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
What’s goes on in the head of Ola, you might wonder?

(a) Trade NYR’s 1st in 2021 to Vegas for Keegan Kolesar, Ryan Reeves and a 2025 4th.

(b) Trade our 3rd in 2022 for Boko Imama.

(c) Pick up Dylan McIlrath on waivers.

(d) Bring up Mason Geertsen

Opening night we play Washington, and start with the following 5:
Reeves-Kolesar-Imama
Geertsen-McIlrath

Yay or nay?
LMAO....can they play back to back and have them in a Bruin and or Islander game as well ?

Reactions: Ola

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think poor coaching/preparation had much more to do with it than "toughness."

I'm 10000% on board with adding some more lean and sandpaper, I was last off season and have been vocal on how team is way too homogenous but yeah, the toughness obsession which is being echo'd here (to be fair, its really by one guy) has gone far beyond being exhausting.
Thank you. It’s a systemic issue that gets fixed by coaching emphasizing pressure and taking away space from your opponents in five-man units. The team isn’t even small; they have plenty of size, speed, and skill since that was Gorton’s MO. Their main issue was being the youngest team in the league and having their toughest guys all out when Wilson decided to be a sociopath.

I don’t mind getting players with track records of playing a fast-paced, forechecking style, but some of the calls for roster moves are hilariously over the top.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
You cannot keep everyone. That is certainly true. But some names are not getting moved. Kakko is one of them. And Miller is another.

Who they don't want to trade is one of Lundqvist or Schneider. And chances are the former gets moved. Who they don't want to trade is one of Buch or Kravstov. And the likelihood is that one of them gets moved. I think that Kakko and Miller are in your list of untouchables for them. They were before and I doubt Drury sees it that much differently than his predecessor.

The NMCs are not the reason that Trouba is not being moved. The Isles games are.

I dont know its been reported by Brooks (and others) that Kakko is on the list of "dont want to be moved". The only real 3 untouchables are Laf, Fox and Shesterkin plus Panarin/Zibanejad I would think for obvious reasons.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
High end skill still wins in the playoffs. Its the main reason why the Rangers should be looking to acquire Eichel, assuming they are comfortable with the injury.

Panarin, Eichel, Mika & Fox is a core that can match up with any teams top guns. As long as you have elite players like that, you can figure out the rest of the roster fairly easily

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I dont know its been reported by Brooks (and others) that Kakko is on the list of "dont want to be moved". The only real 3 untouchables are Laf, Fox and Shesterkin plus Panarin/Zibanejad I would think for obvious reasons.
Brooks was also reporting that they should include Lafreniere in a package for Eichel. Guess we choose to believe when it is written.

Lafreniere, Shesterkin, Miller, Kakko & Fox are not being moved. CAN they be? Sure. Just about anyone can. But there are no realistic scenarios where they are moved.

Reactions: pld459666

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Brooks was also reporting that they should include Lafreniere in a package for Eichel. Guess we choose to believe when it is written.

Lafreniere, Shesterkin, Miller, Kakko & Fox are not being moved. CAN they be? Sure. Just about anyone can. But there are no realistic scenarios where they are moved.

There is still a tier of players who wont be moved and there will be players who will at least be talked about is what I was getting at. The tier who absolutely will not be moved are Panarin, Lafraniere, Fox, and Shesterkin. Then Kakko/Miller in the 2nd tier.. Then guys like Chytil, Buchnevich, Kravtsov, then Strome etc

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This toughness bullshit, or lack of it, is why we aren't in the playoffs and got railroaded by Tom Wilson and embarrassed for the weak team that we are.
That made Panarin, Shesterkin and Trouba miss 10 games? Or Mika to be affected for Covid for the first 20 or so games? Facinating.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Largely evidenced by every single playoff game so far.

Legitimately, i don't think I have ever seen such physical hockey in decades.
Lion Hound...it will be interesting to see if the Habs go at the leafs and the media darlings Matthews and Marner /Nylander and JT the same way . I can just hear some of them TSN biased Leaf announcers going on about it the next day if it is hot and heavy . I was kind of surprised that the refs have let some of the stuff go so far in the playoffs considering the media fall out over the Ranger /Wilson event . I thought they would call EVERYTHING !!!

Reactions: Lion Hound

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We can improve our toughness quotient simply by changing the way we play. You can see that it's been coached out by Quinn. Our guys go out of their way not to hit people. Kreider is the most maddening in that respect, but it's pervasive throughout the lineup.
A coach that was preaching north-south hockey was also coaching players go to out of their way not to hit people?

Tell me, this REALLY makes sense to you??

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
1 - High end skill still wins in the playoffs. Its the main reason why the Rangers should be looking to acquire Eichel, assuming they are comfortable with the injury.

2 Panarin, Eichel, Mika & Fox is a core that can match up with any teams top guns. As long as you have elite players like that, you can figure out the rest of the roster fairly easily

1 - $10 million per year
2 - see Toronto if the “rest of the roster is fairly” easy to assemble. I get finding skill is tough yet building a championship team isn’t easy.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is still a tier of players who wont be moved and there will be players who will at least be talked about is what I was getting at. The tier who absolutely will not be moved are Panarin, Lafraniere, Fox, and Shesterkin. Then Kakko/Miller in the 2nd tier.. Then guys like Chytil, Buchnevich, Kravtsov, then Strome etc
Ok. You believe that Kakko and Miller are 2nd tier guys. Once I realize that you have established that, further attempts to make you see logic are just going to be futile.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
First rounds usually are a little more piss and vinegar.

Guys and teams tend to settle a bit more after while still being ornery

I feel like every game I watched so far was a mimic of the game prior. Lightning/Panthers was awesome! They were knocking the hell out of each other. Very entertaining. Very fast paced hockey, and was more physical then I felt either team would be.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
you guys are exhausting with these playoffs lol. you would think the Rangers are the most pathetic team in NHL history and not just a very young team with obvious flaws. it's like you want to hate your own team.

This is the only part of the physicality is why we suck nonsense I buy. To defend in the modern NHL you need to obstruct. You need to interfere in skating lanes. And you don't need to be big to do it........Nick Leddy is great at this bullshit and he's 6 feet at best. But both AV and Quinn seem to absolutely detest it.

It is the way to defend in the league. I know it's awful to watch but like 25 other f***ing teams do it for a reason.
We were privy to a LOT of it in the last few games against some of those clubs in our division especially the Bruins and Caps /Isles

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

When did he do that?

Because he's been pretty adamantly against that from what he's written recently.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
We already have a young Landeskog in Lafreniere

I have not seen that physicality in his game in his younger 1 season of his career, but he should add that element. he was this in juniors. needs to get stronger this offseason while not losing his speed.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Lion Hound...it will be interesting to see if the Habs go at the leafs and the media darlings Matthews and Marner /Nylander and JT the same way . I can just hear some of them TSN biased Leaf announcers going on about it the next day if it is hot and heavy . I was kind of surprised that the refs have let some of the stuff go so far in the playoffs considering the media fall out over the Ranger /Wilson event . I thought they would call EVERYTHING !!!

Im looking forward to that series. I totally agree on the refs. I was stunned at some of the stuff they let go so far. Players were practically fighting after every whistle and they let them sort it out. I loved it.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad