Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Look, what's the goal next year? Is the mandate going to be playoffs? I know Drury didn't commit to that publically but is it the internal mandate? If it is than for better or worse there is no way they hitch the wagon to chytil being the 2c, it's just not going to happen IF there is such a mandate.

THIS was the year to play around with ice time and combos to see if certain players could fill those long-term lineup slots, not the year to forcefeed minutes to certain players no matter what. We should be going into this summer with a clearer understanding of what these young players each is, not carrying the same questions about them as we did last summer. That is entirely on the coach and his superiors for not adjusting as the season went on to see what different roles guys could handle and excel at. Prior to the trade deadline I got shit from people for complaining Blackwell was still in the top 6, it's only a few games to boost his trade value they said, but there we were after the deadline still watching him get prime time with prime players instead of longer looks for some of our other guys to see if they meshed with a panarin type.

Quinn was handed a golden egg in some ways while panarin was out bc kreider and strome meshed and seemed to bring some different qualities out of each other, and suddenly strome wasn't always playing east west. It was literally there to leave zib with laf, strome with ck, and put chytil with panarin to see if the lineup could be stretched and give chytil a look in the expanded role with an elite player but nope, right back to the same nonsense we've seen for years.

Even after the deadline anyone that can do math knew this team wasn't making the playoffs, so why not change some roles and add dynamics to your player evaluations? Nope, same shit as the rest of the season.

The mismanagement of opportunities this year to help answer questions about players for the future is brutal.

Who knows what Dolan wants but the objective should still be first and foremost to find a young 1C.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He is RFA at years end. He has picked up his game considerably. Not a bad 3rd liner

Back 3-4 years ago one of our insiders on this board mentioned that the Rangers were keying in on him as a piece to a much larger deal. I think the organization knows him pretty well from scouting him. His price tag and age fit the team better than someone like Kassian. He isn't a heavyweight but I think they would be more interested in him.

Would the Oilers really consider moving Holloway?

A Holloway + Khaira for Buch deal kills (2) birds with (1) stone for the Rangers. They need a center prospect and a nice bottom-6 guy who can hit and play a hard-nosed game. Buch fits in well to help spread out Edmonton's offense and he is a superb 2-way winger. The Rangers just have too many young players pushing for wing spots.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Exit interviews today wew

Presumably if Quinn firing not announced today or tomorrow then he's staying.

Which just makes the whole Dolan blow up even more insane, cause Quinn is the first one who needs to go if you are unhappy with the team's development, not the GM.

Reactions: leetch99

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Which just makes the whole Dolan blow up even more insane, cause Quinn is the first one who needs to go if you are unhappy with the team's development, not the GM.

They may not see an opportunity to improve at that position right now though. Firing Quinn sounds good until we realize that Torts, Montgomery, Babcock and Gallant may not tickle their fancy at all.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Carp mentioned in his article he posted this morning that he thinks it’s 50/50 Quinn is fired (way to go out on a limb Rick lol)

But he also said that if Drury decides to keep Quinn that Quinn will probably be fired after the first losing streak next year

if that’s the case, there is zero reason to bring him back, just rip the bandaid off

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Carp mentioned in his article he posted this morning that he thinks it’s 50/50 Quinn is fired (way to go out on a limb Rick lol)

But he also said that if Drury decides to keep Quinn that Quinn will probably be fired after the first losing streak next year

if that’s the case, there is zero reason to bring him back, just rip the bandaid off

Right, carp threw a ton of words up and said nothing.

Brooks thinks hes out, FWIW.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Back 3-4 years ago one of our insiders on this board mentioned that the Rangers were keying in on him as a piece to a much larger deal. I think the organization knows him pretty well from scouting him. His price tag and age fit the team better than someone like Kassian. He isn't a heavyweight but I think they would be more interested in him.

Would the Oilers really consider moving Holloway?

A Holloway + Khaira for Buch deal kills (2) birds with (1) stone for the Rangers. They need a center prospect and a nice bottom-6 guy who can hit and play a hard-nosed game. Buch fits in well to help spread out Edmonton's offense and he is a superb 2-way winger. The Rangers just have too many young players pushing for wing spots.

Im not sure if Oilers wanna part with Holloway. He had a great year in Wisconsin. There have been talks between Oilers and Rangers for a few players. When Pululjarvi hit the skids there a few years ago, there was talk of a Lias Andersson for Pululjarvi. Im glad that trade did not happen. Last year there was mention of Kreider to Edmonton. What has happened with Kreider. He seemed to be such an important part of the Rangers team before

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
Who knows what Dolan wants but the objective should still be first and foremost to find a young 1C.
EVERYONE wants a young 1c, the first thing they need to decide is what is zibs long term future here. If he isnt here long term than it takes you one direction, if you ID him as a long term piece than it changes the game plan. My guess is he will be plan B and they will see if the Eichel thing can happen. If it does than zibs long term will not happen (unless they overpay for eichel to try to get buff to hold some salary which is extremely unlikely). Once you know these answers the rest starts to fall in place. A young 1c is extremely hard to acquire, and it is becoming kind of silly that people (not directed at you) are acting like the team can go to Wallgreens and just buy one. I think this board would puke and what it would actually cost for the player they want, and the only reason Eichel is even considered possible is a whirlwind of circumstances that MIGHT allow us to land him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Im not sure if Oilers wanna part with Holloway. He had a great year in Wisconsin. There have been talks between Oilers and Rangers for a few players. When Pululjarvi hit the skids there a few years ago, there was talk of a Lias Andersson for Pululjarvi. Im glad that trade did not happen. Last year there was mention of Kreider to Edmonton. What has happened with Kreider. He seemed to be such an important part of the Rangers team before

He had an up and down season, like most of the vets on this team apart from Panarin. He was nearly leading the league in PP goals and his net front presence is a HUGE weapon for this team but his physical game wasn't consistent enough 5v5. He is what he is, a 50-55 point power forward who feats on the PP. The issue being, with Panarin and Lafreniere both at LW, it cuts down his minutes moving forward.

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Sure, yet again I think these past couple days have shown that a lot more can happen than some people think.

Let me ask this, where does Kreider play should Panarin and Laff stay? Is he still top 6 even strength? Will the PP set-up change now?

If he does stay top 6 which one of Panarin or Laff is not?
The people that got fired the last couple of days had no control over their destiny. Kreider has a NTC and that is as big a difference as there can be.

Reactions: Off Sides

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Chytils putting up a 40 pt pace with no pp time and third line mins. He’s exactly what Drury is talking about. He’s miscast.

he’s a 3C on this team no pp time and expected to me more of a defensive player.

it’s not who he is. If he’s a 2C with PP time he’s most likely a 55 plus point player. Is that with us? May not be. Not with Strome here and or trading for a star center to compliment Mika.

I’d really like to see him in the 2C spot with pp time which is what we should have been doing THIS season. Seeing things like that but no Quinn Refused
After 3 years we still don't know whether he is a center or wing. His performance has been very inconsistent to say the least. Honestly he is not a great skater, his vision on the ice is not good and neither is his play making ability. Also he makes too many dumb passes that sets up odd man rushes. In any case the GM and President got fired this past week because Dolan wants to see more progress and move forward faster. Given that I extremely doubt we will see Chytil as a number 2 center for next season when we don't even know if that is his right position. Can't go into a season with this uncertainty.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Nothing is really wrong with him. He is super streaky, as he has always been. The team has a glut of wingers with higher potential. If the Rangers had never gotten LAF and Kakko, his value to the team would still be high. He put up 30 in 50, for about a 50 point season, which is not too different than any other season. His scoring just comes in clusters.

Dr. Ogrodnick

Jan 10, 2007

"I want to go in a different direction"
Before promoting the assistant GM that was here for the last 6 years and keeping the coach would be classic Cocaine James though.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Unreal pal, I cringe when I see his fat face
DF0D9CD3-87E5-4BBE-A078-EC78126FA34B.png

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
Nothing is really wrong with him. He is super streaky, as he has always been. The team has a glut of wingers with higher potential. If the Rangers had never gotten LAF and Kakko, his value to the team would still be high. He put up 30 in 50, for about a 50 point season, which is not too different than any other season. His scoring just comes in clusters.
Its very conceivable that if this was an 82 game schedule he would have gotten 30 goals which is nothing to gloss over. Yeah he is streaky but so are alot of guys on this team. And yes half the goals were on the PP but that is the goal to score on the PP. He is also the only one on the PP that stands in front of the net. Everyone else is shooting from the angles.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

He is injured now is he not?

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I would think. Its funny, in 2017, Kassian was great in the playoffs. It got him a sweet deal. Now he is invisible. I wonder if he is back on the blow. When he is on, he can skate, hit, score, etc. When he is not, he doesnt look engaged at all
WHOA... easy on the hard sell man!

Invisible, coke head???

Man do we need one of those (now that Dolan is “visible”)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad