Speculation: Roster Building Thread II (2021 Offseason) - “You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn”?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Ok here goes,

- we lose Howden at ED
- resign Smith at 1.2, Buch at 6.5
-sign Lundkvist, Matinook at 2.5?
- trade Strome for Soucy+
- trade for Hertl around Chytil/Jones/Gauthier

Laf Mika Buch
Pan Hertl Kakko
Krieds Barron Kratvsov
Martinook Blackwell Rooney
(Cheap rookie or vet)

Lindy Fox
Miller Trouba
Soucy Lundkvist
Smith

Reactions: Lundsanity30

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ywah I get that and don’t want to move him at all but you do have to give to get a big piece, and the question imo is whether he can be or will be the shockingly effective player he was to start the season, or the very good for his age and experience player we saw after that but before he understandably hit a wall. If he can be that first player, his value and availability even for a big piece is a lot different for me
He is 20 and has not even grown into his body. And that he was able to do all that with a year that was largely described as a dumpster fire under Granato, no AHL time and no camp is pretty amazing.

Not sure what big piece that you are looking for, but this team is clearly built with the strength at wings and D. Moving a 20 year old that just did what he did is not what you want to do. For the right deal, virtually anyone can go, but he is probably not being viewed by Drury as a piece to move. To consider moving him, it would need to be a quite a haul coming back. And one one named Eichel.

Reactions: haveandare

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Ok here goes,

- we lose Howden at ED
- resign Smith at 1.2, Buch at 6.5
-sign Lundkvist, Matinook at 2.5?
- trade Strome for Soucy+
- trade for Hertl around Chytil/Jones/Gauthier

Laf Mika Buch
Pan Hertl Kakko
Krieds Barron Kratvsov
Martinook Blackwell Rooney
(Cheap rookie or vet)

Lindy Fox
Miller Trouba
Soucy Lundkvist
Smith

This is close to what I had.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
We can't keep everyone. We need to identify the talents who are CLEARLY in the long term plans here and keep them. That list would be Panarin (signed), Zibanejad (#1 center), Lafraniere, Fox, and Shesterkin. I think anyone else should be available depending on who is coming back to us. The top of the "dont want to trade" would be Kakko, then you work your way down

Kreider and Trouba are also probably in the plans too because they are signed as well with NMCs
You cannot keep everyone. That is certainly true. But some names are not getting moved. Kakko is one of them. And Miller is another.

Who they don't want to trade is one of Lundqvist or Schneider. And chances are the former gets moved. Who they don't want to trade is one of Buch or Kravstov. And the likelihood is that one of them gets moved. I think that Kakko and Miller are in your list of untouchables for them. They were before and I doubt Drury sees it that much differently than his predecessor.

The NMCs are not the reason that Trouba is not being moved. The Isles games are.

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I really don't see the value in trading Chytil. If for some reason you really don't like Chytil you still extend him and hope he becomes better trade bait then just throwing him away in some bigger deal. We need 200ft centers. We don't need Eichel or anything like that with the wingers that will be on this team long term. Chytil isn't strong defensively yet but at least he tries which is more then we can say for Strome or Eichel. Panarin is the puck carrier and distributor and Laf will probably in that same type of mold. Kakko loves to posses the puck. We need centers with speed and that get to the dirty areas. That is what Chytil does, and will hopefully get better at in the future. He just needs the game to slow down a bit for him and he will fit in perfectly as a 2c for this team for what should be a very long time. Towards the end of the season the man was getting scoring after scoring chance. That doesn't happen by having low hockey iq. He's close to breaking out and he's definitely worth the risk of hanging on to and seeing if he can put it all together as opposed to him being a throw-in in some deal. If Chytil gets traded and doesn't bring back an already out of the box 200ft 2c with a great contract we're just trading for the sake of trading playstation style.

Reactions: bernmeister

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This toughness bullshit, or lack of it, is why we aren't in the playoffs and got railroaded by Tom Wilson and embarrassed for the weak team that we are.

I think poor coaching/preparation had much more to do with it than "toughness."

I'm 10000% on board with adding some more lean and sandpaper, I was last off season and have been vocal on how team is way too homogenous but yeah, the toughness obsession which is being echo'd here (to be fair, its really by one guy) has gone far beyond being exhausting.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
The reason we didnt make the playoffs is that Panarin missed 10 games for political reasons. It's also because our next wave of marquee players are just that--the next wave.

Regardless of who we add thus offseason (or subtract) Kakko and Lafreniere need to be handed as much of the reigns as they can handle--maybe a bit more. They're the whole point of the rebuild.

RosensRug

Oct 1, 2020
The reason we didnt make the playoffs is that Panarin missed 10 games for political reasons. It's also because our next wave of marquee players are just that--the next wave.

Regardless of who we add thus offseason (or subtract) Kakko and Lafreniere need to be handed as much of the reigns as they can handle--maybe a bit more. They're the whole point of the rebuild.

Also neither goaltender could stop a beachball the first month of the season... If we get a few more saves and Panarin doesn't take two weeks off maybe we're getting pumped by the pens right now.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
people want to spend more ufa money on insanely expensive wingers given the depth charts of this organization.

what is going on around here anymore...

Last edited:

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
I think poor coaching/preparation had much more to do with it than "toughness."

I'm 10000% on board with adding some more lean and sandpaper, I was last off season and have been vocal on how team is way too homogenous but yeah, the toughness obsession which is being echo'd here (to be fair, its really by one guy) has gone far beyond being exhausting.
We can improve our toughness quotient simply by changing the way we play. You can see that it's been coached out by Quinn. Our guys go out of their way not to hit people. Kreider is the most maddening in that respect, but it's pervasive throughout the lineup.

Many of our players wouldn't be able to get away with not playing physical on teams like the Bruins and Isles. I mean, just look at the Isles. Sure, their D is comprised of all big guys outside of Greene, but their F corps is not bigger than ours, yet is far more physical. Even if you took away the 4th line, those guys make sure they finish their checks. They also do those little interference things that, while technically not legal, are never called, and give a team a massive strategic advantage.

I'm sure we could also add some sandpaper to our roster, but I don't think that's the main problem here. Physicality, finishing your checks, and strategic interference are things that have been largely de-emphasized by our last two coaches. It's clearly an aspect that's needed in the modern NHL. The playoff teams in our division take advantage of the nuances of reffing. It's infuriating to watch as the fan of the Rangers. Tons of interference and holding not being called, but we're suckers to not adapt and level the playing field.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
We can improve our toughness quotient simply by changing the way we play. You can see that it's been coached out by Quinn. Our guys go out of their way not to hit people. Kreider is the most maddening in that respect, but it's pervasive throughout the lineup.

Many of our players wouldn't be able to get away with not playing physical on teams like the Bruins and Isles. I mean, just look at the Isles. Sure, their D is comprised of all big guys outside of Greene, but their F corps is not bigger than ours, yet is far more physical. Even if you took away the 4th line, those guys make sure they finish their checks. They also do those little interference things that, while technically not legal, are never called, and give a team a massive strategic advantage.

I'm sure we could also add some sandpaper to our roster, but I don't think that's the main problem here. Physicality, finishing your checks, and strategic interference are things that have been largely de-emphasized by our last two coaches. It's clearly an aspect that's needed in the modern NHL. The playoff teams in our division take advantage of the nuances of reffing. It's infuriating to watch as the fan of the Rangers. Tons of interference and holding not being called, but we're suckers to not adapt and level the playing field.

Completely, 100% agree. Have found this infuriating for years.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad