Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Trouba would be a great mentor for Schneider.

It would be incredible if Nils could somehow play the left side but its a lot to expect. It would make Miller/Jones more expendable for a serious need.

Tkachuk comes down to cost. I am not trading Kakko/Lafreniere for Tkachuk. Wouldnt trade Chytil either. It would also come down to what the Rangers are doing with their LW and RW depth chart. I think Kreider would be fine with playing RW, but to me that means Buch and/or Kravtsov are traded for something else.

Reactions: jay from jersey

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Trouba would be a great mentor for Schneider.

It would be incredible if Nils could somehow play the left side but its a lot to expect. It would make Miller/Jones more expendable for a serious need.

Tkachuk comes down to cost. I am not trading Kakko/Lafreniere for Tkachuk. Wouldnt trade Chytil either. It would also come down to what the Rangers are doing with their LW and RW depth chart. I think Kreider would be fine with playing RW, but to me that means Buch and/or Kravtsov are traded for something else.

Kreider has issues turning left. I don't know if that's true, but he's always looked invisible on the RW.

Him on the RW means he can't protect the puck with his body before taking his shot off the rush.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
We've veen talking about the Tkachuk rumor so I dug it up. Originally a 31 Thoughts item but Google found this link.

https://nhltradetalk.com/matthew-tkachuk-flames-temmates-at-odds/
On his most recent 31 Thoughts podcast, Sportsnet NHL insider Elliotte Friedman reports that things sort of came to a head after Tkachuk’s “puck flipping incident” with Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman Jake Muzzin. He called it a breaking point for the team and that Tkachuk was told the players were not cool with what he was doing night in and night out. In other words, they were turned off by his antics and let him know about it.
Interestingly, Tkachuk is frustrated too. Not just with losing, but because he doesn’t understand why his teammates want him to try and be less of a factor on the ice.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Kreider has issues turning left. I don't know if that's true, but he's always looked invisible on the RW.

Him on the RW means he can't protect the puck with his body before taking his shot off the rush.

Always some weird shit on this board. Best skater on the team can’t turn...Left? Really?

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Always some weird shit on this board. Best skater on the team can’t turn...Left? Really?

I guess sarcasm doesn't come through...

I did give actual reasons I don't like him on the right in the next paragraph.

Also... He's clearly the most powerful skater on the team... But best? Nope.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
I guess sarcasm doesn't come through...

I did give actual reasons I don't like him on the right in the next paragraph.

Also... He's clearly the most powerful skater on the team... But best? Nope.

When Connor McDavid himself publicly states he wanted to skate like Chris Kreider, then yeah... you are the guy.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
When Connor McDavid himself publicly states he wanted to skate like Chris Kreider, then yeah... you are the guy.

Cool story bro...

But yeah... I'm guessing this was during the all star game? If it was said, I'm sure it was talking about Kreider's explosiveness.... Which is simply on another level. But frankly, Kreider's edge work isnt on the same level as many other players.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Kreider is a once in a lifetime straight ahead skater. No one can lean into the skate and blast forward like he can. It’s actually genuinely frightening to see at ice level.

There are different types of skating as literally anyone who has actually played the game can tell you.

Kreider is not, on the other hand, a great “pivotal” skater. The kids of side steps, edge turns, and step overs that DeAngelo and Nylander were so exceptional at.

Backwards skating is it’s whole other can of worms, but I was never very good at it.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I am sure this was posted earlier today, but the part that stood out to me (towards the end of the clip maybe around the 2:10 mark) Friedman says,

“When it comes to Eichel, New York was a team that made an offer for Eichel last year and from what I understand it was an offer that really made the Sabres think. And ultimately they didn’t do it because they said we’re not ready to do this at this time.”

Question for speculation is what was that offer? Did it include Lafreniere/Kakko? I find it hard to believe it did. And Drury was certainly involved in those talks so he is aware what was offered. If the Sabres seriously considered it last year, does Drury present the same offer, more, or less, knowing Eichel is having health issues with his back/hernia/neck? But bottom line is Friedman was pretty confident in his findings/sources that Buffalo seriously considered making the move. Maybe our Insiders have more to add here. There has been a ton of smoke around this and hearing that an offer was seriously entertained last year, just feels like this is going to happen.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Cool story bro...

But yeah... I'm guessing this was during the all star game? If it was said, I'm sure it was talking about Kreider's explosiveness.... Which is simply on another level. But frankly, Kreider's edge work isnt on the same level as many other players.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. If you ever find yourself in a position to ask any of the players or coaching staff the same question you will receive the unanimous decision from each one of them that #20 is the best skater on the club.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I am sure this was posted earlier today, but the part that stood out to me (towards the end of the clip maybe around the 2:10 mark) Friedman says,

“When it comes to Eichel, New York was a team that made an offer for Eichel last year and from what I understand it was an offer that really made the Sabres think. And ultimately they didn’t do it because they said we’re not ready to do this at this time.”

Question for speculation is what was that offer? Did it include Lafreniere/Kakko? I find it hard to believe it did. And Drury was certainly involved in those talks so he is aware what was offered. If the Sabres seriously considered it last year, does Drury present the same offer, more, or less, knowing Eichel is having health issues with his back/hernia/neck? But bottom line is Friedman was pretty confident in his findings/sources that Buffalo seriously considered making the move. Maybe our Insiders have more to add here. There has been a ton of smoke around this and hearing that an offer was seriously entertained last year, just feels like this is going to happen.

It didn’t include the 1 OA.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Kreider is a once in a lifetime straight ahead skater. No one can lean into the skate and blast forward like he can. It’s actually genuinely frightening to see at ice level.

There are different types of skating as literally anyone who has actually played the game can tell you.

Kreider is not, on the other hand, a great “pivotal” skater. The kids of side steps, edge turns, and step overs that DeAngelo and Nylander were so exceptional at.

Backwards skating is it’s whole other can of worms, but I was never very good at it.

DeAngelo is an expectional skater. I like Nylander as well as a Skater. Nick Leddy another one....

but on this team there is no better overall skater then Kreider.
Better players? Yep
Better skater? No way

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

I think so too, and I’m not so sure as a fan I even want it to happen. I mean, the guy is an amazing player. There’s always a “but” attached. Why couldn’t that club ever put it together? How many times can they finish at the bottom before you have to look at the players driving the ship? What scares me most is what is the offer? How do you shed Salary?

Reactions: bl02

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
DeAngelo is an expectional skater. I like Nylander as well as a Skater. Nick Leddy another one....

Better players? Yep
Better skater? No way

End to end no one is faster than Kreider. If you put a curling cone course on the ice, on the other hand, give me DeAngelo all day.

We are kinda short on good skaters outside those two (soon to be one) and Gauthier

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State

Better players? Yep
Better skater? No way
I hope we bring in some players who are better skaters, kinda sucks that both our 1st & 2nd overall picks were guys whose skating is considered a weakness. Laf does look a lot faster than advertised though imo.
Chytil is nearing Kreider level of explosiveness, and may become the better all around skater. I think he is more agile than Kreider. Zibanejad also has excellent top speed.
Kravtsov is a great skater, I think a lot of people were surprised by how fast he is. I do notice he falls down a lot though, put him on the USA Buch gym regimen so he can build some core strength

Reactions: Lion Hound

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I get the sense that Buffalo would want more from us than say someone like LA

If Eichel goes to LA I’d purse Reinhart

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think so too, and I’m not so sure as a fan I even want it to happen. I mean, the guy is an amazing player. There’s always a “but” attached. Why couldn’t that club ever put it together? How many times can they finish at the bottom before you have to look at the players driving the ship? What scares me most is what is the offer? How do you shed Salary?
The cost in assets is what concerns me. If it is reasonable/fair I can live with it. His $10 million AAV isnt a massive concern for me. They can shed salary to make up for that amount. Strome and Smith alone almost get you to that $10 million. Yes of course you would need to replace those players but you can likely get a bargain for a quality vet that will make this team tougher and more balanced compete wise such as a Goodrow and/or Coleman. They could end up dealing Buch to recoup assets while opening some cap space to take on Eichel/Goodrow/Coleman/etc.

Reactions: Lion Hound

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

It didn't include Laf/Kakko. It was said later that NYR was not going to give Buffalo that kind of prospects. The talk was always good player, top prospect and 1st. So my guess is something along Strome/Buch, Miller/Chytil 1st.

Even then, with Eichel's public hissy fit and his serious neck issue and other injury concerns, the price hasn't gone up exactly.

Reactions: egelband and Tob

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Ideally, Jones goes in a trade package and one of Schneider/Lundkvist plays the left side.

Schneider could play the left being primarily a defensive player, but Lundkvist could also play the left to catch passes with his body facing ice open when in the offensive zone, which allows him more creative opportunity naturally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->