Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
After 3 years we still don't know whether he is a center or wing. His performance has been very inconsistent to say the least. Honestly he is not a great skater, his vision on the ice is not good and neither is his play making ability. Also he makes too many dumb passes that sets up odd man rushes. In any case the GM and President got fired this past week because Dolan wants to see more progress and move forward faster. Given that I extremely doubt we will see Chytil as a number 2 center for next season when we don't even know if that is his right position. Can't go into a season with this uncertainty.

chytils not a good skater?

he’s a center a shoot first center (Mika was and is still to this day) but he’s a center.

what he’s not is any good defensively or any good at face offs. How much Covid and the hand hurt him is anyone’s guess but he was probably our best center before he got hurt.

this kid needs to be on a scoring line he’s 21 he should be playing with some veteran players. Asking him to be a 3C next to teenagers and be good defensively and somehow score more than 50 pts with the mins he gets makes zero sense to me

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I agree on Gauthier, but the hope is that he is a bottom 6 player at best. He's not even a top 10 prospect in the organization. I'll agree that I would've liked to see more though.

Kravstov started on the 4th line for like 5-8 games immediately after coming from the KHL to be eased in then was promoted. I'm not going to lose my mind over that. They easily could have said he had no NHL experience and sat him during the playoff push. You don't just throw a kid on the top line day 1 because of their draft position.

He didn't nail anything with Chytil. He was the 3rd best center on the roster getting the 3rd most ice time. Was he to play over Zibanejad? Strome who had a very good year and has great chemistry with Panarin? He had a 1st and 2nd overall pick on his flanks.

I'm no Quinn super fan, but this narrative makes no sense to me. I don't remember once thinking a high level kid was 'buried.' Wasn't Fox among the leaders of TOI in the league? Didn't Miller spend a majority of the year with Trouba.
The issue was trust. He kept hammering the square KZB peg into a round hole. Lafreniere gelled with buch and Mika. Kreider was most effective with Strome. I wasn't a fan of the kid line. Kakko should have gotten the opportunities given to Blackwell, namely PP time and minutes with Panarin.

This line up screamed top 9 deployment. But he built everything around a trusted and veteran top 6. Quinn could have dispersed vets and youth evenly, a balance of energy and experience to help both ends of the spectrum. But that would force Quinn to trust the kids in important situations.

Quinn fought the obvious, and that's my issue. Lafreniere came alive with Mika, but he couldn't help himself into falling into his comfort zone. Chytil, who I'm not sold on, should have played more with Panarin to answer this question. Especially with Strome having chemistry with Kreider. Quinn's job is to get the most out of this roster but he settled for known quantities. The PP situation was a microcosm of his mentality. Lean on the vets and believe that 15 seconds for the kids is accomplishing something.

I actually have no complaints about defense in all honesty. I give credit where it's due.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Team MVP: Fox
Players’ Player: Lindgren
Good Guy Award: Smith

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
"This guy is amazing and effective, every team needs it. But we really need him off this roster. But he's the best, trust me."
You nailed it. And while I think the team could use more toughness, this "protecting the players" is still BS IMO. It's still not a real deterrent, the star players got in the bad end of a dirty play plenty of times with enforcers around. Wilson still grabs Panarin and tosses him, didn't people read his and WSH players interviews as well as DOPS? They thought it was a nothing play. So the next time Wilson is on the ice a tough guy punches him in the face (like Smith tried). So what, Panarin is still out.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
I missed the part where Kassian was the only option?

You're stuck with him unless you want to take back a similarly bad contract, which at that level the Rangers don't have (they have a worse one in Kreider, but that won't happen so its really a non discussion.)

Go away.
Kreider 25% retained and Miller for Darnell Nurse, Zack Kassian 50% retained and Dylan Holloway.
That’s only if Kreider waves.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
This team needs some adults in the room. Just be prepared guys we’re going to get older next season at the expense of some kids.

to me Zack Jones might be dealt as part of a package for a veteran LD

Chytil may be dealt (and we’ll regret it mark my words but I see it happening)

Howden is not going to be here. Neither is gauthier.

Buchnevich just because of cap, kreider’s deal, and having to find spots in the top 6 for kakko Laf Kravtsov has to be dealt.

the real interesting piece will be Mika/Strome are they the guys next year? I think so. Which is why I see a veteran 3C and 4C (cizikas?) coming in

Reactions: bleedblue94

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
This team needs some adults in the room. Just be prepared guys we’re going to get older next season at the expense of some kids.

to me Zack Jones might be dealt as part of a package for a veteran LD

Chytil may be dealt (and we’ll regret it mark my words but I see it happening)

Howden is not going to be here. Neither is gauthier.

Buchnevich just because of cap, kreider’s deal, and having to find spots in the top 6 for kakko Laf Kravtsov has to be dealt.

the real interesting piece will be Mika/Strome are they the guys next year? I think so. Which is why I see a veteran 3C and 4C (cizikas?) coming in

Would be a terrible signing. Like one of the worst ones they can make.

He's going to be significantly overpaid and has so many miles on him. I'd rather pay the extra 2 or so mill it would take to get Danault and let him replace Strome, he's a much better player.

I don't think they're going to commit to Strome/Mika. I have some fear that Eichel is their play but even there I'm not so sure that something gets done this summer either. Buffalo's best play may be to allow him to get his surgery, heal up, and try to trade him at the deadline next year.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
You really think they are going after more kids?

if anything some prospects are goners

I would continue to go after kids; Obviously the owner's directive is to the contrary to an extent.

However, I do think with Drury we will see a mix of moves. I do not think they are going to throw it into gear with "rebuild officiall over" mode and start trading away youth only for older vets. Drury has kinda said on the record he wants to continue down the path that Gorton laid out.

In short, I think acquiring some physically mature, north-south players will definitely be on the agenda, as will be getting kids onto the roster that fit that mold as well - like Schneider and Cuylle.

But Lundell would also be a kid that fits that north-south role that they are seeking, and he also fits with their kid-friendly timeline.

Will this happen? Probably not. I'm not predicting it. Calling any trade before it happens would be an exercise in futility as they are all rare, period.

But I'm saying it makes sense for us on every level. Including even with this new directive from ownership to get "tougher to play against," and "more north-south."

Lundell fits that mold, as an eventual player template, way more than a player like Eichel does.

Reactions: egelband

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Carp mentioned in his article he posted this morning that he thinks it’s 50/50 Quinn is fired (way to go out on a limb Rick lol)

But he also said that if Drury decides to keep Quinn that Quinn will probably be fired after the first losing streak next year

if that’s the case, there is zero reason to bring him back, just rip the bandaid off
Reminds me of an english soccer analyst many moons ago. His prediction before a game: "It could go either way, ......
.or it could be a draw"

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
chytils not a good skater?

he’s a center a shoot first center (Mika was and is still to this day) but he’s a center.

what he’s not is any good defensively or any good at face offs. How much Covid and the hand hurt him is anyone’s guess but he was probably our best center before he got hurt.

this kid needs to be on a scoring line he’s 21 he should be playing with some veteran players. Asking him to be a 3C next to teenagers and be good defensively and somehow score more than 50 pts with the mins he gets makes zero sense to me
He would benefit greatly from skills coaching.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
We actually have some fairly tuff players. Nurse and Khaira can chuck them as well. I watched your line brawl and Smith fight Wilson. It wasnt impressive
Last time I watched Kharia fight he went to sleep / ZZZZ's ..and Nurse turned into a Greco Roman Wrestler with the low leg take down on MacEwen after he caught a dandy from MacEwen .....so we may as well go for either one of them two guys like MacEwen and or Ritchie . Smith can do as much as them two named Oilers . He had a good showing against Wilson....that is all that counts.

Reactions: E-Train

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I'm not trading away Miller just to get rid of Kreider's contract.

im not sure why some think it’s a bad contract today .... maybe in the future

He was a top scorer , plays the PP... maybe give him more pk duties

They still have 2 years on Lafs entry level so Big deal if Kreider is 3rd line

Reactions: haveandare

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad