Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2021 Offseason) - And so it begins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
If the Rangers had a deal in place for Zibby I think he would waive. He isn’t gonna force a final season here if he thinks they don’t want to extend him
Yeah. Probably true. I think, in general, these clauses are big but not immovable.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Buch for Holloway and Kassian @ 50%
Picks/Prospects for Toews
Sign Chara

Panarin Toews Kakko
Lafreniere Mika Kravtsov
Kreider Strome Chytil
Barron Holloway Kassian

Lindgren Fox
KAM Trouba
Chara Lundkvist

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Welcome. Come for the conversation, stay for the misery.

side note: if the pop-ups start driving you mad and your screen starts flashing and crashes in the middle of you posting which causes you to have to start typing all over again for the price of 4 Starbucks coffees ($12) a year you can become a sponsor and I promise you your experience will be so much more enjoyable.
That’s two coffees these days ;)

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Tkachuk would be exactly what this team needs. I would be willing to throw a lot to Calgary to get him. 2 more years at 8 million, then he's an RFA. 23 years old. I'm talking just about anyone except Lafreniere, Fox, Shesterkin, and the NMC players.

I do agree with Brooks that Miller or Kakko wouldn't make me immediately hang up.
Buch swap...

apparently people were 'getting tired' of his antics. Dont know if thats true... but we would 100% have to beef up further if he was acquired. His antics would get us ragdolled with our current makeup

Reactions: leetch99

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
These charts conveniently leave out that while Zibanejad may not be the best at driving play he is an elite scorer and as such will always outscore xG models.

https://i.gyazo.com/903f25799bceb8c3c9f4a67214dfdf67.png
Yes that is a fair point, however are we really going to count on Zibanejad being the best shooter in the NHL from now on? I'm wondering just how much of it is real, because he was never as good a shooter as he was last season and the second half of this season. How does that skill translate on an aging curve? Add in that the rest of his game seems to be in decline and it is a real concern how an extension would work out.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
My hopes for Drury are that he's an Yzerman, and not a Chiarelli. Look at what the former did in TB. He didn't flinch once when people came calling for his star prospects. We wanted Point or Sergachev, at the end of the day Gorts was begging for Hajek.

The only guaranteed way NOT to lose a Kravtsov or Kakko trade, is to not trade them. I'd throw Nils in there too if we didn't have such a logjam. This is what worries me about accelerating the rebuild. I'd much prefer to wait till the right move presents itself like it always does. We are the NY Rangers, stars flock to us like moths to a flame. Hell, for all we know Mathews will be available in a few years. Wouldn't surprise me the way he negotiated his last contract.

It's all about patience.

Worst case scenario, we don't make any trades and in 4 years we look very similar. This past roster with 4 more years of chemistry and experience is gonna be a damn good team. Like, how could it possibly not?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Joke is on the Sabres, because now all teams know that they are buying damaged goods.
The joke tends to be always on the Sabres. Which is not good for the league. It’s a shame but I guess some of it is self-inflicted.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Few thoughts/comments on some other posts but I'm too lazy to tag all of them :).

• It's not so much that Lindgren is untouchable, it's more that he has meshed as rhe perfect partner for a young Norris candidate in Fox and just resigned to a very friendly (IMO) contract.
  • I would move Kakko in the right deal, such as for a comparable center like Newhook or Byfield.
  • I think Matt Tkachuk is the type of player thr Rangers need in the top 6, but the question is can he play on the right? Or can Laff play on the right? I also wouldn't offer any of Laff/Kakko/Fox/Shesh for him. I'd have to think long and hard about Miller because the Rangers just don't have a Dman in the system like him. May be Robertson but he doesn't project the same as Miller.
  • Rangers need to sh*t or get off the pot this offseason regarding Zib, Strome and Buch. Trade them or extend them. No self rental. Don't go into the season with contract negotiations looming.
  • Back up the Brinx truck now for Fox. 8x$8MM aav.
  • Look to add some combo of Nosek, Goodrow, Martoonick, Oleksiak or Coleman on 1-2 year deals.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
My hopes for Drury are that he's an Yzerman, and not a Chiarelli. Look at what the former did in TB. He didn't flinch once when people came calling for his star prospects. We wanted Point or Sergachev, at the end of the day Gorts was begging for Hajek.

The only guaranteed way NOT to lose a Kravtsov or Kakko trade, is to not trade them. I'd throw Nils in there too if we didn't have such a logjam. This is what worries me about accelerating the rebuild. I'd much prefer to wait till the right move presents itself like it always does. We are the NY Rangers, stars flock to us like moths to a flame. Hell, for all we know Mathews will be available in a few years. Wouldn't surprise me the way he negotiated his last contract.

It's all about patience.

Worst case scenario, we don't make any trades and in 4 years we look very similar. This past roster with 4 more years of chemistry and experience is gonna be a damn good team. Like, how could it possibly not?
This group will get better with age. No need to make a move for the sake of making a move

Reactions: Kords

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
This thread: "I don't want to go back to the Dark Ages."

This thread, the same day: *trades for Malkin and Toews*

I was into Toews before he got sick or whatever. Great leadership and perfect compliment to our skilled wings. Cost permitting of course.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Tkachuk would be a guy I’d absolutely open up to asset coffers for but is he available? Have to imagine he’d be the guy that Calgary would build around after trading Monahan/Gaudreau

Reactions: Daves a mess

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I've always loved Brooksie... Don't get the hate for him.

Maybe it's because I grew up with him and have been reading his articles for 25+ years... but I typically agree with what he writes.
Same here, and that's probably an accurate statement. The guy is a living legend--the hate is originally from jealous communications students/workers.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I was into Toews before he got sick or whatever. Great leadership and perfect compliment to our skilled wings. Cost permitting of course.
Because of his cap hit, he more than likely wouldn't cost much.

He checks nearly all the boxes in the 'needs department'

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Tkachuk would be a guy I’d absolutely open up to asset coffers for but is he available? Have to imagine he’d be the guy that Calgary would build around after trading Monahan/Gaudreau

They probably need to figure out soon if he wants to stay, he’s somehow entering his 6th season in the league next year.

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I think Vegas has the room to fit Zibanejad. Next year is the year it would be tight and then Smith and Fleury are UFA's the off-season Zibanejad's new contract would kick in. Conceivably, the Rangers could retain for next year on Zibanejad and take back a contract (Reaves) and make Vegas' job much easier. Or a 3rd team could step in and offer to do that for a cost.

Let's say the deal is:

Krebs + Reaves + LV 2nd '22 for Zibanejad (full contract)
or
Krebs + Reaves + LV 2nd '22 + NJ 2nd '21 for Zibanejad (50% cap hit)

i think we need to stop talking prospects because we have enough and it’s clear management is big game hunting

Reactions: cheech70
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad