Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Chytil has the opportunity to work for THIS team at center. The Rangers moving forward, more than likely, are going to have 3-4 wingers who control play like a center in Panarin, Lafreniere, Kaako and Kravtsov. That means the center won't need to be the puck distributor which is where Chytil falters currently. If he can improve his face-offs and keep building his game to suit that support style but at center he will be fine.

The above is part of the reason I favor a guy like Danault, more than likely, over someone like Eichel. Someone who can better support the wingers but not break the bank.
Danault is a problem because he wants to be a top center, and likely wants to get paid like it. How will he handle being the 2c to mika, and even potentially someone like chytil.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Danault is a problem because he wants to be a top center, and likely wants to get paid like it. How will he handle being the 2c to mika, and even potentially someone like chytil.

I think what the Rangers would have to 'sell' him on is that he will get lots of opportunities in offensive situations with highly skilled wingers. Whether that is on a line with Kreider and Kaako or Panarin and Kravtsov or whoever is a fluid situation. The Rangers, as currently being built, do not have a defensive 3rd line and more than likely won't for a long time. They have too much offensive firepower. Will he be used against the other teams best players? Of course. So is every other top center in the league. Will he be use on the PK? Of course. But if he wants the opportunity to be put in that Kreijci-like role for the foreseeable future where he gets lots of minutes in all situations with quality players than NY is the spot for him.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

our 2C plays with Artemi Panarin and plays about a minute less than our 1C.

I highly highly doubt if Danault came here he would be upset that he's listed on "2nd line"

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't know enough about the rest of the league for the who's in return, but would absolutely trade Buch and Strome in a sell high mindset. Already have Buch's replacement in Kravstov, so anything in return should just be icing. $6M cap hit for Buch is earned, but also, like, stupid for a good, yet rarely game changing wing. Wouldmost likely handicap re-signing better players in the future.
There is a HUGE difference in wishing that Kravstov was Buchnevich's replacement and it actually being so. If you are very lucky, Kravstov arrives at Buchnevich's level in another 4 years. Or he never arrives at it at all.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I always get a kick when people say Chytil isn't a center... As if it hasn't been his position in this league since he broke into it lmao.
Which is fine, but if he doesn't get his faceoffs out of Kevin Hayes territory he is going to end up on the wing like Kevin Hayes.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
What’s goes on in the head of Ola, you might wonder?

(a) Trade NYR’s 1st in 2021 to Vegas for Keegan Kolesar, Ryan Reeves and a 2025 4th.

(b) Trade our 3rd in 2022 for Boko Imama.

(c) Pick up Dylan McIlrath on waivers.

(d) Bring up Mason Geertsen

Opening night we play Washington, and start with the following 5:
Reeves-Kolesar-Imama
Geertsen-McIlrath

Yay or nay?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Aside from winning faceoffs exactly what is he horrible at with the center position?
His metrics show solid 5v5 possession and defensive metrics, and he scores at a very high rate. And all of that is considering who his wingers have been.
Then there's the whole trending to a 40ish points season, despite having a serious injury, contracting Covid and having no power play time at all.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019

(a) Trade NYR’s 1st in 2021 to Vegas for Keegan Kolesar, Ryan Reeves and a 2025 4th.

Reeves-Kolesar-Imama
Geertsen-McIlrath

Yay or nay?

Givani Smith from the Wings would be another good option.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DyKL59ilLI

Reactions: Ola

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kreider-Chytil-Kravtsov

Is a great 3rd line.

Need to improve on Strome.

KAM+ for Hertl and send Strome packing for draft capital to continue fueling the jet.

I don't hate Miller. But I'm not afraid of moving him either.
Miller is a weird case for me because his overall year was good compared to expectations but not great overall. On the other hand, his defensive play the fist dozen or so game was, imo, by far the best any rookie d-man had looked for this team since I don’t know when.

If he can get back to that, moving him will be a huge mistake. But can he get back to that or was it adrenaline, opposing forwards not having their games going yet, or something else?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Miller is a weird case for me because his overall year was good compared to expectations but not great overall. On the other hand, his defensive play the fist dozen or so game was, imo, by far the best any rookie d-man had looked for this team since I don’t know when.

If he can get back to that, moving him will be a huge mistake. But can he get back to that or was it adrenaline, opposing forwards not having their games going yet, or something else?
Miller jumped straight to the NHL after a year in college. Couple that with hitting a rookie wall, and you get how the season ended. That wall came at the end of the season, but would have been right on par of where it should be in a regular season. Nothing to worry about here. Plus, he is nowhere near his physical maturity level and needs to grow into his body.

Reactions: pld459666

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Aside from winning faceoffs exactly what is he horrible at with the center position?
His metrics show solid 5v5 possession and defensive metrics, and he scores at a very high rate. And all of that is considering who his wingers have been.
I listed the reasons. Where are his astounding defensive metrics? He has a low hockey IQ.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Miller jumped straight to the NHL after a year in college. Couple that with hitting a rookie wall, and you get how the season ended. That wall came at the end of the season, but would have been right on par of where it should be in a regular season. Nothing to worry about here. Plus, he is nowhere near his physical maturity level and needs to grow into his body.
Ywah I get that and don’t want to move him at all but you do have to give to get a big piece, and the question imo is whether he can be or will be the shockingly effective player he was to start the season, or the very good for his age and experience player we saw after that but before he understandably hit a wall. If he can be that first player, his value and availability even for a big piece is a lot different for me

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
P

Reeves-Kolesar-Imama
Geertsen-McIlrath

Yay or nay?

Pretty sure this is tongue in cheek, but im almost positive Geersten will be on the main roster all year playing the role Ross Johnston does with NYI

Reactions: Ola

NYblades

Mar 9, 2004

He turned 21 only just 4 months ago. His body will mature and get stronger with a full off-season strengthening program.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Umm can we trade for Landeskog??

i would love him. one of the best power forwards in the league, fans would have a fit because it is the skilled guys that fight, why risk getting hurt, shallow soft fans. they must have never seen Messier or Graves play.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
We can't keep everyone. We need to identify the talents who are CLEARLY in the long term plans here and keep them. That list would be Panarin (signed), Zibanejad (#1 center), Lafraniere, Fox, and Shesterkin. I think anyone else should be available depending on who is coming back to us. The top of the "dont want to trade" would be Kakko, then you work your way down

Kreider and Trouba are also probably in the plans too because they are signed as well with NMCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad