Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Shattenkirk isn't going to take a 4 year deal, IMO

maybe he'd take 6 from the Rangers but I'd be so hugely surprised if he left that much money on the table and put himself in a situation of having to go for another contract at the age of 32

Why? His next contract he'd be 32-33. Andrei Markov is 39 and is requesting 6M per for 2 years. Shattenkirk has the style of play that he will get another $6M+ contract

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I HIGHLY doubt anyone would give him another 5 year deal at 32.

Unlikely, but not unprecedented.

Either way, 4 years x 7 is a much, much better term for Shattenkirk. Still is an issue with our RFAs and McDonagh down the line, but they'll find a way to shed Staal's salary before that.

Zibanejbread

Rebuilding.
Jan 19, 2013
PA
On mobile, but a sinbin.vegas tweet apparently said McPhee can't sign one of their RFAs. Maybe Oscar can come back for no assets?

Edit: May not*

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Or get injured and not get another deal, or struggle as he ages and get a bad deal, or even if he doesn't struggle have nhL teams be wary about giving a 32-33 year old another 5 years at high cost

I guess he could theoretically make more money if he took a 4 year deal now, then signed a 5 year deal for less annual average...would take him further into his 30's and get those extra years of income but it's so risky I don't think anyone would really do it

It's absolutely a risk, but again, safe is death

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Why? His next contract he'd be 32-33. Andrei Markov is 39 and is requesting 6M per for 2 years. Shattenkirk has the style of play that he will get another $6M+ contract

and apparently markov isn't going to get it from the Habs who are looking at Alzner instead

Markov kind of got a sweetheart setup from montreal as well who gave him a lot of loyalty

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
McPhee would probably give Lindberg back to us for like a 2020 5th if they offered it

Guy is terrible at making trades

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
the UFA market for center isn't very good. Thornton and Marleau obviously don't fit the motto of getting younger. but if my options are 1 or 2 years for thornton or 5 years for bonino I take jumbo joe anyday

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
All top free agents nowadays get like 6+ years. We've already heard other teams offering him that. And they are going to offer him 4 at a similar AAV? That's a shameful offer that basically demonstrates they have zero interest. Might as well not even make an offer at all.

Just Bc "top free agents" get 6+ years doesn't mean that it's a good move. In fact getting into these types of bidding wars usually come back to bite teams. Just Bc SK is the best d-man on the martet this summer doesn't mean he shouldn't get that type of money. If the NYR offered 4/28, that's a very fair offer. They are willing to pay him 7 million dollar a year. How that's "insulting" is beyond me.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
interesting concept on 4 years vs 7 years for KS. obviously 7 years is guaranteed $$ so it would be a big risk cause he could get hurt. But he probably isn't getting a big deal at 35 after the 7 years. but after 4 years he could potentially get another 5 year deal. and make more $$ over the rest of his career if he stays healthy

but i have to think that you aren't getting him for the same AAV. to get him for 4 years and eliminate the risk of the bad years at the end of the deal, that you will need to bump up the salary to help offset some the money he is leaving on the table...

and its probably worth taking on another mil per in cap hit to avoid those back end years

but thats an awful lot of guaranteed $$ to walk away from

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I just can't see the San Jose guys leaving the good life and weather in NoCal to come here for a grand total of 12-24 months. Makes zero sense.

The more and more I think about it, I see NJ Native Bonino as the 3C (he doesn't turn 30 until next April..he's not old, get over it) and some buy low guy as the 4C. Nash-Bonino-Grabner might be the best shutdown line in the league.

No Shatty means that Deangelo gets the bulk of the PP time, and it also means that they're going to try one of Bereglazov or Pionk who are physically more mature to play with McD to start the year (and maybe end of the year) with Smith switching between McD/Skjei depending on who is playing well at what point.

As for the main boards, the only way they'd ever respect the Rangers is if 90% of the roster was Canadian on ELCs with good Corsi/Fenwick, one of their main guys was acquired in a fleece for an expiring vet, and the 4th line was made up entirely of fan boy players who had been outcasted from other organizations. They bring up things that happened over 15 years ago because yeah, the Rangers have all 35 year olds on their team :help:

I also expect some vet reclamation project to sign for cheap whether it be Desharnais, Pouliot, Pittlick, or even Hartnell. Remember, Fast is out until November and that means he won't be up to speed until January. There is absolutely zero chance they go with a 4th line of Puempel-Nieves-Gropp/Leedhal/etc.. It ain't happening.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
and is there a more ridiculous concept then the idea that during this week teams are only allowed to discuss interest, they aren't allowed to discuss specific years or $$...yet reporters are putting out exact years and $$ that will be 100% accurate tomorrow. but obviously the teams are following the rules and the reporters are just good guessers lol

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Unlikely, but not unprecedented.

Either way, 4 years x 7 is a much, much better term for Shattenkirk. Still is an issue with our RFAs and McDonagh down the line, but they'll find a way to shed Staal's salary before that.

I'd be willing to go as high as 8 a year for Shatty on a 4 year deal. Never happening though. Its 6-7 years or bust for him.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'd take Hartnell on this team. In a "Hart-beat". Seriously, though. Good player. Hard-nosed and chippy but responsible. He's not out there looking to injure opponents. He always seems to me to be a guy having fun.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Just Bc "top free agents" get 6+ years doesn't mean that it's a good move. In fact getting into these types of bidding wars usually come back to bite teams. Just Bc SK is the best d-man on the martet this summer doesn't mean he shouldn't get that type of money. If the NYR offered 4/28, that's a very fair offer. They are willing to pay him 7 million dollar a year. How that's "insulting" is beyond me.

That's right. Short term. Fair money. Maybe the cap is higher in four years. Win-win. If he says 'no', fine. Enjoy the swamp.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I'd take Hartnell on this team. In a "Hart-beat". Seriously, though. Good player. Hard-nosed and chippy but responsible. He's not out there looking to injure opponents. He always seems to me to be a guy having fun.

Always liked him but he's past the age of effective power forward. If he's willing to accept a 1-2 year deal in the $2 million range, I'd be interested but I don't know if his skating is up to the AV tempo.

I can see a team like LA who plays the heavy game or St. Louis who needs bottom 6 guys giving him a little more $ and PP time.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Shatty has made $21.9 Mill to date. This next contract is the big one. This is his money-maker.

$7 mil for 4 years is still a tremendous amount of money. That would leave him at a career $49.5 mil. And of course the potential to play again. He would only be 31 or so when that expires.

If he takes a 7 year deal at $6.5 thats a $67.4 million dollar career...That's a spicy meatball right there!

...then again, you can't put a price tag on peace of mind!

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
forget who said it earlier in the thread but if we discussed 4 years all week to only throw out a 5th year tomorrow to bridge the game and he takes it that is pure evil genius by JG

TheGuarantee

Jul 1, 2016
Shatty has made $21.9 Mill to date. This next contract is the big one. This is his money-maker.

$7 mil for 4 years is still a tremendous amount of money. That would leave him at a career $49.5 mil. And of course the potential to play again. He would only be 31 or so when that expires.

If he takes a 7 year deal at $6.5 thats a $67.4 million dollar career...That's a spicy meatball right there!

...then again, you can't put a price tag on peace of mind!

But you have to consider the source of the contract too. It'd really come down to money against desire to be winning in NY

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
He is going to take the Devil's deal. 7x7 is too good to turn down if I am him.

The 4 year deal may give him another shot to sign a long term deal at 32, but that is a gamble

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
I've given up hope the Rangers will seriously pursue Shatty. Too many legitimate media guys saying they're not even in consideration. If it was mostly just Brooks I'd buy the posturing angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad