Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Where in the world is David Quinn?

capsule_616x353.jpg

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Hate Dolan or hate him, he did what a good businesman does... he should run for president... really though, it was out of necessity, less-so would be a defamation lawsuit. Let it die.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Because of his cap hit, he more than likely wouldn't cost much.

He checks nearly all the boxes in the 'needs department'

Well, i'd definitely expect them to retain some $$$. After the Hawks said they were rebuilding, I liked him to replace Strome before he re-signed, but now i'm not even sure what his value is.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Is Jones also on the way to leave CBJ?

This is what I am talking about with accountability with someone like Tortorella. What does it take to do a good job in the eyes of some? Many think Torts is great. He says the right things. How is his track record? He had a team that has been rebuilding since it was founded, won nothing, was never any good, nobody wants to play there. Seth maybe wants out too. Can’t imagine that Laine is a super fan being a 4th lineer for Torts. Before CBJ, Torts took over a good Vancouver team, that over night became one of the worst teams in the league.

Is anyone calling out Torts for his totally horrible result?? He can sell a story. Every time CBJ got close to a PO spot Torts was brought up as coach of the year. Why? He can sell a story.

But at the end of the day, how does this help CBJ now?
They say it’s common knowledge werenski is going to bolt as soon as he can to go home and play with his bf Larkin. And we all know Laine is not going to sign there. There gonna be in trouble

Reactions: Ola

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They say it’s common knowledge werenski is going to bolt as soon as he can to go home and play with his bf Larkin. And we all know Laine is not going to sign there. There gonna be in trouble
Add Seth Jones to that list as well. CLB can’t retain UFAs. They should have sold a long time ago.

Reactions: Ola

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I know Tkachuk fills a need but the last thing this team needs is more high priced wingers
He has something this team does not have, passion, grit, skill, heart all in 1 player. Goes to the net for those ugly goals. Too much finesse never works in the playoffs. Who really goes to the net consistently on even strength? Looking for the beautiful play will hurt this team. They did it too many times this past season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He has something this team does not have, passion, grit, skill, heart all in 1 player. Goes to the net for those ugly goals. Too much finesse never works in the playoffs. Who really goes to the net consistently on even strength? Looking for the beautiful play will hurt this team. They did it too many times this past season.

How has Tkachuk done in his career in the playoffs?

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My gut tells me that the results wouldn't have been too much different regardless of who the coach was. I think some things would've been better, others would've been worse, I think the overall result would've been the same unless they go out and make bigger changes last offseason --- which most reports indicated wasn't really possible.

Either the options they liked weren't interested in spending a year in NYC during a pandemic, or those options preferred a contender, or the price wasn't a match at the time.

In the end, I think Dolan was going likely to erupt no matter what, and at the end of the day his opinion is ultimately the only one that really drives decisions.

I think most everyone on the planet is in agreement of what needed to be changed about this roster, and now that responsibility falls to Drury.

Even now, as he is still here (for now?), I don't think DQ was the line in the sand for all of this. I think the Islander games, the few vets we had being out down the stretch and several other factors really created a perfect storm for the ultimate wildcard --- Jim Dolan. And that wildcard came up.

I too think the whole thing is unfortunate because I think we've built something promising here. I think we can still get there. We just have to hope Dolan stays out and Drury is every bit as good as we hope he can be.

As always, thanks for a respectful reply. I know that I don’t always answer in kind which I appologize for.

I disagree completely on the above. Way to many really big blunders under Gorton in cohorts with DQ. They were obvious, everyone saw them coming and they went uncorrected. The excuses my be sold to reporter Vince and co, but true hockey people won’t buy them and Dolan will get word of it.

I really hope there is some deep soul searching around all corners of Rangerland. It is there, that country club mentality. Glen Sather is the biggest culprit.

We need excellence, professionalism at all levels. Big parts — 14 per cent — of the scouting department can’t be immidiate family to the last two presidents without any merits than just that. Huge parts has been around forever because probably, they have been around forever. We basically never go out and get — anyone — because they are well known and highly respected for their work in the NHL. This basically — NEVER — happen in this organization. Toronto is always associated the young management talents, we have never once engaged one.

Two good men lost their job thanks to this incompetence. Nothing will get better until the organization from top to bottom improves. It doesn’t matter if they can tell a pretty story and make excuses, you can’t rebuild and then not deliver. It won’t fly. A purge is coming that will look like nothing else if change isnt made now. Drury won’t come close to deliver without one. Incompetence just won’t fly.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
As always, thanks for a respectful reply. I know that I don’t always answer in kind which I appologize for.

I disagree completely on the above. Way to many really big blunders under Gorton in cohorts with DQ. They were obvious, everyone saw them coming and they went uncorrected. The excuses my be sold to reporter Vince and co, but true hockey people won’t buy them and Dolan will get word of it.

I really hope there is some deep soul searching around all corners of Rangerland. It is there, that country club mentality. Glen Sather is the biggest culprit.

We need excellence, professionalism at all levels. Big parts — 14 per cent — of the scouting department can’t be immidiate family to the last two presidents without any merits than just that. Huge parts has been around forever because probably, they have been around forever. We basically never go out and get — anyone — because they are well known and highly respected for their work in the NHL. This basically — NEVER — happen in this organization. Toronto is always associated the young management talents, we have never once engaged one.

Two good men lost their job thanks to this incompetence. Nothing will get better until the organization from top to bottom improves. It doesn’t matter if they can tell a pretty story and make excuses, you can’t rebuild and then not deliver. It won’t fly. A purge is coming that will look like nothing else if change isnt made now. Drury won’t come close to deliver without one. Incompetence just won’t fly.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I think Gorton's reputation throughout this process is widely respected. It was respected within the organization and within the sport. Even now, there's really no chatter about how badly things were botched or anything along those lines. It's just not really out there.

Was it perfect? No. And I don't know if any effort by any one ever will be. I do think what Gorton's done is among the upper tier of what we could've expected in 36 months.

That's actually what concerns me the most. Because if some are discontent with what they've seen thus far, heaven help the alternative paths we could've traveled down.

It's funny, where you see incompetency and soul-searching, I see pivots, tweaks and a work in progress that is right about where it should be. And I don't see that soul searching happening with Drury and Sather still here. If you're gonna overthrow the kingdom, you don't leave the crown prince and the queen mother in the castle.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
How has Tkachuk done in his career in the playoffs?

Tkachuk 15 games 3 goals 2 assists

Kreider 80 games 24 goals 39 points..
Mika 15 games 3 goals 11 points as NYR
Buchnevich 8 games 1 assists
Panarin 3 games 1 goal 1 assist

He has more goals than most on this team has in the playoffs, he would be tied with Mika for 2ed in goals in the playoffs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

This is such an interesting situation! And I could not be further from understanding the general sentiment on Columbus and its known associates.

Can someone help explain this one to me, step by step?

If we go back a little more than two years, the scenario we are at today is a total nightmare for CBJ. Reality always beat fiction. It’s like beyond their worst nightmare where they are today compared to two years ago.

Yet — if you ask everyone, they did a great job. Davidson was super proud of his work there, sure he left, but nothing changed, where they are today is a direct result of what he presided over when it was put in place.

Tortorella never did anything wrong, he was perfect. It was only his players fault.

They obviously do a great job with amateur scouting and what not.

The history description say they should have had like 100 + 100 + 100 but the bottom line says -10,000.

There must be accountability also at the management level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad