Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
1 - $10 million per year
2 - see Toronto if the “rest of the roster is fairly” easy to assemble. I get finding skill is tough yet building a championship team isn’t easy.

Toronto has 3 forwards making 11 mil per year and as flawed as they are, theyre still the favorite to come out of the North Division and have the 3rd best odds to win the Cup, only behind TB & COL.

The point im trying to make is that teams identify a core of 4-5 players that they build around and the rest of the team is relatively interchangeable. Im a believer that Panarin/Eichel/Mika/Fox (and Lafreniere down the road) can be that core.

Reactions: NYSPORTS

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Toronto has 3 forwards making 11 mil per year and as flawed as they are, theyre still the favorite to come out of the North Division and have the 3rd best odds to win the Cup, only behind TB & COL.

The point im trying to make is that teams identify a core of 4-5 players that they build around and the rest of the team is relatively interchangeable. Im a believer that Panarin/Eichel/Mika/Fox (and Lafreniere down the road) can be that core.
And where are you coming up with money for a Fox? And then the money needed for a Lafreniere and Kakko and Miller as they come of ECLs?

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

how are you going to pay them all? 50% of your cap will be tied up in 5 players. Upwards of 70% of your cap will be tied up in 8 players. You can’t live like this.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Brooks was also reporting that they should include Lafreniere in a package for Eichel. Guess we choose to believe when it is written.

Lafreniere, Shesterkin, Miller, Kakko & Fox are not being moved. CAN they be? Sure. Just about anyone can. But there are no realistic scenarios where they are moved.

Link please. I must've missed that.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I did as well.

I think I remember seeing him speculating that Buffalo would probably ask for him, but nothing that indicates that he (or the Rangers) would offer him.
I thought that there was an article that said that they Rangers would face that tough choice if they wanted him. Whatever. Neither he nor Kakko are going anywhere.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
And where are you coming up with money for a Fox? And then the money needed for a Lafreniere and Kakko and Miller as they come of ECLs?

If the Rangers are smart theyll try to get Fox signed for 8 years ~7.5 mil per. As for Kakko/Laf/Miller, by the time they would be reaching UFA status, Panarin/Eichel/Trouba/Kreider will all be near the ends of their contracts. You can bridge the kids until then.

And not for nothing, the whole point of having elite talent on ELCs is to try to win with them before they become expensive and tough decisions need to be made.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If the Rangers are smart theyll try to get Fox signed for 8 years ~7.5 mil per. As for Kakko/Laf/Miller, by the time they would be reaching UFA status, Panarin/Eichel/Trouba/Kreider will all be near the ends of their contracts. You can bridge the kids until then.

And not for nothing, the whole point of having elite talent on ELCs is to try to win with them before they become expensive and tough decisions need to be made.

That never works out well.

Eichel is a bad add no matter how you slice it. He's more of the same.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
A coach that was preaching north-south hockey was also coaching players go to out of their way not to hit people?

Tell me, this REALLY makes sense to you??
You can preach a north/south play style without emphasizing hitting. Just look at the play on the ice. You can’t REALLY (see what I did there, I’m a keyboard badass) think that Quinn was coaching the players to finish their checks.

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
I am anti-eichel. Wouldnt even take him for free at this point with that neck injury and contract.
But other than that he just doesnt impress me. Hes never won and hes had talent around him. Yet he wears the C. Overhyped and overrated. He needs to go to a team where he can be second fiddle and at 10m per... well thats not robin money thats batman money and hes Robin not batman.
He legitimately reminds me of Brad Richards. Loved Beaver, but he wasnt a franchise player. Neither is Eichel.

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Ive had Buch in many trade proposals.

With that said — it sucks to deal him because he is getting better every shift he plays in this league. I am not quite sure if we would be selling high on him. He can still become a lot better at carrying the puck in traffic and he can also fire the puck better.

We can look at age, but I think that is a big mistake in relation to development. Best thing is to look at the curve. Where was he last season and where has he been this year? It’s nothing revolutionary, but he is improved for sure. Going from an insecure top 6 winger to an established top 6 winger. Shooting a little better, stronger physically, more focused around the net.

There are many players like this, Ziba is IMO improved the last two years compared to when we got him. Blake Wheeler took large large strides in his late 20s early 30s. Zuccarello.
He had a great year. But let’s not forget it was a short one as well. Buch as been known to stay off the scoreboard for streaks that are almost as long as kreider. I love Buch, but I’m not calling him a consistent 70 pt RW just yet. Need to see how he looks through the rigors of an 82 game year and see if he can keep the offensive up. I’m very impressed with his defensive play and penalty killing and his attention to detail in his game. I also like that he’s developed an edge to his play. He’s definitely got better every year he’s been a ranger. That should be the most eye popping stat. That’s exactly what you want in a prospect. Home run in the 3rd round for sure

Reactions: leetch99

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
He is 20 and has not even grown into his body. And that he was able to do all that with a year that was largely described as a dumpster fire under Granato, no AHL time and no camp is pretty amazing.

Not sure what big piece that you are looking for, but this team is clearly built with the strength at wings and D. Moving a 20 year old that just did what he did is not what you want to do. For the right deal, virtually anyone can go, but he is probably not being viewed by Drury as a piece to move. To consider moving him, it would need to be a quite a haul coming back. And one one named Eichel.
Imo someone good is going to have to move for a young top 6 center at some point. Mika and Strome aren’t kids and won’t be at this level long enough to span the window the team should have with them. I don’t want it to be Miller either. But we won’t get that type of player for spare parts either.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov

Is a great 3rd line.

Need to improve on Strome.

KAM+ for Hertl and send Strome packing for draft capital to continue fueling the jet.

I don't hate Miller. But I'm not afraid of moving him either.
Don’t like it one bit. Going to have to give up a lot for Hertl and he’s looking at a substantial raise the following year

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
I did as well.

I think I remember seeing him speculating that Buffalo would probably ask for him, but nothing that indicates that he (or the Rangers) would offer him.

This was all conjecture by Larry pre-The Wilson Statement...now he is in the loop...

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I always get a kick when people say Chytil isn't a center... As if it hasn't been his position in this league since he broke into it lmao.
Me too. If his destiny was at wing, they would have moved him there by now. They were ample opportunities when players where out but Fil still being put at center. He needs to get better at faceoffs and if the rangers plan on running a 3rd line of Kreider-Chytil— that 3rd fwd better have some playmaking ability. Fil likes to shoot and shoot from everywhere, Kreids and him would do well with their big bodies and good board play down low. But we need a playmaking guy on that RW that can be. The straw that stirs the drink. It’s possible it could be Kravtsov but I’m not sure. I think Blackwell is also going to get a shot there

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I really don't see the value in trading Chytil. If for some reason you really don't like Chytil you still extend him and hope he becomes better trade bait then just throwing him away in some bigger deal. We need 200ft centers. We don't need Eichel or anything like that with the wingers that will be on this team long term. Chytil isn't strong defensively yet but at least he tries which is more then we can say for Strome or Eichel. Panarin is the puck carrier and distributor and Laf will probably in that same type of mold. Kakko loves to posses the puck. We need centers with speed and that get to the dirty areas. That is what Chytil does, and will hopefully get better at in the future. He just needs the game to slow down a bit for him and he will fit in perfectly as a 2c for this team for what should be a very long time. Towards the end of the season the man was getting scoring after scoring chance. That doesn't happen by having low hockey iq. He's close to breaking out and he's definitely worth the risk of hanging on to and seeing if he can put it all together as opposed to him being a throw-in in some deal. If Chytil gets traded and doesn't bring back an already out of the box 200ft 2c with a great contract we're just trading for the sake of trading playstation style.
I defend Fil more then almost anyone, but Eichel is better defensively. His speed makes him excellent on the back check. Just saying. Jack ain’t going to win a selke any time soon but he’s not a bad defender

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I am anti-eichel. Wouldnt even take him for free at this point with that neck injury and contract.
But other than that he just doesnt impress me. Hes never won and hes had talent around him. Yet he wears the C. Overhyped and overrated. He needs to go to a team where he can be second fiddle and at 10m per... well thats not robin money thats batman money and hes Robin not batman.
He legitimately reminds me of Brad Richards. Loved Beaver, but he wasnt a franchise player. Neither is Eichel.

The Contract and neck injury are legitimate concerns, but claiming Eichel is a glorified Brad Richards is crazy.

And saying hes "not a winner", is so shortsighted. I mean just look at the clown show Buffalo has been during his entire tenure, and look at what happened to O'Reilly when he got out. He also "wasnt a winner", until he was.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008

They are going to have a real problem resigning Reilly and Hyman

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
how are you going to pay them all? 50% of your cap will be tied up in 5 players. Upwards of 70% of your cap will be tied up in 8 players. You can’t live like this.
I mean, it’s going to happen sooner or later. Teams like Tampa, the leafs, etc one your good enough your going to be up against the cap sooner or later. Can’t have a ton of room forever. They just have to be smart how they distribute it.
If the price is right, and the injury has no long term affects, I would love to trade for Eichel. Despite what many think he would be a tremendous add for the rangers for the next 5 years. I think a motivated Eichel fresh off a trade to a playoff bound team would make people eat a lot of crow for posting silly things about him. He has panarin level game breaking ability

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
They are going to have a real problem resigning Reilly and Hyman

Part of that is the cost of doing business as a Cup Contender. It also doesnt help that they paying 2 30+ defenseman(Muzzin/Brodie) a combined 11 million for 3 more years with NMCs. The Kerfoot contract is pretty ugly too

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Me too. If his destiny was at wing, they would have moved him there by now. They were ample opportunities when players where out but Fil still being put at center. He needs to get better at faceoffs and if the rangers plan on running a 3rd line of Kreider-Chytil— that 3rd fwd better have some playmaking ability. Fil likes to shoot and shoot from everywhere, Kreids and him would do well with their big bodies and good board play down low. But we need a playmaking guy on that RW that can be. The straw that stirs the drink. It’s possible it could be Kravtsov but I’m not sure. I think Blackwell is also going to get a shot there

You say he is a center and yet you then say we need a 3rd forward with play making ability. Isn't that what the center should be. How about we get a center with play making ability and move FC to the wing. That would make it a lot easier then trying to compensate for his shortcomings as a center. FC to me is like PG that rather pull up and take a jump shot then passing to the open man. And please Blackwell should not be even mentioned on the 3rd line. Again the goal is to take a step up next year.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I thought that there was an article that said that they Rangers would face that tough choice if they wanted him. Whatever. Neither he nor Kakko are going anywhere.
The rangers offered a serious trade to the Sabres last offseason. We would not include the number 1 pick. No way they deal LaF for him now. They weren’t even offering him to start with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad